The All-Encompassing Mike Gillis Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I think this interview signals he's gone. Reminds me of just before nonis got fired. He came out in the media saying he had a clear vision and were front runners for brunsstrom.

Gillis is done

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
As someone who finds Gillis a mediocre GM this was probably one of the best interviews I've heard him give.

Time to go back to the formula that got us successful as a few of us have stated.

Of course, Mike is a great pitchman/salesman so we'll see if he actually follows through on any of this.

Not sure we were will get a PMD from however...would kill for the team to somehow pry Subban out of MTL.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Once again, Hope_Smoke, who transcribes Toronto sports radio to twitter:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 3m
Ferraro "I've been told by various sources (some pretty good ones) that ownership was heavily involved in the Torts hiring"
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 1m ago
Ferraro "I don't think there's much difference between the vision of Carlyle and Tortorella in how they want the game played"
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 2m ago
Ferraro "if you fire the GM now and keep the coach, that new GM will fire the coach soon"
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 3m ago
Ferraro "Gillis is a very new age guy and out of the blue he hires a blood and guts old school guy"

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think this interview signals he's gone. Reminds me of just before nonis got fired. He came out in the media saying he had a clear vision and were front runners for brunsstrom.

Gillis is done

Are you saying that he knows he's gone?

To me, when a GM is this candid, it's when he's facing a 50/50 internal call. Where he doesn't know which way it will go. I think it's him vs. Torts. The Kyper quote that Jimson posted speaks to this:

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 2m
Kypreos "you can't leave Torts there and get rid of Gillis. Based on what we're hearing & this has surfaced both can't survive this"

Lundface*

Once again, from twitter:

Ownership is a massive problem in Vancouver. They're tied to both the Luongo signing and Tortorella hiring, both massive failures that cost this team. Hopefully they stop sticking their noses in this thing...Van was doing quite well at the start of Gillis' tenure and took a turn for the worse.

Hopefully Gillis makes a few moves this offseason to at least make this team competitive again.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Gillis is done

It's Gillis or Torts at this point.

I really hope it's Torts. If Gillis is really going to bring the Canucks back to the high tempo/transition game I don't see Torts being able to coach that style well enough.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Posted this in the main boards:

Just confirms what I already knew; the Cup Finals loss completely ruined the franchise. They abandoned the model that won them two Presidents' trophies in the first place to try to emulate the Boston Bruins. That loss broke the GM, broke the coach and broke a lot of the players.

Watching it unfold – the stripping of speed & skill – for the last 3 seasons has been so frustrating. Gillis is basically admitting that he pissed away this teams window to win by trying to turn them into something they're not.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
For Torts?

Not sure who is available that would fit this situation.

-Willing to play an up tempo, transition style.
-Good with Youth, aka not benching them after one mistake or hiding them on the 4th line when they are a skill player.

It's going to be John Stevens unless he goes elsewhere. I'd like to see them give Kruger a shot.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
gillis sure has acquired a taste for the theatrics eh? well this pretty much proves what most of us have been speculating and that ownership has been dipping their hands a little too much into the cookie jar

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Posted this in the main boards:

Just confirms what I already knew; the Cup Finals loss completely ruined the franchise. They abandoned the model that won them two Presidents' trophies in the first place to try to emulate the Boston Bruins. That loss broke the GM, broke the coach and broke a lot of the players.

Watching it unfold – the stripping of speed & skill – for the last 3 seasons has been so frustrating. Gillis is basically admitting that he pissed away this teams window to win by trying to turn them into something they're not.

I don't know about this. He changed a bit of the focus at the periphery, but guys like Booth still served speed, and Kassian is skilled. I think it was more the style shift to try and play that way, than the team being stripped of the elements of a up-tempo team.

Then again, I don't put much stock into Ehrhoff being the savior or anything. So my viewpoint will be a bit different in this regard.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
gillis sure has acquired a taste for the theatrics eh? well this pretty much proves what most of us have been speculating and that ownership has been dipping their hands a little too much into the cookie jar

I think Gillis is a pretty confident guy. He's probably fine if he gets fired and wouldn't be devestated by it because he's changed careers so often already. It gives you an advantage if you're in that position.

True Player For Life

Mar 30, 2014
Jeff O'Neil on TSN radio Toronto just hammered on Gillis.

This Jeff O'Neil comes across as a real bully, his whole act of "I'm going to say whatever is on my mind and couldn't care less what you think" is getting tired...real quick.

The latest Toronto blowhard media personality, right up there with No-Nuts cousin "Dregs"

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I don't know about this. He changed a bit of the focus at the periphery, but guys like Booth still served speed, and Kassian is skilled. I think it was more the style shift to try and play that way, than the team being stripped of the elements of a up-tempo team.

Then again, I don't put much stock into Ehrhoff being the savior or anything. So my viewpoint will be a bit different in this regard.

I don't either.

7thGuest

Apr 29, 2009
Canada
I ma glad Gillis said this today:
"You get people in Toronto who just love to carve the Vancouver Canucks and it's going to be unending, so we're used to it now..."

How many times have we heard the likes of Darren Dreger trashing the Canucks and trying to manipulate public opinion and improve the trade position for the Leafs? I know both TSN and the Maple Leafs are owned by Bell, but journalists need to be unbiased and that's definitely not the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad