The All Purpose 2016-17 Flyers Goaltending thread

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
well, it's that time of year again ..... LET'S GO FLYERS !!!

#35 - Steve Mason
Born: May 29, 1988
Birthplace: Oakville, ON, CAN
Catches: Right

HDz2xaY.jpg

3ovddFn.jpg

bLBloPX.jpg

#30 - Michal Neuvirth
Born: March 23, 1988
Birthplace: Ústí nad Labem, CZE
Catches: Left

xj6sGs0.jpg

Ju3FzDv.jpg

I7644uF.jpg

#41 - Anthony Stolarz
Born: January 20, 1994
Birthplace: Edison, NJ, USA
Catches: Left

7R2wAvd.jpg

uYBKSIw.jpg

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This just dawned on me and it's probably not true, but I wonder if Hextall instructed Hakstol to start Neuvirth to showcase him to LA as a potential Quick replacement...

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
This just dawned on me and it's probably not true, but I wonder if Hextall instructed Hakstol to start Neuvirth to showcase him to LA as a potential Quick replacement...

if we had a guarantee Mason wont get banged up, perhaps ... history says we'll need Neuvirth at some point ....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Maybe they view Stolarz as ready for back-up duties?

I dunno, just speculating.

I could see that. I've thought all alomg one of our goalies is getting dealt this season. Now's as good a time as any. We're better with both for sure, but I don't think we miss the playoffs with Mase out unless it's for an extended period, but I'd take the risk if there's a good offer.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I could see that. I've thought all alomg one of our goalies is getting dealt this season. Now's as good a time as any. We're better with both for sure, but I don't think we miss the playoffs with Mase out unless it's for an extended period, but I'd take the risk if there's a good offer.

I hope they keep both. If you trade one and Stolarz gets claimed by Las Vegas, you're leaving yourself vulnerable to injury next year.

Need to think long term because none of the other prospects will be ready for NHL duty next year, probably.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would not be surprised if the plan is to make Lyon or Stolarz the backup next season.

But I would be surprised if Stolarz is claimed because Vegas will have a great selection of goalies to choose from. IMO, Stolie would have to be a 50 game AHL starter this season at .920+ to get the attention of Vegas, or actually play 10 or more NHL games and do very well in them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would not be surprised if the plan is to make Lyon or Stolarz the backup next season.

But I would be surprised if Stolarz is claimed because Vegas will have a great selection of goalies to choose from. IMO, Stolie would have to be a 50 game AHL starter this season at .920+ to get the attention of Vegas, or actually play 10 or more NHL games and do very well in them.

Yeh, unless he has an absolutely top end year I can't see Vegas taking him...

The fact that they will be able to get a lot of value at D helps too... I can imagine them taking maybe only 3-4 goalies tbh, 14 fwds and the rest D... then trade some of the D for players/picks they want.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they don't sign either Neuvirth or Mason before the expansion draft, they can protect Stolarz and likely not risk losing both of their NHL goaltenders.

Stolarz was an AHL All-Star last year, so I'm sure he's on George McPhee's radar. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided if he was NHL ready before this season ends, and if the plan is to have Stolarz on the NHL roster next year, I think they will do what they need to do to ensure that happens.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If they don't sign either Neuvirth or Mason before the expansion draft, they can protect Stolarz and likely not risk losing both of their NHL goaltenders.

Stolarz was an AHL All-Star last year, so I'm sure he's on George McPhee's radar. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided if he was NHL ready before this season ends, and if the plan is to have Stolarz on the NHL roster next year, I think they will do what they need to do to ensure that happens.

They cannot unfortunately as things stand. As the have to expose:

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Lyon is exempt, and they have no other goalies contracted.

If they don't re-sign either Mason or Neuvirth... and don't trade for another goalie they would HAVE to expose Stolarz while not protecting any goalies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeh, unless he has an absolutely top end year I can't see Vegas taking him...

The fact that they will be able to get a lot of value at D helps too... I can imagine them taking maybe only 3-4 goalies tbh, 14 fwds and the rest D... then trade some of the D for players/picks they want.

Korpislao, Pickard, Grubauer and Hutchison/Helleybuck seem like the best value of the young guys.

And I think they'll get Murray or MAF from the Pens. The Pens may have to induce MAF to leave and Vegas to take him, but I think he'd be a good fit for an expansion team.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Korpislao, Pickard, Grubauer and Hutchison/Helleybuck seem like the best value of the young guys.

And I think they'll get Murray or MAF from the Pens. The Pens may have to induce MAF to leave and Vegas to take him, but I think he'd be a good fit for an expansion team.

Hellebuyck will be the guy protected for Peg 100%.

Subban too can be added to that list.

And Bishop may well be available... Tampa are probably keeping Vasilevsky, though he is likely traded before they let him hit expansion.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
ya Nuevy definitely seems to be fighting it that is for sure.
Hopefully he can get himself righted. Every goalie goes thru rough patches. If he is still playing like this a few weeks from now I would be worried. now? nope. He will be fine.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
You think the starts for next 3 games will be:

Thursday vs Arizona - Mason
Saturday vs Pittsburgh - Mason
Sunday vs Carolina - Neuvirth

Or another combo?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Neuvirth's position and mechanics are pure trash right now. He's not square, he's not tracking, hell he's falling for fake shots.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Neuvirth's position and mechanics are pure trash right now. He's not square, he's not tracking, hell he's falling for fake shots.

Trade him to the Kings where he will get better defensive help and he'll be an upgrade over Budaj. Give Stolarz some starts up here and give Lyon a full season in the AHL. See how that goes.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Neuvirth has a couple bad games and some are ready to trade him. No faith whatsoever in the Flyers goaltenders, Mason got the same treatment over the summer.

Either way one of these goaltenders won't be here next season anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad