The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I could see it happening. The swing pick is BUF. If they like Bennett more, they take him at #2 and then Reinhart drops to #4. FLA should take Ekblad and EDM will likely take Draisaitl. Very plausible.

MDC to NYI would then be academic. Leaving VAN to make the first really controversial pick of the draft, yay! ;)

Might as well start stitching Virtanen on the back of the Canucks jersey right now...

It's certainly a very plausible scenario.

Though most of the scenarios i see hinge on Ekblad actually going #1 overall, which i'm not convinced is necessarily a slam dunk. I think that's the first big "swing pick", though it's often just booked straight in as Ekblad.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Are you suggesting that the "race card" is never played?

Race card goes both ways. If you play it, you are a loser. That doesn't mean racism doesn't exist by any stretch of the imagination.

And that's as far as I'll go because that's as far as this conversation should have gone in such a thread.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's certainly a very plausible scenario.

Though most of the scenarios i see hinge on Ekblad actually going #1 overall, which i'm not convinced is necessarily a slam dunk. I think that's the first big "swing pick", though it's often just booked straight in as Ekblad.

Yeah, especially considering that FLA passed on the much better Jones. This draft, if FLA keeps the pick, I can't see FLA passing on Ekblad. At some point, they have to shore up their defense and now seems a good a time as any.

Guess we'll see.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Yeah, especially considering that FLA passed on the much better Jones. This draft, if FLA keeps the pick, I can't see FLA passing on Ekblad. At some point, they have to shore up their defense and now seems a good a time as any.

Guess we'll see.

I dunno Man Barkov is pretty awesome. He's going to be a very good player

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I could see it happening. The swing pick is BUF. If they like Bennett more, they take him at #2 and then Reinhart drops to #4. FLA should take Ekblad and EDM will likely take Draisaitl. Very plausible.

MDC to NYI would then be academic. Leaving VAN to make the first really controversial pick of the draft, yay! ;)

Might as well start stitching Virtanen on the back of the Canucks jersey right now...

I think that's exactly what's going to happen.
Edm is picking Draisaitl no matter what.
NYI are picking dal colle.
They're easily the best fits.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
im suggesting the racism thing is a lot more common, and each episode massively more damaging. im sure there are people who stretch good sense to take advantage of bad situations but ho-sang is clearly not doing that (among other cues, everything he says is insightful and measured)

Personally I think Ho-Sang is excusing his poor behavior by playing the race card...he believes he's the "misunderstood athlete" that's being judged because of his race, rather than because of his giant ego.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Personally I think Ho-Sang is excusing his poor behavior by playing the race card...he believes he's the "misunderstood athlete" that's being judged because of his race, rather than because of his giant ego.

Bin-****ing-go.

Still don't understand how race comes into play; it seems that people are turned off by his attitude especially in the context of an interview. In any team, you want players who can temper their own egos for the sake of their team and Ho-Sang seems like someone who'd put himself before all else based on this interview. You want confident athletes with swagger but with knowledge that humbleness and acceptance plays a huge role determining not only your character but your worth as a player especially one who is growing.

Jarome Iginla is most definitely not a comparable; when Jarome was drafted, the NHL was largely a white-only league with acceptance coming slowly. He also won the most sportsmanlike award in the Memorial Cup tournament, something Ho-Sang would definitely not be up for.

When you have someone who places blame on the world around him, I see an immature person who doesn't understand that it's not always the world that's at fault but the person him. Even if there is an erroneous perception of him around the league, the sign of a mature player is one who grows past the criticism and silences it by his conduct on and off the ice and as part of the team. I've never seen P.K in the recent years ***** about being a targeted black player in the league and the criticism that inevitably comes from it. I've never seen the Sedins ***** about not being respected as players. Quit *****ing about your ranking in the draft because really, the draft isn't a measure of a player's worth; the measurement comes when you actually play the ****ing game.

Too bad he can't silence his ego; I see him as a top 20, even a top 15 pick in this draft.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I definitely side with Ho Sang regarding those quotes. Regardless of whether or not the comments were intended to be racist, they can certainly be perceived that way and reasonably strike a nerve. He expressed his views candidly and reasonably respectfully- I didn't view the comments as whiney or as excuses related to his play. I wouldn't be shocked if it were intentional, but that's really besides the point.

Where are the quotes that suggest that he's being cocky? I didn't feel that the ones on the last few pages did.

If this is what the " attitude problems" were all about, draft the kid in the second, Christ, this is neither a concern or anything, really.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Where are the quotes that suggest that he's being cocky? I didn't feel that the ones on the last few pages did.

The one that stands out is when he said he heard the Leafs were looking to trade up, but advises them to stand pat at 8 and be able to take the #1 player anyways (i.e. himself)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The one that stands out is when he said he heard the Leafs were looking to trade up, but advises them to stand pat at 8 and be able to take the #1 player anyways (i.e. himself)
Ahh, okay I didn't see those ones.

In that case, crucify the f***er :p:

But I don't think the racism thing is out of line at all

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
"Imagine if I played with X and Y I would be ranked higher"

"Why doesn't Team Canada pick me"

"I would pick me as #1 in the draft. **** all the rankings"

"Racism is the reason why scouts don't like me"

When a good deal of teams who interview you are disappointed, there's probably something wrong with the player as opposed to the league itself. I acknowledge the league has issues with racism and being behind in times but I stand by the belief that Ho-Sang constitutes largely the problem with the perception of him.

I also find it funny how he says that he can deal with the perception of others and where he's ranked on the draft in the article when all he does is rag on the fact that he's not ranked as highly as he should be because of X and Y.

I do also believe that he may grow out of it (lot of players have ego issues at his age) and I wouldn't hesitate to draft him with a 2nd.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
thought josh ho sang was a korean. last name sounds korean. would be what the third korean player to play in the nhl?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Jamaican father

Jewish mother

Where in the hell does the asian "Ho-Sang" come into play?

http://colorofhockey.com/2013/10/25/josh-ho-sang-a-diverse-star-in-the-making/

William Douglas said:
If you’re searching for diversity in hockey look no further than Windsor Spitfires right wing Josh Ho-Sang - a skating United Nations.

The Canadian-born 17-year-old’s father is a black Jamaican of Chinese descent, his mother is Chilean with Russian and Swedish bloodlines, and is Jewish.
Another article says his great-grandfather (his father's presumably paternal grandfather) was from Hong Kong.

All this just shows that simplifying him to "a black kid" is kind of glib.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
this is a really cool chart

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/19/nhl-draft-statistics-ohl-whl-big-board/

i havent read the conclusions yet

Thanks .. Solidifies what I feel about sam Reinhart.

Reinhart: Forget that he’s not quite an elite goal-scorer. His 1.75 points-per-game put him into the company of PKane, Tavares, Hall, Stamkos, and Seguin. Will he be a Kane or Stamkos type of star? Probably not. Could he reach Tavares’s or Seguin’s current level? Numbers suggest he very well could. His 28.4% top 5 is a nice contextual stat. He is also ideal scorer’s height at 6’1″.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Makes Reinhart look like a great pick.

he and fabbri measure really well on this. makes ritchie look better than i might have thought. virtanen doesnt show wonderfully, but he has at least one thing that makes it look like he probably won't bust.

i like how he grabbed a few other good even strength goal scorers and it happens to be three canuck picks and three other dudes. i never noticed the pattern, but i wonder if our scouts have been prioritizing that?

ya well, people responded to me so :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad