TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kurtzman will be listed as a producer for S3, because it's obligatory, but he had pretty much nothing to do with it.
I'd like to believe that, but I can't. He may be relatively hands off, but he's still in charge, picked the people to delegate to and had a hand in its direction:
ALEX KURTZMAN: “When you take on Picard, the first thing you think is I want to bring everybody back, right. Of course. But Patrick Stewart, and he really deserves the credit for it, equally wanted to bring everybody back, but I think was insistent from the beginning and saying if we’re going to do that, we have to earn it. We can’t just drop that all at once.

It won’t land in the right way because there won’t have been enough time to set up what had changed about Picard and what had changed about all the other characters in the intervening years. So I think we felt that by the time we get around to Season 3, now you’re like, “Okay, we’ve established the world, we’ve established the characters,” and it makes a lot of sense to bring them back and we have a really good reason to bring them back.

I mean, again, any story is always, “why?” What’s the “why?” And we finally found our “why.”

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I won't watch season 3 of Picard no matter what at this point. That bridge has been burned.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There is nothing "edgy" about it. I just have no interest in investing time in a series that I thought was horrible. There's no going back after how awful it was.

I've felt both seasons were not very good on first watch while they were coming out week-by-week. Haven't done this yet with season 2, but I thought season 1 played waaaaay better as a binge watch. It was interesting how drastically different I felt about it when viewed that way. I wonder if season 2 will work better as well.

But, of course, why rewatch even as a binge when you hated it. Just figured I'd mention it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've felt both seasons were not very good on first watch while they were coming out week-by-week. Haven't done this yet with season 2, but I thought season 1 played waaaaay better as a binge watch. It was interesting how drastically different I felt about it when viewed that way. I wonder if season 2 will work better as well.

But, of course, why rewatch even as a binge when you hated it. Just figured I'd mention it.

I binged the first 8 episodes of Season 2 (to catch up in time for the final 2) and disliked it even more than Season 1, which I watched week to week. I don't think that how you watch a series has much bearing. What I think does is re-watching it with the hope of liking it better and focusing less on the flaws. It's not hard to like something better on re-watch if you try.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So SNW did a good job at this with the finale showing the difference between Kirk and Pike and how one was better situated for being there at the time, but I always thought that question was more *interesting* with Kirk and Picard.

This is kinda meta, but in the "better Captain" debates, I always leaned toward the "each Captain was the right Captain for that time." The diplomatic imperiousness of Picard was not well suited to the more chaotic galaxy of Kirk, and Kirk's cowboyness would have been out of place and inappropriate in Picard's Federation.

Not a novel thought by any stretch I know, but I thought it was kind of interesting that SNW actually did that study but with Pike as the quasi-Picard.

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just watched Star trek the Motion picture for the first time in 10 years and my response is still pretty much the same when I saw it in 1979(yes-I know--I am old)--While I enjoyed it not having a big meany of the week, it still dragged a lot and the fact that the spent nearly 10 minutes gooing over the Enterprise was even more annoying.

But this time around watching it, my view changes slightly due to maybe age and watching other movies since watching this movie for the first time. 3 movies jump to mind 2001 space oddessey, Silent Running and The Black hole. Before you say Black Hole came out 2 weeks after this movie--there is a long back story between the two movies and over lap of personal.

I can see what they wanted to do with the movie, in the sense they wanted it to be more cerebral and not just the usually bad guy of the day who always dies at the end. It is clear how the Decker/Ilia characters ended up being transposed with Riker and Troi in the next Gen. The had the wrong director and too many people were looking over his shoulders. Robert Wise is one of the greatest directors of all time, just not suited to this type of movie and it shows. Koenig liked Wise but called the movie a run away train and Wise being from old Hollywood but dealing with new Hollywood.

The writing was not tight and it came off as a bad episode of TOS. But if you can find it, there is a bootleg re-edit running around that trims about 20 minutes of the movie and adds a few different scenes that makes the movie a lot better. This is not to be confused with what called "the directors cut" were Douglas Trumbull who directed--wait for it--Silent Running was giving control over kicking up the special effects and other stuff and editing. One of the great debates is how would of the movie worked out if Turnball was given the directors chair. He was best known as a Visual effects guy and only had Silent Running under his belt. Turnball was given one last chance to direct a major motion picture, Brainstorm, that would be Natalie Woods last movie and he never got another chance and stuck in the Effects chair or behind the scenes

Reactions: Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Just watched Star trek the Motion picture for the first time in 10 years and my response is still pretty much the same when I saw it in 1979(yes-I know--I am old)--While I enjoyed it not having a big meany of the week, it still dragged a lot and the fact that the spent nearly 10 minutes gooing over the Enterprise was even more annoying.

But this time around watching it, my view changes slightly due to maybe age and watching other movies since watching this movie for the first time. 3 movies jump to mind 2001 space oddessey, Silent Running and The Black hole. Before you say Black Hole came out 2 weeks after this movie--there is a long back story between the two movies and over lap of personal.

I can see what they wanted to do with the movie, in the sense they wanted it to be more cerebral and not just the usually bad guy of the day who always dies at the end. It is clear how the Decker/Ilia characters ended up being transposed with Riker and Troi in the next Gen. The had the wrong director and too many people were looking over his shoulders. Robert Wise is one of the greatest directors of all time, just not suited to this type of movie and it shows. Koenig liked Wise but called the movie a run away train and Wise being from old Hollywood but dealing with new Hollywood.

The writing was not tight and it came off as a bad episode of TOS. But if you can find it, there is a bootleg re-edit running around that trims about 20 minutes of the movie and adds a few different scenes that makes the movie a lot better. This is not to be confused with what called "the directors cut" were Douglas Trumbull who directed--wait for it--Silent Running was giving control over kicking up the special effects and other stuff and editing. One of the great debates is how would of the movie worked out if Turnball was given the directors chair. He was best known as a Visual effects guy and only had Silent Running under his belt. Turnball was given one last chance to direct a major motion picture, Brainstorm, that would be Natalie Woods last movie and he never got another chance and stuck in the Effects chair or behind the scenes
The director's cut is better as it adds back a lot of dialogue that they cut out of the movie in exchange for ship and entity shots.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The director's cut is better as it adds back a lot of dialogue that they cut out of the movie in exchange for ship and entity shots.
my problem with the so-called directors cut is that is was not done by Wise. Wise was alive but in ill health and the cut originally had Turnball and Dykstra doing stuff, but three other guys more or less out the pieces together, David Fein, Daren Dochterman, and Mike Matessino. This version is still lacking because there was only so much they could do.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
looks like star trek 4 is dead again. Director is off to do The Fantastic Four and they are in rewrites yet again.

While all the actors reportedly WANT to do it--there is a massive wild card, reportedly --Prine and Quinto want 13 mill to do it. Urban 10, Saldana and Pegg about 9. Not sure about Cho. So you are looking at about 60 mill in cast cost before you shoot any film. Then of course you have the rumour they want to bring Hemsworth back as KIrk Sr--which could add another 10 mill to the cast budget alone.

I am a huge trek fan but I do not see them doing another movie but TV show

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
looks like star trek 4 is dead again. Director is off to do The Fantastic Four and they are in rewrites yet again.

While all the actors reportedly WANT to do it--there is a massive wild card, reportedly --Prine and Quinto want 13 mill to do it. Urban 10, Saldana and Pegg about 9. Not sure about Cho. So you are looking at about 60 mill in cast cost before you shoot any film. Then of course you have the rumour they want to bring Hemsworth back as KIrk Sr--which could add another 10 mill to the cast budget alone.

It's the Duke Nukem: Forever, of movies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Star Trek: Schrodinger's Cast

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Robert Meyer Burnett just dropped earlier this week on John Campea's show again that the season 3 of Picard is excellent and he can't wait to watch it a 3rd time.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
What's the reason Kirstie Alley didn't return for The Search For Spock after Wrath? Was it just a money issue?

My Best-Carey

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What's the reason Kirstie Alley didn't return for The Search For Spock after Wrath? Was it just a money issue?

My Best-Carey
It was exactly that - I'm not sure if the rumor that they offered her less is true or not, but she didn't return for salary reasons.

Reactions: frisco

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

My Best-Carey

They didn't want to pay Alley as the previous poster said and she was getting noticed as an up and comer in Hollywood. She did that show Masquerade around that time.

The Motion Picture I'd say is an underrated movie. It's visually a very strange film with the pajama unis and always reminded me of some of those very early or even pre-MTV videos like Cars by Gary Numan. It's cold, quiet, and even sterile at times. It's a very different mood from TOS, but it has a great story and arcs for Kirk, Spock, and even Decker and Ilia.

Reactions: frisco

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Robert Meyer Burnett just dropped earlier this week on John Campea's show again that the season 3 of Picard is excellent and he can't wait to watch it a 3rd time.
I never really trust these kind of things anymore. It's the equivalent of when a new James Bond film comes out and everyone marks out over it as the best one since Connery. Recency bias.

Also why is no one addressing the Worf thing? He looks super old yet he's 65 in human years. Klingons live for as long as Vulcans. This was established in DS9 when the three OG Klingons Captain and Arn Darvin were back. 65 for a Klingon is maybe like 28 for a human.

Reactions: Osprey

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I never really trust these kind of things anymore. It's the equivalent of when a new James Bond film comes out and everyone marks out over it as the best one since Connery. Recency bias.

Also why is no one addressing the Worf thing? He looks super old yet he's 65 in human years. Klingons live for as long as Vulcans. This was established in DS9 when the three OG Klingons Captain and Arn Darvin were back. 65 for a Klingon is maybe like 28 for a human.
Robert Meyer Burnett is well connected. He hates modern Star Trek, hence why his love for Picard season 3 is significant.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I do agree with that. I don't have nearly as much issues with new Trek, other than the movies, as he does.
Because he is so out spoken--the fact the bad robot were banned from the set for awhile scored points with him and he did not hide that fact. I liked the two star trek docs he did but he is a massive fan boy to the OG Trek and it causes him to where blinders when it comes to bad robot

I hate 80% of what Bad Robot has done--they have managed to screw up two franchises is short order

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Robert Meyer Burnett is well connected. He hates modern Star Trek, hence why his love for Picard season 3 is significant.
It may be significant to you. It doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, being so well connected that he's already watched the entire season twice just makes me suspicious. People who are granted special early screenings tend to gush about what they saw. Also, he sounds like someone who exaggerates for attention. Even if he really did love it, though, that doesn't mean that everyone who hated the previous seasons will. If you want to get excited over his opinion, you're more than welcome to, but just don't expect the rest of us to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad