TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That looks like something that my 7-year-old nephew would like (which is both a compliment and a criticism). It's too bad that they didn't take inspiration from The Animated Series and make a show that both kids and adults could enjoy. Making one that just looks like every other kids cartoon out there also just feels rather beneath the ambitions of the franchise, IMO.

It's supposedly by one of the crew from Rick & Morty, so chances are it might not be appropriate for kids at all.

Still looks bad though. I don't know what the modern Trek production staff's problem is with just making a series that actually feels like Star Trek.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I got into Star Trek when I was a kid.

My niece and nephew got into Star Trek as kids from watching TNG re-runs.

Most people got into Star Trek when they're were a kid.

Yet Kurtzman/CBS think you need a dumb cartoon to get kids into Trek.

Reactions: Blender and Osprey

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
inb4 it becomes the best Trek series since DS9, lol.

Hey, stranger things have happened.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I got into Star Trek when I was a kid.

My niece and nephew got into Star Trek as kids from watching TNG re-runs.

Most people got into Star Trek when they're were a kid.

Yet Kurtzman/CBS think you need a dumb cartoon to get kids into Trek.

I dislike Kurtzman and am not enthused by this show, so I'm not saying this to necessarily "defend" the show or show runners, but that's false. Like I noted above, it's being headed by a crew member from Rick & Morty and is explicitly identified as a show for adults and not for kids.

So this isn't meant to draw in a young audience. It's meant to draw in the Rick & Morty/Family Guy/Bob's Burgers/animated sitcom type audience.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I dislike Kurtzman and am not enthused by this show, so I'm not saying this to necessarily "defend" the show or show runners, but that's false. Like I noted above, it's being headed by a crew member from Rick & Morty and is explicitly identified as a show for adults and not for kids.

So this isn't meant to draw in a young audience. It's meant to draw in the Rick & Morty/Family Guy/Bob's Burgers/animated sitcom type audience.
Kurtzman has said they're making a Star Trek cartoon to specifically appeal to kids. It must be the other cartoon series they're making.

If Lower Decks is for adults, than it makes that trailer look even worse because the humor was once again lame and juvenile.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I just want a "classic" Star Trek series that's about exploration (both in the literal sense and about humanity), wonder, hope for the future, etc. but updated for modern times and built around the issues of our modern society. Is that really that much to ask for?

Star Trek Picard was even worse than Discovery for shitting all over franchise continuity, and that's sure saying a lot.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't have CBS All Access but if I did, it would only be to watch the two Star Trek series. Is it worth it?

It's worth it to get the free trial and binge both of them before cancelling.

I also binged the new Twilight Zone. Four seasons of good TV for free (as long as you remember to cancel)? Worth it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Star Trek: Prodigy cartoon warps onto Nickelodeon in 2021 aboard a stolen Starfleet starship

Star Trek Prodigy.png

God do I wish we had different people in charge of Star Trek

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm really starting to worry about over-saturation. I know you have shows on at different times, but we're looking at Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, Prodigy, and Lower Decks all happening pretty much together. Then you have shows in development like the Section 31 series and now it's 6 shows in this streaming era? I know they want Trek on all year long, but that seems like way too many shows. I also think this might be Discovery's final season because of the other shows in development. If it is Discovery's final season, I really do think it could go down as the forgotten trek series. Heck, I've nearly forgotten about it just because the hiatus has been so long.

Reactions: Osprey and Seedtype

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm really starting to worry about over-saturation. I know you have shows on at different times, but we're looking at Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, Prodigy, and Lower Decks all happening pretty much together. Then you have shows in development like the Section 31 series and now it's 6 shows in this streaming era? I know they want Trek on all year long, but that seems like way too many shows. I also think this might be Discovery's final season because of the other shows in development. If it is Discovery's final season, I really do think it could go down as the forgotten trek series. Heck, I've nearly forgotten about it just because the hiatus has been so long.
The only thing memorable about Discovery right now is that Anson Mount got a Pike series spun off from it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

It's as if they're looking at what Disney has done to Star Wars and deliberately trying to repeat the same mistakes. Hopefully, like that appears to be, it'll all blow up in their face, we'll see a regime change somewhere down the line and Star Trek will get their own Favreau/Filoni.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It's as if they're looking at what Disney has done to Star Wars and deliberately trying to repeat the same mistakes. Hopefully, like that appears to be, it'll all blown up in their face and we'll see a regime change down the line and Star Trek will get their own Favreau/Filoni.

I'm so glad you mentioned Favreau and Filoni because after watching the Mandalorian behind the scenes gallary, I trust them implicitly with that series. Just the way Filoni talks he knows Star Wars inside and out. If he wrote a Star Wars book, I would probably buy it. And yes, we need someone of his dedication and knowledge herding the Trek franchise.

Reactions: Osprey

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Was watching some Voyager last night. Year of Hell 1 and 2. Not bad. They had a way of injecting humour in the worst times. :laugh:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

It reminds me of Batman content or superhero movies now. Too much. And most of this new stuff is bogus or mediocre.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Stop trying to be funny or cute; either go with a new era like Enterprise-G or H (I've actually developed a story where the Enterprise-G is part of a secession of Starfleet/Federation and the Enterprise-H's job with a very messed up complicated crew in a no-win situation is not only exploration and all that good stuff but to intercept the slightly older 1701-G and all of the influence the secessionists are having on intergalactic affairs....I know fan fiction and CBS would want no part of it. I'd demand the star/Captain to be Middle Eastern, early-mid 30s, very handsome, charismatic, and sarcastic given what he's up against).

With that said; if you're not going back to post-Picard cannon, do an era that hasn't been too covered:

1. TMP Pajama Uniform Era: Other than the V'Ger story nothing that went on in the early 2270s is really spoken about. What happened during Kirk's second five-year mission? What was going on with Starfleet post V'Ger? Admiral Nogura can be a part of this.

2. Post TMP pre-WOK: Captain Batesman is the only person we really see from that era or hear speak. The Enterprise, the freaking flagship is turned into a training vessel. Spock is promoted to Captain. That surely had some impact on Starfleet and the Federation. Some ship had to be an active flagship or be "the top dawgs" if 6/7 the Enterprise crew is training cadets.

3. Enterprise-C Era. Similar to #2. You lost your flagship. What does that mean for intergalactic affairs? What ship took over as the flagship? The Stargazer and a younger actor playing Picard can actually show up (they should get Tom Hardy...I kid).

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Looks even worse than the original trailer.

WTF is this!?

"Some old guy with an eye patch"

Chang's been dead for how long!?

Romulan ale is mega illegal in the Federation, how the hell did she get!? And on a Federation starship docked at a Federation spaceport :help:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Stop trying to be funny or cute; either go with a new era like Enterprise-G or H (I've actually developed a story where the Enterprise-G is part of a secession of Starfleet/Federation and the Enterprise-H's job with a very messed up complicated crew in a no-win situation is not only exploration and all that good stuff but to intercept the slightly older 1701-G and all of the influence the secessionists are having on intergalactic affairs....I know fan fiction and CBS would want no part of it. I'd demand the star/Captain to be Middle Eastern, early-mid 30s, very handsome, charismatic, and sarcastic given what he's up against).

With that said; if you're not going back to post-Picard cannon, do an era that hasn't been too covered:

1. TMP Pajama Uniform Era: Other than the V'Ger story nothing that went on in the early 2270s is really spoken about. What happened during Kirk's second five-year mission? What was going on with Starfleet post V'Ger? Admiral Nogura can be a part of this.

2. Post TMP pre-WOK: Captain Batesman is the only person we really see from that era or hear speak. The Enterprise, the freaking flagship is turned into a training vessel. Spock is promoted to Captain. That surely had some impact on Starfleet and the Federation. Some ship had to be an active flagship or be "the top dawgs" if 6/7 the Enterprise crew is training cadets.

3. Enterprise-C Era. Similar to #2. You lost your flagship. What does that mean for intergalactic affairs? What ship took over as the flagship? The Stargazer and a younger actor playing Picard can actually show up (they should get Tom Hardy...I kid).
I agree with the general sentiment that there is a lot of areas they could have explored, but in some ways I'm also glad that the current team leading the franchise haven't gone in and messed up established canon even more than they already have.

Enterprise C wasn't the flagship by the way, pretty sure the only one with that title was the Enterprise D because Picard was a senior captain often sent on formal diplomatic missions and acted as a fleet commander with positional authority with the Enterprise as the command center.

WTF is this!?

"Some old guy with an eye patch"

Chang's been dead for how long!?

Romulan ale is mega illegal in the Federation, how the hell did she get!? And on a Federation starship docked at a Federation spaceport :help:
Who cares if it makes sense, they need to toss in some fan service references.

Reactions: johnjm22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad