The All Purpose 2016-17 Flyers Goaltending thread

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
^^^^^ I would not touch any of those RFA. They all come with high cap hits.

If we are getting a ******** goalie than Mason has been, then we should be getting a lower cap hit than he was getting in 4.1.

Hopefully Hextall has something up his sleeve.
Think they would need to pay Bishop at least 4 year $24 million dollar deal or 3 year @ around $21 million. Projecting he will get at least 5 year $30 million on open market. Looks like Bishop would have to give up money to be a Flyer which could happen but not most likely. Basing this only on what Hextalls said.

"I don't have a lot of interest in getting into a long, drawn-out deal with a goaltender, but again we'll look at our options and move when we feel it's our best option at the appropriate time."

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Not with Neuvirth on the books and both Lyons and Stolarz needing new contracts next year. THey gotta see what they have in those 2, which will not happen with a tandem of Bishop & Neuvy.

On a side note, no way in hell do I put $6-7M of cap into a goalie at this point. Especially now.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
So Bernier, what would everyone feel comfortable signing him to for term and cap hit?

He earned over 4.1 million on the current contract, but that was when he was signed to be a starter in TO.

With Greiss signing for 3.33 mill, I think that is the number to shoot for.

But Bernier friggin' stinks. Why do we want a crappy goalie who couldn't take the pressure of the Toronto market?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But Bernier friggin' stinks. Why do we want a crappy goalie who couldn't take the pressure of the Toronto market?

Look at the options.....Bernier is one of the top 5/6 options out there.

It's also why I would rather is be keeping Mason.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Look at the options.....Bernier is one of the top 5/6 options out there.

It's also why I would rather is be keeping Mason.

Bernier also fits the timeline needs the best.

I wonder if talbot being so good in playoffs will affect Mase cap hit. Gonna be hard to pay him more than Talbot.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If you take away the time that he was in Toronto playing behind a terrible team, his numbers are actually good. He played well in LA and now ANA. Get him here back with a goalie coach who knows something about his game and we might have a good thing. I'd give him Mason's money- 4M for three seasons.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bernier was a backup with those teams & they were top tier teams in the West during those times. No way should they give him anything with considerable commitment like that.

Bernier's no different than Neuvirth. He's a split starter at best but ideally a backup. If you sign him you do so because he comes cheap as a stopgap that you can cut bait with soon. Otherwise you look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bernier also fits the timeline needs the best.

I wonder if talbot being so good in playoffs will affect Mase cap hit. Gonna be hard to pay him more than Talbot.

Not only Talbot but Anderson and Dubby making 4.33 or less. I would take most of the guys in the 4million ranged over the 5-6 million guys regardless of cap hit. They are better, Niemi aside.

Where all these goalies end up will be interesting this summer.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
What about Ryan Miller? He wouldn't be looking for anything more than 2 years. Give him around 4M a year. He's a proven starter, play him around 55 games.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What about Ryan Miller? He wouldn't be looking for anything more than 2 years. Give him around 4M a year. He's a proven starter, play him around 55 games.

His wife is an actress. It's why he went to Vancouver in the first place to be on the West Coast for her career. He very well could take a pay & role cut just to say out there.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

He wants to stay on the west coast because his wife is a hollywood actress (not a good one but still :sarcasm: )
But i wouldnt mind a 1yr deal with him if he agrees to join our squad

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
He wants to stay on the west coast because his wife is a hollywood actress (not a good one but still :sarcasm: )
But i wouldnt mind a 1yr deal with him if he agrees to join our squad
Agree with Miller staying out west or would put him in the mix. Not sold on Bernier.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I bet the recent draft lottery changes everything with regards to getting a new goalkeeper.

Instead of looking for something to tide us over while the D learn, we might be looking at a future superstar on the squad and may need something a little more steady. There is no reason we couldn't pull off an edmonton next year.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I bet the recent draft lottery changes everything with regards to getting a new goalkeeper.

Instead of looking for something to tide us over while the D learn, we might be looking at a future superstar on the squad and may need something a little more steady. There is no reason we couldn't pull off an edmonton next year.

I do understand exactly what you mean, but I just hope Hexy is very cautious with that, and I am sure he will be. The last thing we want him to do is overreact and do anything to throw an obstacle in our way with cap issues. One option that I have been thinking about is that he could go for one of the guys who is going to be unprotected, like a Korpisalo for example - maybe talk to Vegas beforehand and then make a trade after Vegas collects them. I just don't really see a lot of goaltenders around the league that I would trust or be that excited about. I AM super excited about our prospects, though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Bernier doesn't stink. He has a career .915 SV%.

If he's crappy because he had a .908 season behind a terrible Toronto team, then Neuvirth and Mason are total garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad