The All-Purpose "It Grinds My Gears" Roster Decisions Thread -- Part II

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/0...playing-and-well-always-have-duncan-flamingo/

Seems like Miller will be making a return sometime soon, as they're flying him into Winnipeg tomorrow to join the team. Safe to say we'll be riding Miller heading into the playoffs?

Glad that Miller is getting healthier, as he absolutely is better than Markstrom and it would be great for him to get a couple games in now rather than having to go in cold to a playoff game whether that be Game 1 in the first round or Game 4 in the second.

My main gripe actually would be this portrayal of Miller as some sort of savior, because I'm worried that's how the coaches/management feel too. If Miller is penciled in as the "starter" for the playoffs, it's not going to go well.

Ideally Miller backs up Lack for the Arizona game, starts the Edmonton game and sits on the bench until Eddie falters in the playoffs, or Game 3; whichever comes first.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
if miller gets put in game 1 after one game back, he better have an out of this world performance. this city is unforgiving in those situations.

You mean for WD's sake?

I can see Vancouver fans forgiving Miller in that situation, but WD would be second guessed for a long time if Miller started game 1 with a mediocre performance.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You mean for WD's sake?

I can see Vancouver fans forgiving Miller in that situation, but WD would be second guessed for a long time if Miller started game 1 with a mediocre performance.

I don't know, Lui got blamed for lots of things that were not his fault. He had bad games and was left in net. People still blamed him for anything that could be his fault.

People already aren't fans of millers strictly because of his contract. Something like this could definitely blow up in his face.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Markstrom should of had Chicago, Lack showed fatigue in the Nashville game. And we stole that one, should have treated Chicago like a great team to test him without Kane.

Now Eddie plays La making it 5 in 7 nights.

We want Green
We want Green
I want Green

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Markstrom should of had Chicago, Lack showed fatigue in the Nashville game. And we stole that one, should have treated Chicago like a great team to test him without Kane.

We want Green
We want Green
I want Green

Do you honestly think 3 coaches in 3 years is a good formula for success? I'm curious. Because that's Edmonton level incompetency.

Jun 15, 2014

We want Green
We want Green
I want Green

:facepalm:

I cannot cringe harder at this. Are you serious?

HOW DOES ANYONE HAVE FAITH IN MARKSTROM?!

Booshami

Apr 19, 2012
Vancouver
:facepalm:

I cannot cringe harder at this. Are you serious?

HOW DOES ANYONE HAVE FAITH IN MARKSTROM?!
It's more of resting Lack then it is of Markstrom playing. Willie played Lack in his 3rd game in 4 nights when the following game he had to face a lot of shots. Instead, he plays Lack and we lose. So since we didn't clinch a playoff spot, he plays him in today where it was clear as day he was tired. But now look, he has to play AGAIN because it's against L.A.... what happens if we lose against L.A. and we still don't clinch? He will play the next game as well. This is why I don't understand why he didn't play Makstrom against Chicago...

Jun 15, 2014
It's more of resting Lack then it is of Markstrom playing. Willie played Lack in his 3rd game in 4 nights when the following game he had to face a lot of shots. Instead, he plays Lack and we lose. So since we didn't clinch a playoff spot, he plays him in today where it was clear as day he was tired. But now look, he has to play AGAIN because it's against L.A.... what happens if we lose against L.A. and we still don't clinch? He will play the next game as well. This is why I don't understand why he didn't play Makstrom against Chicago...

He didn't play against Chicago cause we are in the thick of a playoff race and we need points if not wins. Markstrom's play has also given the coaching staff no confidence. Lack is our better goalie and we need to play him to give our boys the best chance to win. Miller is also coming back soon, if that means anything at all.

Bottom line though, Lack gives us the best chance to win and we need wins. We haven't clinched anything yet, this is playoff hockey. It's like wanting to rest Miller (ex) in the playoffs when we have a 3-1 lead.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
He didn't play against Chicago cause we are in the thick of a playoff race and we need points if not wins. Markstrom's play has also given the coaching staff no confidence. Lack is our better goalie and we need to play him to give our boys the best chance to win. Miller is also coming back soon, if that means anything at all.

Bottom line though, Lack gives us the best chance to win and we need wins. We haven't clinched anything yet, this is playoff hockey. It's like wanting to rest Miller (ex) in the playoffs when we have a 3-1 lead.

Why not play the Sedins 25 minutes a night then? Or play the top 2 pairs 30 minutes a night each to keep Sbieksa off the ice? Because it makes absolutely no sense either short or long term. Players need recovery time to perform well.

They lost the last 2 games with Lack in net anyway, so all they did was waste an opportunity to rest their goalie. It's not like the difference between a gassed Lack and a fresh Markstrom is all that great anyway.

Booshami

Apr 19, 2012
Vancouver

We were in perfect position after beating Nashville. Even if Markstrom lost against Chicago we would have a rested Lack for Winnipeg.

It was obvious to rest Lack after the Nashville game, he looked fatigue at the end of it and it showed in this game. If we had lost the Nashville game, then i'd be fine with putting Lack in against Chicago.

Jun 15, 2014
Why not play the Sedins 25 minutes a night then? Or play the top 2 pairs 30 minutes a night each to keep Sbieksa off the ice? Because it makes absolutely no sense either short or long term. Players need recovery time to perform well.

They lost the last 2 games with Lack in net anyway, so all they did was waste an opportunity to rest their goalie. It's not like the difference between a gassed Lack and a fresh Markstrom is all that great anyway.

We were in perfect position after beating Nashville. Even if Markstrom lost against Chicago we would have a rested Lack for Winnipeg.

It was obvious to rest Lack after the Nashville game, he looked fatigue at the end of it and it showed in this game. If we had lost the Nashville game, then i'd be fine with putting Lack in against Chicago.

I understand where you both are coming from. Although I believe the whole rest thing is a bit overblown every now and then, ideally Lack would've had some rest on the road trip. However, I also see why he hasn't and why we're riding him 'till we clinch. Has Markstrom given us any reason to believe he can play against any team besides the bottom feeders? Is Lack the better goalie? Who gives us the best chance to win, rested or not?

Hindsight is a funny thing, though.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I understand where you both are coming from. Although I believe the whole rest thing is a bit overblown every now and then, ideally Lack would've had some rest on the road trip. However, I also see why he hasn't and why we're riding him 'till we clinch. Has Markstrom given us any reason to believe he can play against any team besides the bottom feeders? Is Lack the better goalie? Who gives us the best chance to win, rested or not?

Hindsight is a funny thing, though.

It's hardly hindsight when people have been saying this for a while now. It wouldn't be so annoying if this all wasn't so predictable.

Markstrom could've easily gotten one of the TOR/PHI/CBJ games 2.5 weeks ago and if the Canucks wanted to play Lack this much on the road trip he should've gotten the COL or DAL game before they left.

But really, no matter what happened before the trip you should never play one goalie 5 time in a week with travel between each game. That's just asking for trouble. Not only do tired players perform poorly, they're also more likely to get injured. I find it odd that a coach who'll play Dorsett 14 minutes some nights to keep his top players fresh thinks playing his goalie this much is reasonable.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Do you honestly think 3 coaches in 3 years is a good formula for success? I'm curious. Because that's Edmonton level incompetency.

I think those two things are not related,

If we miss the playoffs, specifically from Lack being over played.

I am not sure how Willie is immune to the boot especially if Green just won the championship, and all these young guys like Corrado, and Biega are the answer to a glue factory ready Bieksa and Sbisa "get the hell away from my team" pizza

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

I am not sure how Willie is immune to the boot especially if Green just won the championship, and all these young guys like Corrado, and Biega are the answer to a glue factory ready Bieksa and Sbisa "get the hell away from my team" pizza

We literally can only miss the playoffs if we lose all our games in hand and the teams behind us win out.

Its seriously not happening.

Willie also won a Calder, has won other more impressive things at all levels and he was an assistant coach in the NHL. Green has two years of HC and was an assistant coach before that on a WHL team that was stacked due to tampering and cheating. It's. not. happening.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It's hardly hindsight when people have been saying this for a while now. It wouldn't be so annoying if this all wasn't so predictable.

Markstrom could've easily gotten one of the TOR/PHI/CBJ games 2.5 weeks ago and if the Canucks wanted to play Lack this much on the road trip he should've gotten the COL or DAL game before they left.

But really, no matter what happened before the trip you should never play one goalie 5 time in a week with travel between each game. That's just asking for trouble. Not only do tired players perform poorly, they're also more likely to get injured. I find it odd that a coach who'll play Dorsett 14 minutes some nights to keep his top players fresh thinks playing his goalie this much is reasonable.

You should probably tell Minnesota that. They are rolling and playing dubnyk far more then lack because they dont like the other options. Talbot also played almost every game when lundqvist went down just like eddie. Eddie has been riding the pine for most of the year on the bench, ideally im sure these coaches would love to give these guys more days off but they clearly dont trust the backups at a crucial point in the season.

Also not sure what is predictable, lack had fantastic games against the blues and hawks, he had poor ones vs jets and nashville (nashville more so early in the game) like any goalie would, who was tired or not. You can believe he is fatigued after every loss when he has a poor game but then i have no idea why hes having these amazing games sandwiched in between. I would feel lack is fatigued if he started to have a string of bad games like last year, but i am not seeing that. Even the nashville game imo he came up huge later in the game and stole that win. He is a huge reason this team is at 95 points.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Bingo

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
As if the Sbisa - Bieksa pair isn't bad enough, it seems like Willie loves to put the Vey line out there at the same time.

Disaster.

Jun 15, 2014
Again, Markstrom gives WD and the coaching staff zero confidence. Especially in a playoff race.

I don't disagree with any of you, I just merely understand and tend to agree with Willie on this one.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

I f we miss the playoffs, it won't be because Lack was overplayed or WD's coaching. It will be because we're weak on defence and short a couple of top six players. Bonino, Higgins and even Burrows are not top six players and it's thanks to WD for the getting the most out of this roster. Nothing has changed from the start of the season when the prevailing sentiment was that the Canucks were a team with one first line and three third lines. I don't give a !@#t if Bowman, Arbour or whoever is coaching this team, wouldn't make any difference.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah exactly. The goalie management has been horrible this year all-around.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Yeah. It really doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad