The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT V

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
IF the teams ahead of us are very focused on forwards I could see him drop. Its tough to think of Ekblad dropping to 6 but we can all dream...

Potential scenario:
1. Florida takes Reinhart
2. Buffalo takes Bennet (they've selected D in the 1st round of 2 of the last 4 drafts)
3. Oilers take Draisatl, looking for a big C
4. Flames take MDC for a big winger to play with Monohan down the road
5. Islanders take the best winger available (ritchie, Virtanen, Ehlers) to hopefully mesh with Tavares (Islanders have also selected 2 Dmen in a row in the 1st round)
6. Ekblad drops to the Canucks

Ekblad goes before MDC no matter who is picking and even NYI would be unlikely to let him pass in favour of the available wingers. Team need can play a small role but even Nashville had to bite on Jones last year despite their wealth on D and scarcity of scoring forwards. Ekblad won't slide to 6.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Ekblad goes before MDC no matter who is picking and even NYI would be unlikely to let him pass in favour of the available wingers. Team need can play a small role but even Nashville had to bite on Jones last year despite their wealth on D and scarcity of scoring forwards. Ekblad won't slide to 6.

My thought is the Islanders have 4 years to convince Johnny T to stay. If they don't get him elite talent to play with and make playoff pushes by then, he bolts, period.

MDC in 3 years could be that elite winger to play with Tavares. I think that is pretty tempting. Nashville is a special case. I don't see the Isles selecting Dmen in that many drafts.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
So pretty much everyone agrees that if someone falls out of top 5, we pick him. If not, people want one of Ritchie/Virtanen/Nylander/Ehlers.

If someone falls and the Canucks dont pick him. I will cry and dolphin dive out of my window like in Call of Duty.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
How would you guys react if Drasaitl falls to us and we pick Ritchie instead?

I would be as disappointed
as much as I like Ritchie, I'd pick Draisaitl over him without looking back.
however, I would also feel disappointed if the Canucks picked Virtanen over Ritchie

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
My thought is the Islanders have 4 years to convince Johnny T to stay. If they don't get him elite talent to play with and make playoff pushes by then, he bolts, period.

MDC in 3 years could be that elite winger to play with Tavares. I think that is pretty tempting. Nashville is a special case. I don't see the Isles selecting Dmen in that many drafts.

Ekblad is likely to make an impact sooner than MDC who needs to fill out his 6'2 182 lb frame before he jumps to the NHL. Ekblad will play next season almost certainly. NYI has some nice young D but none near Ekblad's potential. BPA will trump need when the gap is as large as Ekblad- MDC.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Does anybody know where to get info/updates on the combine? I've checked the upcoming TSN and Sportsnet schedule and have found nothing,

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Does anybody know where to get info/updates on the combine? I've checked the upcoming TSN and Sportsnet schedule and have found nothing,

Twitter updates from people that are at the combine?

I think NHL web posts updates as well.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
From what i recall, they only show up for the fitness testing which is next weekend on the 31st. I expect it to be silent on the TSN/Sportsnet front until then.

More interesting during this week will be hearing the leaks on who interviewed who.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
From what i recall, they only show up for the fitness testing which is next weekend on the 31st. I expect it to be silent on the TSN/Sportsnet front until then.

More interesting during this week will be hearing the leaks on who interviewed who.

Dun dun daaaa!!!

Always fun to see.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Huh? Are you implying that Ekblad isn't in the top 5?

I'm not saying it will be Ekblad, I'm saying Ritchie may displace one of the top 5 and I expect Ekblad to drop like Jones did last year.

It could get really interesting if Ehlers gets brought into that top 5 along with Richie

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
I would quit being a Canuck fan again.

passing on Malkin light would be a borderline [MOD] move.

But yes. Ritchie would be great, I could see him playing right away but a big centre with wheels and hands is rare. So rare that I sort of wonder what Bennett and Reinhart really have over this guy. My crystal ball is cloudy....

Last edited by a moderator:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
But yes. Ritchie would be great, I could see him playing right away but a big centre with wheels and hands is rare. So rare that I sort of wonder what Bennett and Reinhart really have over this guy. My crystal ball is cloudy....

Reinhart is not much smaller than Draisaitl...

Reinhart is 6'1, 185 ... Draisaitl is 6'1, 210.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finnish Your Czechs

Sep 8, 2008
How far would you be willing to go to get the 1st overall from Florida?

Is it in our best interest?

If Kesler went to Anaheim for a package including the 10th overall and we got the 1st overall as well, we could draft 2 BC boys in Reinhart and Virtanen

Florida is reportedly high on Ehlers and could probably get him with the 6th pick

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Hey Feebs, do you know of anyone I can follow on Twitter that might have updates on the combine?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I wouldn't be too upset. I'm really high on Nick Ritchie.

I will be disappointed if we don't make a trade for the #1 pick. I am high on Ekblad. I think he will be exactly what this team has never had, a legitimate #1 NHL Dman. I think if we do trade for first overall we should take Aaron Ekblad.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
How far would you be willing to go to get the 1st overall from Florida?

Is it in our best interest?

If Kesler went to Anaheim for a package including the 10th overall and we got the 1st overall as well, we could draft 2 BC boys in Reinhart and Virtanen

Florida is reportedly high on Ehlers and could probably get him with the 6th pick

To furthur this pipe dream, ANA could include WHL offensive defenseman and local BC boy Theodore

Finnish Your Czechs

Sep 8, 2008
To furthur this pipe dream, ANA could include WHL offensive defenseman and local BC boy Theodore

Wouldn't call it a pipe dream at all. Anaheim and Vancouver fans generally agree that Kesler and a package involving the 10th pick is doable.

Florida trading down is also a very real possibility. And trading down to 6th to get a player ranked 6-10th is also very doable.

What makes this a "pipe dream"?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I will be disappointed if we don't make a trade for the #1 pick. I am high on Ekblad. I think he will be exactly what this team has never had, a legitimate #1 NHL Dman. I think if we do trade for first overall we should take Aaron Ekblad.

I would actually be upset if we acquired the top pick and used it on Ekblad. I'd want to target Reinhart. I don't see Ekblad being any better than someone like Erik Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad