Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’ve never seen a GM more eagerly wish for injuries upon his own players than Hextall. Every interview he drops the injury line with his fingers crossed. Because it’s often the only way he can actually make forceful decisions about young players. Hell, we probably won’t see Sanheim back up unless someone gets injured.

I think he sees injuries as opportunities for young players to have low pressure cameos, since the expectation is "don't screw up" rather than "you're our only hope, Obi wan."
It's not that he hopes for them, but when they happen, he can stick a kid in without having to make a commitment and bench someone else.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Doesn’t sound like Morin expects to play much. Made it clear he is comfortable with his knee yet.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A title change was done to give the thread a fresher appearance. The official roster move is below:

TheAHL.com

2019-02-14Samuel Morin (D)Lehigh ValleyADDConditioning loan from Philadelphia (NHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
--------------------

Sam Morin Loaned to Lehigh Valley for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Lehigh Valley, Pa. – The Philadelphia Flyers have announced today that they have loaned defenseman Samuel Morin to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms for conditioning purposes.

Morin, 23, has yet to appear in a game this season after undergoing knee surgery last May. Morin has spent the last three seasons with the Phantoms, playing 165 games and totaling eight goals and 34 assists for 42 points. He was the only player to appear in all 76 games for Lehigh Valley during the 2015-16 season. Morin has accumulated 273 penalty minutes, which is the second most by a player in Lehigh Valley Phantoms history, just three behind Tyrell Goulbourne who passed Morin earlier this month. He led the team in PIMs during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
A title change was done to give the thread a fresher appearance. The official roster move is below:

TheAHL.com

2019-02-14Samuel Morin (D)Lehigh ValleyADDConditioning loan from Philadelphia (NHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
--------------------

Sam Morin Loaned to Lehigh Valley for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Lehigh Valley, Pa. – The Philadelphia Flyers have announced today that they have loaned defenseman Samuel Morin to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms for conditioning purposes.

Morin, 23, has yet to appear in a game this season after undergoing knee surgery last May. Morin has spent the last three seasons with the Phantoms, playing 165 games and totaling eight goals and 34 assists for 42 points. He was the only player to appear in all 76 games for Lehigh Valley during the 2015-16 season. Morin has accumulated 273 penalty minutes, which is the second most by a player in Lehigh Valley Phantoms history, just three behind Tyrell Goulbourne who passed Morin earlier this month. He led the team in PIMs during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.
It’s a different dimension this blue line is lacking since pronger. He will never be at the level of effectiveness, but the intimidation in the crease is something that will be nice. Let’s face it, our d can probably negate people in the crease, but they won’t make opposing players think twice about going right back into hart’s grill: I think Sam will.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg is the only one currently strong enough to move people in the crease, Gudas is tough, but he's actually not that big, listed at 6'0 204 and Provorov 6'1 201 (though I suspect he's a bit thicker than that). Since you're standing still, size and strength matter in wrestling with guys in front of the net. Which is why I want Sanheim to hit the weight room.

Adding Myers and Morin change that equation, these guys are HUGE, once they learn how to handle NHL players (leverage matters along with strength, and learning how to "cheat" without getting caught) they'll be moving players out on a regular basis.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
It’s a different dimension this blue line is lacking since pronger. He will never be at the level of effectiveness, but the intimidation in the crease is something that will be nice. Let’s face it, our d can probably negate people in the crease, but they won’t make opposing players think twice about going right back into hart’s grill: I think Sam will.

Morin is a big, strong, and generally unpleasant individual (to the opposition). He can thrown them, and has rag dolled more than a couple individuals. I still think his floor is Hagg's current level, and while he may have some growing pains, especially after not playing for about a year, he should be in the Flyers lineup as soon as he is in game shape. He needs the minutes and should be a staple on the PK and 2nd/3rd pairing next season.

Similarly for Myers, he needs time on the ice because he should be a starting RD next year. I would like to see him with Provorov on the 2nd PK pairing, while Sam and Gudas take 1st PK duty. Pairing up for ES:
Prov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers
Hagg

And this should be liberally exercised over the rest of this season.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
They simply need the time. And not ahl time anymore. I forget which team employed a set rotation schedule, but a bottom pairing rotation of Myers morin Hagg and Macdonald needs to happen at the very least. Otherwise we are stuck with our mystery boxes in hockey purgatory.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
They simply need the time. And not ahl time anymore. I forget which team employed a set rotation schedule, but a bottom pairing rotation of Myers morin Hagg and Macdonald needs to happen at the very least. Otherwise we are stuck with our mystery boxes in hockey purgatory.

Remove Macdonald and you have me. The fact that Hagg can play either side with equal - ummmm, skill? - makes a rotation very feasible. Everyone gets 2 on, 1 off (with time to review and learn in the pressbox, which is apparently critical), with Hagg swaping between LD/RD on his "on" nights.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Remove Macdonald and you have me. The fact that Hagg can play either side with equal - ummmm, skill? - makes a rotation very feasible. Everyone gets 2 on, 1 off (with time to review and learn in the pressbox, which is apparently critical), with Hagg swaping between LD/RD on his "on" nights.
I was just going on what I suspected was a realistic option. I don’t see a world in which Macdonald gets removed from the playing rotation unless fletcher finds a trade partner with a decimated blue line. Possible but not totally likely.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Hagg is the only one currently strong enough to move people in the crease, Gudas is tough, but he's actually not that big, listed at 6'0 204 and Provorov 6'1 201 (though I suspect he's a bit thicker than that). Since you're standing still, size and strength matter in wrestling with guys in front of the net. Which is why I want Sanheim to hit the weight room.

Adding Myers and Morin change that equation, these guys are HUGE, once they learn how to handle NHL players (leverage matters along with strength, and learning how to "cheat" without getting caught) they'll be moving players out on a regular basis.

I can just imagine how many posts about strength we'll see if we get Spurgeon.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
In all fairness who is moving anyone in front of the net for the flyers or phantoms? That old fashion cross check right into your hip and/or back.. not hard enough to knock you down but good enough to inflict pain and throw you off your game . Does anyone do it?Nope.

I actually do not remember a single cross checking penalty in last 3 year that occurred in front of our net....

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not sure how anyone can expect Morin to step into the Flyers lineup off of a knee reconstruction & basically a missed year & be an upgrade over anything. Seems like incredibly wishful thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad