Speculation: The All Encompassing Leafs Goaltending thread - Leafs talking to Kipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
If he gets either, the fire Nonis threads will be up and running.

And I for one will be demanding it!

:facepalm:

probably the stupidest thing I've heard all night.

Our gm is trying to improve our goaltending position and you want to fire him for it? Have you ever considered that getting luongo or kipper would benefit Reims rather than hinder him?!?!

Also if Reims gets hurt, do you trust scrivens to lead us to the playoffs? I'd be worried if we had to go with a scrivens/owuya combo for the playoffs

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Our gm is trying to improve our goaltending position and you want to fire him for it? Have you ever considered that getting luongo or kipper would benefit Reims rather than hinder him?!?!

Also if Reims gets hurt, do you trust scrivens to lead us to the playoffs? I'd be worried if we had to go with a scrivens/owuya combo for the playoffs

The stupidest thing I've heard, period, is any talk of the Leafs trading any assets for over the hill goalies like Luongo or Kipper!

We're not winning the Stanley Cup this year, so, why waste assets on a goalie who'll be well past their best by date once we are ready to be 'real' contenders.

If we could land a goalie south of 30, I'd be all over that, because, it could help us now and in the future. Now is not the time to throw assets away for short term gain. Does not make much sense to me, especially when Reimer and Scrivens have better stats this season.

Let's run with Reimer and Scrivens and see what they can do. If either get injured, so what, we are not winning it all this year. We'll just give another one of our young goalie prospects playoff experience.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The stupidest thing I've heard, period, is any talk of the Leafs trading any assets for over the hill goalies like Luongo or Kipper!

We're not winning the Stanley Cup this year, so, why waste assets on a goalie who'll be well past their best by date once we are ready to be 'real' contenders.

What is so damned difficult to understand? The further they go into the playoffs the more experience the players get and that experience will benefit them down the road when they are contenders. The further they go into the playoffs the more money the owners make. If the goalies falter there is the risk of destroying their confidence especially because they will be eviscerated by the fans. The best chance to advance in the playoffs and the best way to protect their young goalies is to have an experienced goalie there with them. This isn't about trying to win a Cup this year, it is about helping the young goalies and the team progress so they can be contenders in a couple of years. Getting their arses kicked in the first round because of inexperienced goaltending isn't going to do anything for them.

Having insurance in goal and a mentor to the young goalies is the smart move here. Why is that so damned difficult to understand?

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
What is so damned difficult to understand? The further they go into the playoffs the more experience the players get and that experience will benefit them down the road when they are contenders. The further they go into the playoffs the more money the owners make. If the goalies falter there is the risk of destroying their confidence especially because they will be eviscerated by the fans. The best chance to advance in the playoffs and the best way to protect their young goalies is to have an experienced goalie there with them. This isn't about trying to win a Cup this year, it is about helping the young goalies and the team progress so they can be contenders in a couple of years. Getting their arses kicked in the first round because of inexperienced goaltending isn't going to do anything for them.

Having insurance in goal and a mentor to the young goalies is the smart move here. Why is that so damned difficult to understand?

I'd be okay with it under a few conditions

1. We don't move Scrivens and we roll with 3 goaltenders
2. It doesn't cost any more than a 3rd
3. We also acquire a skilled veteran defender that can play with Phaneuf (otherwise the acquisition is pretty pointless)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Nope, sorry, not falling for your story here. I'd only make a trade for an insurance goalie if he'd be for now and the future.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Thanks.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

3. We also acquire a skilled veteran defender that can play with Phaneuf (otherwise the acquisition is pretty pointless)

I agree with this as well!

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Can the Canucks do amnesty buyout of Luongo's contract? Because thats where this seems to be headed. It doesn't look like anyones willing to take that contract.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No ,ownership wont want that,it is their millions.

Basically when Vancouver gets kicked out in the first round again,Gillis is fired and some of his leckies in the leaf media will be joining him.That is why they are so desperate right now,truly pathetic. Kick back and enjoy,Luongo will not be on our team in 18 hours.It is just math.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

I agree with this as well!

Why not trade Scrivens while his value is at its highest instead of making him sit in the press box? Use your head.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

Well technically it would be scrivens/macintyre if reimer, god forbid, gets hurt. But I get your point.

I get the whole, need veteran goalie with playoff experience to help the team but also help the goalies. I would be fine with that if scrivens wasn't moved.

But realistically, if reimer goes down and we have a veteran goalie, how much playing time does scrivy get? Probaby not much. I say ride with them, let them get their feet wet and gain some experience under their belt. It will ont help them in the future.

People are forgetting that not only are our goalies inexperienced in the playoffs, but so are many of our players. And our team is young, so getting a veteran goalie doesn't really help the team much other than mentoring the goalies. And because they have never been in NHL playoffs, we don't know how they will play. They might pull a Holtby amd play specatular.

nidnus13

Oct 29, 2010
Calgary

If we could land a goalie south of 30, I'd be all over that, because, it could help us now and in the future. Now is not the time to throw assets away for short term gain. Does not make much sense to me, especially when Reimer and Scrivens have better stats this season.

Let's run with Reimer and Scrivens and see what they can do. If either get injured, so what, we are not winning it all this year. We'll just give another one of our young goalie prospects playoff experience.

I think we will

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Getting Kipper wouldn't be the end of the world. Its a hefty price to pay for a backup but he wouldn't be a bad addition.

That said, I don't see the need to do something like this. If all we are looking for is a veteran backup, why not go for someone cheaper like Khabibulin, Giguere etc. if available? Doesn't have to be them specifically, but someone in that range.

Best course of action may simply be to run with Reimer and Scrivens. Both have been good this year and Reimer especially deserves a shot to be this team's starter in the playoffs (assuming they make it).

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think we will

I like the optimism, but this is our first year back at the dance after the long rebuild. While I'll be cheering my butt off for them to go all the way, I don't think anyone expects them to be contenders just yet.

But soon, we will ;)

Essentially, we shouldn't be going all in like a team like the Canucks should be for example and I think Nonis realizes this. That said, a veteran or two couldn't hurt this year. Preferably not rentals.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

I can't disagree with any of your points. Then again, if they get a veteran goalie and are offered something for Scrivens it might make sense to trade him. That being said, I would also be perfectly happy with keeping him.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Why not trade Scrivens while his value is at its highest instead of making him sit in the press box? Use your head.

I guess I was implicitly assuming Kiprusoff was retiring, which I guess was a false assumption. Also Scrivens doesn't really have that much value (at least according to everyone here).

I'm not paying good capspace for Kiprusoff when there are much better uses for that cash. Too many negative consequences that could be avoided by not making the trade. Experience is the name you give to your mistakes. You can't get experience unless you give your goaltenders an opportunity to make mistakes.

Kiprusoff may indeed be better than Scrivens... but it's not worth the capspace. We have coaches and Scrivens knows very well what it takes to succeed in the playoffs.

What if Scrivens emerges as the better goaltender and Reimer falls like the Rask Raycroft situation?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Nope, sorry, not falling for your story here. I'd only make a trade for an insurance goalie if he'd be for now and the future.

So you haven't heard that part of getting Kipper would involve a contract extension thus having him here both now and in the future?

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Thanks.

I guess you don't realize that 'opinion' is defined as: 1) A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty; 2) A message expressing a belief about something; the expression of a belief that is held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

I think many people need to be reminded that established veteran goaltenders with playoff experience, were at some point in their careers, inexperienced goaltenders heading into the playoffs with pressure on their shoulders, do.

If our goalies are inexperienced, how do you get them experience? By playing them.

See what you have with them. If this was a Chicago Blackhawks situation, where potentially bringing in a stud goaltender could lead you to the Stanley Cup, then I think you strongly consider moving young assets.

But this Leaf is no where close to the Cup, like Al14 has said. Why burn assets?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I think many people need to be reminded that established veteran goaltenders with playoff experience, were at some point in their careers, inexperienced goaltenders heading into the playoffs with pressure on their shoulders, do.

And how many of them had veteran goalies to help them along?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I hope this is all just some favour Nonis is doing for Dreger so they have crap to talk about on TV tomorrow. Far-fetched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad