Speculation: The All Encompassing Leafs Goaltending thread - Leafs talking to Kipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Nonnis expresses his non interest in Luongo.

Funny,there isnt a cap issue for can't help Vancouver make the playoffs Luongo but Kipper at 2 years is a huge problem! Gillis once again creating a non market for Luongo,what a huge mess he is in. They can't just trade Scheinder because Luongo isnt that good. Gillis has the problem so he creates a stir with the naive expert leaf media thinking he can pressure Nonnis,who is talking to Kipper. I like the backup policy and that one cheap move(2nd rounder?) could win us an extra round in the playoffs.

Hmm Luongo at 9 years or Kipper at 2 years.Yup, Kipper is a much bigger problem than what Gillis has....not!

Jacob8hockey*

Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS59s
Mikka Kiprusoff is open to a trade to Toronto. Still wants adjustment on his contract for next season. #transactions2013

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Wow...just listening to TSN's Dreger saying that if the Leafs acquired Kipper, they would be on the hook for the cap hit (on his last contract year) if he retired after this season. This is the opposite of what Bob McKenzie, his colleague, said just before on the same radio station:sarcasm: Btw, I think McKenzie has it right: That Kipper's contract is not subject to cap recovery due to the contract length. So much for getting the facts from "hockey insiders";)

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Wow...just listening to TSN's Dreger saying that if the Leafs acquired Kipper, they would be on the hook for the cap hit (on his last contract year) if he retired after this season. This is the opposite of what Bob McKenzie, his colleague, said just before on the same radio station:sarcasm: Btw, I think McKenzie has it right: That Kipper's contract is not subject to cap recovery due to the contract length. So much for getting the facts from "hockey insiders";)

Its not a 35+ contract so we would not be on the hook for it

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

What if Leafs buys him out after this season?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leaf media logic.

If we trade for Luongo,the 9 years isn't an issue,but if we trade for Kipper 1 year is?!

If Kipper had played Boston,the Canucks would have won a cup.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
If we trade for Luongo,the 9 years isn't an issue,but if we trade for Kipper 1 year is?!

If Kipper had played Boston,the Canucks would have won a cup.

You can't just assume that they would have. The entire offense was being shutdown by the Bruins' physicality. Hard to say if Kipper could have won them the game if they didn't score at all. Perhaps there would have been 1-2 less goals, but if the Sedins can't score...no one else can.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Going for Kiprusoff seems like a pointless exercise. He doesn't want to come, is in semi retirement mode, is terrible and a distraction. If you need a goalie, go get one who wants to play for you. Stop using stupid Dreger as your public mouthpiece.

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
Going for Kiprusoff seems like a pointless exercise. He doesn't want to come, is in semi retirement mode, is terrible and a distraction. If you need a goalie, go get one who wants to play for you. Stop using stupid Dreger as your public mouthpiece.
He said he's open to a trade. That means he wants to come.

I'd rather be riding the pine on a 6th place team than be in goal for that mess over there.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON

He said he's open to coming here.

He's been terrible for 18 games of the past 7 seasons, and if he wants an extension, then I have a feeling that he isn't in semi-retirement mode.

Calgary has been a hell-hole the past few seasons. A lot of people believe he'd be motivated in a new environment where losing isn't accepted so easily.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Its not a 35+ contract so we would not be on the hook for it

Explains part of what I was having trouble logic-ing out. It's a bit a balance really-He could retire this year or next (when he's 34) and it not be on the cap-Nonis could also use amnesty this year (after potential playoffs if he REALLY didn't like what he sees) or next.

However, if he gets 2 more years, into his 35/36 years, cap hit applies, and any buyout would go against cap so I think Nonis, this time next year-even if he has signed an extention-would have to take the time to decide if he amnesties him in the last avaliable year for it not to count. I think that would depend on how Kipper performs.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Couldn't disagree more. He would come in as a mentor and a back-up and I'd rather have an experienced goalie with playoff experience then Ben Sievens.

This is assuming of course that Optimus Reim is our starter. But even if he struggles we still have an top-tier goalie as a backup with PO experience.

It basically gives us more options. Are you in personal contact with him that you know for certain he doesn't want to come here and is in "hang 'em up" mode?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He said he's open to coming here.

He's been terrible for 18 games of the past 7 seasons, and if he wants an extension, then I have a feeling that he isn't in semi-retirement mode.

Calgary has been a hell-hole the past few seasons. A lot of people believe he'd be motivated in a new environment where losing isn't accepted so easily.

Well, if we comes over and platoons well for zero cost, I guess it's not much of a gamble, but when Reimer says its a distraction, you hope to get that deal done as quickly and quietly as possible...

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It's a done deal IMHO.

If he comes with Giordano, I'd be thrilled. Depending on the price, I'll be pleased with the move regardless, I understand the benefits of an experienced veteran back-up in the playoffs, especially when they were a starter only a year ago.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
By that 'logic' they shouldn't bother picking up a d-man or a forward either because the ones they have have played well, have gotten them this far, and deserve the right to show what they can do in the playoffs.
A young goalie's confidence at this stage of his development might be a more tenuous, not to mention more seriously wide-ranging, issue than, say, a second pairing defenseman's confidence, though. If the Kipper move is intended to help Reimer, I sure hope that Nonis is making that clear to him, and I hope this is gotten out of the way, like, tonight, if possible.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he comes with Giordano, I'd be thrilled. Depending on the price, I'll be pleased with the move regardless, I understand the benefits of an experienced veteran back-up in the playoffs, especially when they were a starter only a year ago.

Looking at Feaster's returns, we're probably looking at giving up Jussi Rynnas and Kevin Marshall...

SteveV*

It is odd that amongst fans there is a division on Kipper, but with the former players and analysts completely universal opinion adding him would be a good move. Also, notice how Carlyle and Nonis always say we have "NHL quality goaltending" , but never say "above average" , "good", "exceptional" or "elite"? Since training camp same practiced line.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Couldn't disagree more. He would come in as a mentor and a back-up and I'd rather have an experienced goalie with playoff experience then Ben Sievens.

This is assuming of course that Optimus Reim is our starter. But even if he struggles we still have an top-tier goalie as a backup with PO experience.

It basically gives us more options. Are you in personal contact with him that you know for certain he doesn't want to come here and is in "hang 'em up" mode?

Do you think he planned on playing the last year of his cap circumventing deal for 1.5 million? That is some pay cut.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My ongoing nightmare is that Nonis and Gillis are involved in some long, back and forth, thrust and parry, seven-act charade of who blinks first and that inevitably Nonis will find some way of caving in and acquiring Luongo for Toronto, thus gumming up the works in so many different ways that it makes my head spin. My only hope is that some Vancouver posters are right in calling Nonis a conservative GM who doesn't like to take chances.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Also why do people car if he plays next year and we get the cap hit? Do people not realize how much cap space we will have especially after buying out Komi and likely Liles?

Also we only take half the cap hit I believe, Flames the other half.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It is odd that amongst fans there is a division on Kipper, but with the former players and analysts completely universal opinion adding him would be a good move. Also, notice how Carlyle and Nonis always say we have "NHL quality goaltending" , but never say "above average" , "good", "exceptional" or "elite"? Since training camp same practiced line.

Are you really shocked man? Honestly? These are the same fans that love the worst 1C in the history of the franchise. The same fans that supported Wilson while guys like me maybe you were calling for Wilson's head years ago. Is it really all that shocking?

This team needs to end the Fanmance(c)(tm)(theremedial) that they have with Bozak. We have best team since our conference final run back when minus a couple pieces.

1D Gio etc.
1G Kip
1Cammalleri

You get that and the most physical, top fighting, top 5 scoring top 5 pk top checking team in the league can compete. And all it will cost is some picks and maybe some UFA's to get done.

Go Leafs Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad