The all end all thread...are you inverted???

Up for up or up for down

• Total voters

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
inverted makes no sense outside of flight games as a joystick simulation. Dont really get it for any other type game.

It's the camera movement. If mouse movement controls the camera, it has to be inverted. If mouse movement controls the cursor's position on a plane, normal pitch.
When I move the mouse like a mouse with a cursor, the expectation is the screen stays the same like if it were at the desktop. Or like a strategy game.

But if I move the mouse and the screen moves? I can't process it at normal pitch. Don't really know why. I'm sure I could retrain myself after a thousand hours or so but it works this way :laugh:

It probably has something to do with the first 3d mouse look games I ever played, most or all of them were inverted by default. Duke3D or MechWarrior 2 is probably at fault. Or some of the mid 90's console stuff also had invert by default IIRC.

Actually, thinking about it, Star Raiders is probably at fault

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
It made sense to me in MechWarrior 2. Any game where you have a cockpit view, I think.

I guess I just sort of adapt to each games default, I don't play too many titles at the same time so that makes it easier.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't understand inverted controls. First time I tried was in Cod4 and I couldn't handle it. My dad does inverted controls because he thought that was the only way to do it :laugh:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I always just played on the default settings... so I played inverted on some N64 games like Goldeneye, as well as some pilot flying games on PC. Once it became an antiquated control mechanic and was effectively phased out as the default, then I never played inverted again.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Wait, people actually play inverted in shooters? That sounds so weird to me lol. I only play inverted with flight games.
Yep. And judging by the poll scores its only a small majority of us. But we're out there

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Like others have said it depends.

If I am flying it has to be inverted. For almost everything else not inverted.

That really should be an option on the poll. Many people are like that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I usually go with the game default unless it's really horrible for some reason.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Like others have said it depends.

If I am flying it has to be inverted. For almost everything else not inverted.

That really should be an option on the poll. Many people are like that.
Surely you're not suggesting the poll results be turned upside down at this point...

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I was inverted up til college. Then we ended up passing controllers around so much, it was such a pain in the ass to change the setting each time, I just taught myself to use ‘regular’.

Inverted always made sense to me because if I imagined my thumb on the top of a person’s head, pushing forward or up would force their head and eyeline down, while pulling down or back would force their head up.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Y-axis inverted, yes.

I've never met anyone that toggled X-axis inverted, though.

My uncle didn't invert the axis as such because it wasn't really an option, but he flipped the entire NES and SNES controller upside down even for side scrollers. So effectively both were inverted.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I always just played on the default settings... so I played inverted on some N64 games like Goldeneye. . . .Once it became an antiquated control mechanic and was effectively phased out as the default, then I never played inverted again.

Yup, I blame Goldeneye.

Yep, same. Though I went back and played Goldeneye a bit somewhat recently, and found I couldn't do inverted anymore. I've been up/up down/down for a while now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yes because I don't really play shooters on console or with a controller so I never got with the updated program. I'm much more likely to play something a right stick will control the camera than aim a gun and thanks to flight/space sims I prefer that inverted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad