The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
Would the oilers actually pass on ritchie? He is what they need! Granted ekbald would be nice for them but doubt they can pull that off

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Would the oilers actually pass on ritchie? He is what they need! Granted ekbald would be nice for them but doubt they can pull that off

Seems like the Oilers need everything!

- a tough-minute, all situations, hard-to-play against defender
- a tough-minute, all situations, hard-to-play against center.
- big bruising power forward

Man, imagine if they drafted Couture, Seguin, Landeskog, and Murray! They'd be pretty set right now!

bo2shink*

Man, imagine if they drafted Couture, Seguin, Landeskog, and Murray! They'd be pretty set right now!

- a coach
- professional mgmt

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

- a coach
- professional mgmt

man, imagine if they had never drafted lowe or signed mactavish. they'd be pretty set right now.

but seriously, out of those taylor hall was the right pick.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

They need centres a lot more than wingers. RNH has taken a step backward offensively and all of their centres have gotten worse defensively for three straight years. Gagner has been on the block since forever. Not likely they'll reach at three. If they don't trade the pick it will be one of the Sams or Ekblad.

LolClarkson*

They need centres a lot more than wingers. RNH has taken a step backward offensively and all of their centres have gotten worse defensively for three straight years. Gagner has been on the block since forever. Not likely they'll reach at three. If they don't trade the pick it will be one of the Sams or Ekblad.

They don't need any picks. They should trade that pick for vets. But knowing them, they will have AHLers in the NHL, teaching AHLers how to play.

Shawn Matthius would look good on their roster.

LolClarkson*

They wouldn't be set. Colorado sucked until they got the horse shoe luck of Patrick Roy bestowed upon them.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Ritchie's weight is getting way too much attention. It's a weakness to be sure but it's also one that is the easiest to remedy. I'd rather he'd be 10-15lbs overweight than have serious skating, intensity, or ice Q issues, or be underweight like 90% of his peers.

If you have the metabolism of an 18 year old and are already well above average in fitness it's harder to gain solid tissue than lose weight. A couple of pro camps, where unlike in junior every shift really is a sprint, and some time to learn to be mindful of caloric intake should do the trick. Just something for Nuck shrinks to assess if he's got the right makeup to follow instructions, like everybody else getting interviewed.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
They don't need more wingers, they need a centre to complement RNH just as much as they need a top pairing d-man.

Yeah, I wish other teams drafting ahead of us were as easy to figure out when it comes to drafting intentions.

Here's a year old article on Oiler struggles at centre: http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/4/17/4230198/oilers-struggles-centre-systemic-slumps-ralph-malph

A year later they wish it was the system, because it's becoming clear that their centres lack two way acumen no matter the coach or system:http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Cult...+better+they+getting+worse/9809273/story.html

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
They wouldn't be set. Colorado sucked until they got the horse shoe luck of Patrick Roy bestowed upon them.

I think the Oilers biggest problem is they lack NHLers that hard to play against. I don't mean they're soft, but they're a collection of guys who really don't excel against top competition.

but seriously, out of those taylor hall was the right pick.
Yeah in a vacuum, I'd agree with that.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Ritchie's weight is getting way too much attention. It's a weakness to be sure but it's also one that is the easiest to remedy. I'd rather he'd be 10-15lbs overweight than have serious skating, intensity, or ice Q issues, or be underweight like 90% of his peers.

If you have the metabolism of an 18 year old and are already well above average in fitness it's harder to gain solid tissue than lose weight. A couple of pro camps, where unlike in junior every shift really is a sprint, and some time to learn to be mindful of caloric intake should do the trick. Just something for Nuck shrinks to assess if he's got the right makeup to follow instructions, like everybody else getting interviewed.

It's actually for this very reason that I'm wary of Ritchie. An elite level athlete turning pro at that young of an age and already carrying too much weight raises questions as to how dedicated his fitness levels are.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It's actually for this very reason that I'm wary of Ritchie. An elite level athlete turning pro at that young of an age and already carrying too much weight raises questions as to how dedicated his fitness levels are.

That's laughable.
With the environment of NHL teammates and coaching staffs and personal trainers his weight is the simplest of issues.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Often its just an education thing with young people. He's an athlete with pro-expectations and will make corrections with the right guidance and mentorship.

Kassian played his first season for us at 230 lbs. He's much fitter now and is now playing at 214.

As a very extreme example of the effects of maturation on work ethic: I weighed 360 lbs at his age and weigh 190 now.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
That's laughable.
With the environment of NHL teammates and coaching staffs and personal trainers his weight is the simplest of issues.

Yeah, I agree.
I suspect he's probably just working out incorrectly and gaining muscle mass instead of lean muscle. It makes him very strong but I think he takes a hit in endurance. When he's introduced to the nutritional standards set by the Canucks as well as their exercise regimen which seems to focus on trimming players down and increasing their flexibility and endurance.
Sometimes, I feel the Canucks are too good at trimming players down.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I'm banking on someone falling to 6th that no one expects. I think Dal Colle or Draitsl could be available. If both are gone I want Nylander.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006

Better to lack dedication to fitness than to lack frame-size, only one is fixable. Guys like Nylander are always going to have a narrrow skinny body-frame.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Better to lack dedication to fitness than to lack frame-size, only one is fixable. Guys like Nylander are always going to have a narrrow skinny body-frame.
Nylander is not exactly narrow. Has one of those short-stout-guy things going for him. Ehlers is someone I'm more worried about in that regard

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Cory Schneider was a guy who also just made himself bigger in his post-draft training rather than fitter and better conditioned.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Are you suggesting Nash didn't have skill, he just learnt how to be good at basketball once he got into the NBA?

Don't confuse players that have both skill and athleticism, most of the great athletes do have both. The comment was made you can teach skill, but not athletic abilities.

Yes that is pretty much what I am saying. except not once he got to the NBA, it started in highschool, where he was really good, then in college where he was top 50. But you look at his NBA career, and look at his development curve in comparison to others. It took him longer to learn to be "good".

He litterally could have gone pro in one of 3 sports, Soccer, Lacross, or Basketball. He trained hard at basketball, and got the skills to become the player he was, but much of what he started from as an athlete was god given.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Looking at BPA vs player who's skills fit well into the Canucks as a team, I no longer think Richie or Nylander will be good picks for the Canucks.

I don't think Richie's style of play where he bulls over smaller players will translate as well to the AHL or NHL. Virtanen plays a better power forward game than Richie.

As skilled as Nylander is, I don't trust his father trying to push favoritism and dictate how and when his son should play, all to the detriment of the rest of the team. Shades of Cody Hodgson.

My choice for the 6th overall pick is Brendan Pernini with a close second being Jake Virtanen. It would be fantastic if we could get both and as both are rated later on most draft lists, it may be possible to trade to draft a spot or two later and pick up a second round pick or so & work it with other assets to get another late top ten pick. Both players have size, excellent shots, speed and good hockey IQ. I think Pernini has just a bit higher potential than Virtanen plus he's better at controlling puck possession.

My third pick would be Ehlers. Potentially a new Bure, but still a big risk compared to Pernini or Virtanen. My fourth pick would be Fleury. Even including Stanton, we really don't have a LD prospect with the skill level to likely develop into a top four LD. All our LD prospects are potentially 3rd pairing. Our top prospect depth is RD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad