The All-Purpose 6th Overall Discussion Thread PT IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
if We could come out of the draft with Virtanen and Ehlers I would quickly get over the sting of not getting Reinhart

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Ritchie is ranked 4th by a lot of GMs, possibly even in the top 3.

His combination of size and scoring ability is very rare. I don't think there's been many juniors to come out of the CHL standing at 6'4 and had his offensive output on a weak Petersborough team. Probably one of the best power forward prospects in a long time.

With that said, if Reinhart or Bennett falls to where Calgary picks, these two are no-brainers over Ritchie unless they have a strong preference for large players.

We just need the Oilers to pass on Draisaitl, that's the only way we're getting an elite prospect this year if we stay put. I think Burke would pick Ritchie over Draisaitl, and Snow would take Dal Colle.
Draisaitl is a better version of Ritchie. If Edmonton doesn't take him (which they will) Calgary will.
NYI are taking MDC for sure too.

The question is who does Florida take. They could use ekblad for sure, but he's far from a lock at #1

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't believe anything Brian Burke says. He's full of fluff

True, but then he is just talking about 5 players in general. He's not singling one out. No harm in that.

Personally, I do think he values Ritchie more than MDC and/or Draisaitl.

They might pass over MDC for Ritchie, but not Reinhart / Bennett

Not the Sams, but I think he would pass over Draisaitl.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Draisaitl is a better version of Ritchie. If Edmonton doesn't take him (which they will) Calgary will.

The question is who does Florida take. They could use ekblad for sure, but he's far from a lock at #1

Draisaitl and Ritchie are two very different players. Ritchie is a winger who plays a traditional hard hitting powerforward game with a high end shot and good puck skills. Draisaitl is a play making center who uses his size not to punish, but to keep plays alive and protect the puck, has elite vision and puck skills.

Burke has expressed interest in Ritchie but not Draisaitl, saying he doesn't like Draisaitl. Don't ask me for the source, because it's been posted numerous times before and I will not dig through a few hundred pages to find it.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
yeah, what the ****?

'“I think colour definitely plays a factor in perception,†said Ho-Sang.

“People watch my games and are very critical. When I start dangling, my GM calls me a Harlem Globetrotter. Why am I a Harlem Globetrotter? Analogies get related to basketball all the time with me. I don’t play basketball. I’ve never played basketball. I’m a hockey player. Why are they doing that?

“When I do anything, I’m just another black kid with attitude. I think I get misunderstood because these guys want to figure me out without talking to me and try to come up with every single reason why there’s something wrong with me.'

i want him more now tbh after that article. thats a good line from a 17 year old. almost everything he says is awesome

i think the real shock here is that Steve ****ing Simmons wrote that article

Yeah, props to him for coming out and saying that. Don't think it's as big an issue as it seems.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Draisaitl and Ritchie are very different players. Ritchie is far more direct, and a better shooter. I would also say Ritchie has better agility. Draisaitl is more cerebral, a better passer/playmaker, but tries to slow the game down a lot.

For play style, it's like trying to say that Kopitar is a better version of Nash. Doesn't really make sense.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I no longer think he will. Not from his latest interview anyways.

No, what I'm preparing for is the eventual backlash to the Virtanen pick at #6. Gonna be a loooong summer. :laugh:

ive prepared a long string of anger to direct towards management when our summer is kesler traded for a single pick and they use it to get virtanen and ritchie

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
ive prepared a long string of anger to direct towards management when our summer is kesler traded for a single pick and they use it to get virtanen and ritchie

They get Ritchie and Virtanen with 1 pick, cool. Sign me up for that. ;)

Like those two prospects though...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
im just holding up a sign in the back of the draft that says "NO FATTIES"

:laugh:

You FATist.

-----

Anyways, I look forward to Virtanen being gone at #4, and Ritchie going at pick #5. Leaving MDC and Bennett there for the Canucks, inciting a whole new tidal wave of Rants about picking the 'wrong' guy.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Draisaitl and Ritchie are two very different players. Ritchie is a winger who plays a traditional hard hitting powerforward game with a high end shot and good puck skills. Draisaitl is a play making center who uses his size not to punish, but to keep plays alive and protect the puck, has elite vision and puck skills.

Burke has expressed interest in Ritchie but not Draisaitl, saying he doesn't like Draisaitl. Don't ask me for the source, because it's been posted numerous times before and I will not dig through a few hundred pages to find it.
Yeah I'm aware of the differences, but if Draisaitl is on the board I don't see any reason at all they wouldn't pick him.

Either way it won't matter because Edmonton is going to pick him.

If Florida picks ekblad (?) then it'll go
2. Sam
3. LD
4. Sam
5. MDC

It's as good as done.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah I'm aware of the differences, but if Draisaitl is on the board I don't see any reason at all they wouldn't pick him.

Either way it won't matter because Edmonton is going to pick him.

If Florida picks ekblad (?) then it'll go
2. Sam
3. LD
4. Sam
5. MDC

It's as good as done.

I don't see any reason not to take Draisaitl either.

But we're not Burke, and he did indeed praise Ritchie while question Draisaitl.

And yes, if Ekblad goes first, the only potential faller would be Dal Colle, who our management allegedly isn't so high on (does not have him in a group with the big 4).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't see any reason not to take Draisaitl either.

But we're not Burke, and he did indeed praise Ritchie while question Draisaitl.

And yes, if Ekblad goes first, the only potential faller would be Dal Colle, who our management allegedly isn't so high on (does not have him in a group with the big 4).
NYI will take MDC, they neeeeed him to play with Tavares to try to get Tavares to re-sign in the future.
I could see NYI passing on all other top 5 players for MDC, he fits their biggest need too well.

If Florida doesn't take ekblad then I'm ****ed, don t really know how it'll shake out in that case.....?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
NYI will take MDC, they neeeeed him to play with Tavares to try to get Tavares to re-sign in the future.
I could see NYI passing on all other top 5 players for MDC, he fits their biggest need too well.

If Florida doesn't take ekblad then I'm ****ed, don t really know how it'll shake out in that case.....?

If they take one of the Sams, the other one will be taken by Buffalo.

Oilers will probably be forced to take Ekblad at 3rd overall, if they don't noone falls. If they do, Draisaitl is primed to fall to the Canucks, as they reportedly their top 4 has 3 centers.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013

Actually they were saying today NYI is shopping their 5th pick pretty hard.. So... What was the point of hanging onto it? THey should have just gave it to Buffalo and tried for Mcdavid next year.. That franchise is such an embarrassment

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I no longer think he will. Not from his latest interview anyways.

No, what I'm preparing for is the eventual backlash to the Virtanen pick at #6. Gonna be a loooong summer. :laugh:

To rectify what some think of me I will say this: I have no problem with the Canucks taking Virtanen at 6 over others I like better.

I would have a big time problem if the same core is playing opening night.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Actually they were saying today NYI is shopping their 5th pick pretty hard.. So... What was the point of hanging onto it? THey should have just gave it to Buffalo and tried for Mcdavid next year.. That franchise is such an embarrassment

Ugh. I'm hoping Benning is all over this opportunity. It's not often you come across teams in NYI's situation.

Has to do everything in his power to convince Edler to waive for NY.

If we can move up for the first on top of that, we can probably come away with Dal Colle and Reinhart in the same draft.

Bps21*

It makes less sense for Garth to make a pick than trade it for someone ready to contribute now. He's on borrowed time and needs to win. If he doesn't win he won't be around to see the McDavid draft anyway. Which is why he gave up the pick despite running a franchise that has made the playoffs twice since the turn of the century. Teams with a desperate man at the helm can be taken advantage of.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If they take one of the Sams, the other one will be taken by Buffalo.

Oilers will probably be forced to take Ekblad at 3rd overall, if they don't noone falls. If they do, Draisaitl is primed to fall to the Canucks, as they reportedly their top 4 has 3 centers.
That would be a damn near miracle and I might wet my pants immediately. With monahan there's atleast a half chance cgy skips over LD for a big winger. (I wouldn't)

They need more immediate help on wing, MDC might not be quite NHL ready this season.
It's all to get Tavares happy and scoring points to re-sign. He leaves and they're worse than Edmonton for the next half decade

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
It makes less sense for Garth to make a pick than trade it for someone ready to contribute now. He's on borrowed time and needs to win. If he doesn't win he won't be around to see the McDavid draft anyway.

He's given the 2015 pick to Buffalo which was about the stupidest move a GM in his position could have done especially since they have a crap team and theres a good chance that pick will be a lottery pick next year.. How he still has a job boggles my mind..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce