THE All Encompassing Jim Benning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridescent*

Guys hockey, all about hockey... Gillis may have sounded like a Rhodes Scholar in comparison but I'll take Benning's measured, small town drawl and hockey mind over Gillis' arrogance any day.

Also, I hope other GM's think the same way you do... it'll serve us well down the road.

I hope so, it certainly didn't serve us well today.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Pretty happy with Benning's first big test. If Gillis was still in charge, Kesler would have stayed a Canuck, would have been a miserable distraction all year, and then would have been traded at the 2015 draft for the rights to Corey Schneider, who would have signed elsewhere on July 1st.

So far, I think the new regime is a breath of fresh air. We'll see how it goes.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Get outta here with your well thought out posts! We're angry because Bob Murray didn't give us top dollar! Grrrrrrrrr.

Murray didn't give up anything of value. #10, Theodore, etc he kept the lot. Ducks fans must be so happy, great GM and they just got stronger on the ice and in prospects!

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Seriously for making 3 trades today I would've liked to say he won even just ONE of them...

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Seriously for making 3 trades today I would've liked to say he won even just ONE of them...

Problem is vets don't go for much anymore, Benning done good, he's cleaning house which is needed, if Bonino has a season like last then I think we win this, McCann is a solid prospect. Fans will need to give some slack here as the changes of fan favs are being done. We need a new culture here.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Problem is vets don't go for much anymore, Benning done good, he's cleaning house which is needed, if Bonino has a season like last then I think we win this, McCann is a solid prospect. Fans will need to give some slack here as the changes of fan favs are being done. We need a new culture here.

Still very early, but if Benning can find that shut down center, that Kesler was in Vancouver, I think Vancouver fans can learn to forgive. If, he managed to do that, and add a Paul Statsny, skill type of 2nd line center, or get a top notch puck moving defense man. Then, the whole fan base will jump back on the wagon.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
After today and all the post draft interviews I now think Benning is a complete idiot. Not ONE thing he's done has has left me thinking good things.

And I don't see this team in even the conference finals for the forseeable future.

Yes a 30 year career in professional sports as a player and management requires a gump like brain.....give it a rest. :shakehead

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Out: Kesler, Garrison, 3rd, 7th (Santo )
In: 0 quality pieces

Considering his hands were pretty much tied as far as the Kesler situation goes, he got a very solid return. Bonino is going to be really good for us, and Sbisa still has the potential to be a good second-pairing/great third-pairing guy. The third in that deal got us Dorsett, who is at the very least an upgrade on Tostitos. In a weaker draft, giving up that third isn't a huge loss. Not to mention the 24th, with which we got a nice prospect.

The Garry deal was obviously just to get rid of some salary. And considering he also had a NMC and wasn't spectacular for most of last season, a 2nd is fair value. If Benning got Malkin for Kesler people would still find something to ***** about.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Considering his hands were pretty much tied as far as the Kesler situation goes, he got a very solid return. Bonino is going to be really good for us, and Sbisa still has the potential to be a good second-pairing/great third-pairing guy. The third in that deal got us Dorsett, who is at the very least an upgrade on Tostitos. In a weaker draft, giving up that third isn't a huge loss. Not to mention the 24th, with which we got a nice prospect.

The Garry deal was obviously just to get rid of some salary. And considering he also had a NMC and wasn't spectacular for most of last season, a 2nd is fair value. If Benning got Malkin for Kesler people would still find something to ***** about.
Malkin isn't Crosby!
:sarcasm:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Murray didn't give up anything of value. #10, Theodore, etc he kept the lot. Ducks fans must be so happy, great GM and they just got stronger on the ice and in prospects!

Can't say that for sure, McCann and our 3rd could turn out well, Bonino too.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012

Yup, and this article sums up what you're saying here - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kesler-wore-out-his-welcome-with-canucks/

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Going the way of the Islanders. Seriously, Reinhart being linked so strongly when we had a chance at #1, and our next best plan is Virtanen? Damn, this how ownership move written all over it. Just saying.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If you think that's a good return for the best C available and best trade chip the Canucks have had in years then Im glad you have low expectations. It wasn't enough, The 10th or atleast a good prospect should've been included.
They have up very little of value to make their team a lot better.

Legit 1/2 C on a great contract & legit top 4 40 point D on a great contract for zero top picks, zero top prospects a kind of half a good roster player, and a throw away defenseman Anaheim didn't even want.

Oh and dorsett who I cannot believe couldn't be been had for a 4th/5th.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
If you think that's a good return for the best C available and best trade chip the Canucks have had in years then Im glad you have low expectations. It wasn't enough, The 10th or atleast a good prospect should've been included.
They have up very little of value to make their team a lot better.

Legit 1/2 C on a great contract & legit top 4 40 point D on a great contract for zero top picks, zero top prospects a kind of half a good roster player, and a throw away defenseman Anaheim didn't even want.

Oh and dorsett who I cannot believe couldn't be been had for a 4th/5th.

It was the best possible return though, considering Benning's hands were tied being able to trade with just 2 teams, not many options there to get the deal you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad