The All-Purpose "It Grinds My Gears" Roster Decisions Thread -- Part II

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Originally Posted by Jannik Handsome View Post
Dorsett did fine at LW when he was playing with Horvat and Hansen. He's there to bring energy, switching sides shouldn't be a significant detriment in that regard.

they got killed in possession.

They did, but ...

When Kenins first joined the line, the possession stats for the Horvat line improved noticeably and immediately, while the line Dorsett joined suffered.

In the last couple of weeks of the regular season, though, the Horvat line, with Kenins, also got killed in possession, often worse than the Vey line. Anyone wanting to check can look at the game by game results on naturalstattrick.

I don't know what it all means and am just pointing out that it wasn't just when Dorsett was on the line that it struggled with possession-related stats.

Apr 11/15 Edm 5 on 5 CF% of:
Kenins 31.03 Horvat 41.67 Hansen 41.94

Apr 9/15 Az 5 on 5 CF% of:
Kenins 27.27 Horvat 26.09 Hansen 36.00

Apr 6/15 LA 5 on 5 CF% of
Kenins 47.62 Horvat 47.62 Hansen 38.71

Apr 4/15 Wpg 5 on 5 CF% of
Baertschi 40.91 Horvat 41.67 Hansen 43.33

and so on

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Yea, I noticed that too due to the your post game post with the corsi stats. They went down drastically.

When Richardson went down it hurt the team pretty badly.

Vey basically replaced Richardson but you can't give that guy increased Dzone starts that's just asking for trouble. So initially the d zone starts got dumped on Bonino. That is a big reason why he wasn't producing.

Now WD is giving a lot of his d-zone starts to Horvat. And people wonder why he slowed down in his production.

If richardson is back this team is way better.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
http://www.puckalytics.com/superwowy.html still has the line at 55.1% CF from march 15 to april 15. a string of four bad games is not a big deal, because everyone has good and bad games

Yup.

On a side note, it is interesting that this team is a possession 'dog' when lines 1, 2 and 4 are good possession lines...? Is the possession shortfall localized to line 3 and the defense?

Bieksa, Vey, Matthias, Dorsett, Sbisa and Stanton couldn't be that bad.

If the latest Kenins-Horvat-Hansen possession numbers bode well, then that remaining group of players are the only remaining sub-par possession players.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Originally Posted by Jannik Handsome View Post
Dorsett did fine at LW when he was playing with Horvat and Hansen. He's there to bring energy, switching sides shouldn't be a significant detriment in that regard.

They did, but ...

When Kenins first joined the line, the possession stats for the Horvat line improved noticeably and immediately, while the line Dorsett joined suffered.

In the last couple of weeks of the regular season, though, the Horvat line, with Kenins, also got killed in possession, often worse than the Vey line. Anyone wanting to check can look at the game by game results on naturalstattrick.

I don't know what it all means and am just pointing out that it wasn't just when Dorsett was on the line that it struggled with possession-related stats.

Apr 11/15 Edm 5 on 5 CF% of:
Kenins 31.03 Horvat 41.67 Hansen 41.94

Apr 9/15 Az 5 on 5 CF% of:
Kenins 27.27 Horvat 26.09 Hansen 36.00

Apr 6/15 LA 5 on 5 CF% of
Kenins 47.62 Horvat 47.62 Hansen 38.71

Apr 4/15 Wpg 5 on 5 CF% of
Baertschi 40.91 Horvat 41.67 Hansen 43.33

and so on

It was 40.8% over an extended period (200 ES min), good and bad combined. Hansen + Horvat, despite shielding and 52.8 Ozone was a poor fit with Dorsett trying to play his wrong side.
Playing the wrong side can hurt some players, a career 4th liner being made less effective by being on his non-natural side, no surprises if he does not look great.

He should play on his better side if they want to keep him, the RS.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Matthias left wing, kills penalties. 18 goals yet at end of a close game when Kenins comes out for defensive reasons Dorsett (right winger and who doesn't kill penalties) goes into Kenins left wing spot and Matthias sits; what's with that!! Almost get the feeling Willie is scared to show Matthias on Horvat's left side because we'd all realize it made sense a long time ago.

Kenins is better than Matthias and is younger. He also isn't soft like Matthias.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Kenins is better than Matthias and is younger. He also isn't soft like Matthias.

Good to see you're right on top of things Jay Cee. Matthias won't be around next year for you to whine about anyway. Kenins I'm thinking might be hard pressed to make team next year. Willing to bet though Matthias' next contract might be a little better than the waiver material you've been asserting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad