The All-Encompassing Mike Gillis Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I recommend people check out the Mike Gillis interview on the team1040 today. Should be up soon on their web site. Essentially, he said something he hasn't said before: Team building has mistakenly focused on chasing moving goalposts, trying to pinpoint where the league is going, instead of sticking to an ideal. They will now reset to that ideal. Trying to build the team they wanted to build 6 years ago.

To me, this means that he's not concerned about chasing big players to account for an obstruction heavy league. It may also mean that he will focus on skill more than other traits.

Also says that TOR loves to "carve" the Canucks on anything and everything. Interesting.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
That was a hell of an interview.

Basically he laid it out: next year they're going back to high transition puck possession and anyone who can't do it (or won't do it) is out. Sounded like an indictment on Torts.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Great interview. Liked the final question about how he wants the team to play and his vision. Excellent Q.

Yes, and I think this is the end of the collapsing defense, slow transition experiment for the Canucks. Essentially, an indictment of Torts. The system will change.

It could also mean a change in draft focus moving forward.

BATJAM

Jan 14, 2005
I recommend people check out the Mike Gillis interview on the team1040 today. Should be up soon on their web site. Essentially, he said something he hasn't said before: Team building has mistakenly focused on chasing moving goalposts, trying to pinpoint where the league is going, instead of sticking to an ideal. They will now reset to that ideal. Trying to build the team they wanted to build 6 years ago.

To me, this means that he's not concerned about chasing big players to account for an obstruction heavy league. It may also mean that he will focus on skill more than other traits.

Also says that TOR loves to "carve" the Canucks on anything and everything. Interesting.

Good listen. He was finally open and accountable to criticism, my only knock on the guy in the past.

Easily the most honest interview he's given, not like he has much of a choice though at this point with all the vultures circling.

Let's hope there's follow-through and this wasn't just a ploy to sell tickets in these last couple weeks.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Gillis also said he wasn't sure wouldn't be back next year - that everyone deserved to be evaluated - but he was at ease and spoke with a lot of confidence of someone who has a green light. I think he only said that to deflect some of the malice.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, and I think this is the end of the collapsing defense, slow transition experiment for the Canucks. Essentially, an indictment of Torts. The system will change.

Thank God! I don't think I could stand another year of watching this style of hockey.
I used to pity Minny fans having to watch the Wild all season. Now we've basically become the Wild except for the solid defence part.
Hopefully the new system helps the Sedins rebound as well. And I also hope that Gillis brings in more depth so that our top guys are not playing such huge minutes.

I'm comforted that at least he didn't make excuses like Nonis in Toronto who said they were ahead of schedule in the rebuild. Gillis acknowledged the problem which at least means he is going try to resolve it.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Gillis also said he wasn't sure wouldn't be back next year - that everyone deserved to be evaluated - but he was at ease and spoke with a lot of confidence of someone who has a green light. I think he only said that to deflect some of the malice.

Pretty sure he has said something to that extent every year. (I certainly remember him saying that last year.)

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Great interview, think it means we are prioritizing skill and speed again. I like it.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Great interview, think it means we are prioritizing skill and speed again. I like it.

If Gillis does stay in charge, I bet we will see a similar situation with him and Torts as we saw when Gillis took over where there were a lot of meetings between Gillis/AV to discuss coaching and style of play.

Basically Gillis wants to go back to high tempo transition hockey and the system Torts is employing doesn't lend itself to that, so either Torts will have to change his system or he will be gone.

Lundface*

That was such a sick interview. I like how he even mentioned how Van made a lot of enemies with how they played.

This team is way too slow to be competing now...the team has been effectively stripped of their speed and it has been costly. The defence needs a change here too which will be difficult with Bieksa/Edler hinting at not waiving their NTC but these guy's need to be replaced.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
That was such a sick interview. I like how he even mentioned how Van made a lot of enemies with how they played.

This team is way too slow to be competing now...the team has been effectively stripped of their speed and it has been costly. The defence needs a change here too which will be difficult with Bieksa/Edler hinting at not waiving their NTC but these guy's need to be replaced.

If MG doesn't want Bieksa and asks him to waive his NTC, I'm sure he'll do it. He has pride. Edler? Well, if we trade a bunch of our other good players, I'm sure he'll eventually suck it up and leave. I really hope we get rid of him.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

Wow, that's amazing. I definitively have to listen to this.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Yes, if people needed proof that Torts was an Aquilini hiring, Gillis in that interview pretty much out and out implied it.

Very interesting. To me this suggests Gillis must either have a strong vote of confidence or he must not have it and simply doesn't care about protecting the coach/owners.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Tiranis that doesn't actually link to the audio. But I'm sure it will be up soon.

Sounds quite...refreshing from what I'm reading so far. Especially the parts about having a vision/identity for the team again, and about regaining the speed and transition game that are so lacking.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Tiranis that doesn't actually link to the audio. But I'm sure it will be up soon.

Sounds quite...refreshing from what I'm reading so far. Especially the parts about having a vision/identity for the team again, and about regaining the speed and transition game that are so lacking.

Depending on your browser, it does. I posted the link to the MP3 for those who can't access it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If Gillis does stay in charge, I bet we will see a similar situation with him and Torts as we saw when Gillis took over where there were a lot of meetings between Gillis/AV to discuss coaching and style of play.

Basically Gillis wants to go back to high tempo transition hockey and the system Torts is employing doesn't lend itself to that, so either Torts will have to change his system or he will be gone.

I agree, don't think it means torts is definitely gone, but maybe more trips to Vegas.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
From Hope_Smoke, who transcribes Toronto Sports radio onto twitter- a conversation between Kypreos and Doug MacLean:
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 6m ago
MacLean "lame duck or not, you don't create this kind of controversy. You don't bring this to the media"
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 5m ago
MacLean "here's your dilemma: do you fire Gillis and keep Torts? You're essentially tying your organization to the coach"
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 2m
Kypreos "you can't leave Torts there and get rid of Gillis. Based on what we're hearing & this has surfaced both can't survive this"
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 3m ago
Kypreos "you can't leave Torts there and get rid of Gillis. Based on what we're hearing & this has surfaced both can't survive this"
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 4m ago
MacLean "if this organization is run like a normal one the ownership in Van looks and decides on the GM first"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad