Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Garrison provided two teams:

Tampa Bay
Montreal

Canucks got a 50th pick
and 4.6 cap space to go towards a free agent

The cap space is evened out by Garrison's favourable contract, the cap going up and the inflationary salaries received by un-established defencemen recently.

AGAIN NOBODY KNEW GARRISON ONLY PROVIDED TWO TEAMS. Benning was not handcuffed in this situation because it wasn't public knowledge like it was with Kesler. This is not a valid excuse.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
After today and all the post draft interviews I now think Benning is a complete idiot. Not ONE thing he's done has has left me thinking good things.

And I don't see this team in even the conference finals for the forseeable future.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Watch the Canucks sign Miller and Stastny and become a playoff team. It may be a bandaid for 3 years but what happens in 3 years? Oh our prospects are ready? Do you really think the Sedins will lead a tank team? That wouldnt even be fair to them.

The Sedins are the team now. Until the day we retire 22 and 33 we got to give these guys a chance to win. I expect them both to bounce back hard. I remember when it was oh they arent top line players. Holy **** did they prove everyone wrong.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
One thing for sure, the Canucks are going to be harder to play against, and that's a great thing. Adding Dorsett, and Sbisa make the team, that much more physical and harder to play against. These guys, don't like to take crap from no one.

It'd be crazy, if Benning decides to go for a Bolland type, and go try to acquire Marchand. Imagine, a Burrows, Bolland, Marchand, everyone in the league hate type of 2nd line. That'd be fun.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I'll support Benning at least he has a vision and is true to his word thus far.

I like the idea of a all two-way gritty team. Where has flashy euro hockey gotten us in the past? Benning deserves to at least build his team before people raise their pitchforks. Nobody knows what the roster will look like at training camp.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
After today and all the post draft interviews I now think Benning is a complete idiot. Not ONE thing he's done has has left me thinking good things.

And I don't see this team in even the conference finals for the forseeable future.

Im sorry 2nd line super all star Kesler didn't fetch what you wanted.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Aside from Dorsett, I think the Vancouver Canucks had an awe-inspiring day.

Not that my opinion means too too much, as I'm an enemy.

But MAN. I am envious of what went down with Vancouver. Two GREAT moves, very courageous... And the best draft out of any team in the NHL.

A genuine kudos.

Islanders with MDC and Ho Sang was likely a better draft, but I do like The Canucks draft

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary

Aside from Dorsett, I think the Vancouver Canucks had an awe-inspiring day.

Not that my opinion means too too much, as I'm an enemy.

But MAN. I am envious of what went down with Vancouver. Two GREAT moves, very courageous... And the best draft out of any team in the NHL.

A genuine kudos.

Appreciate the positivity.

I'm still not sure how to feel about everything that went down today. Pretty happy with the draft and even the Kesler trade considering the situation is fine. But the Garrison and the Dorsett moves I'm not crazy about. I don't know what the heck they plan to do with all that cap space come July 1st too. Worries me. Don't want to overpay for average players like Bolland. And I wouldn't mind signing Hiller but not okay with paying big bucks to Miller.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I think it's odd that it's pretty unanimous amongst the nhl analysts, you know the people that judge these type of moves for a living, think Benning did good things today. Yet the HFboard crew knows better.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
I think it's odd that it's pretty unanimous amongst the nhl analysts, you know the people that judge these type of moves for a living, think Benning did good things today. Yet the HFboard crew knows better.

That's cause everyone Canuck fan wants the next Bure. Oh we didn't take a Russian better complain.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Yeah, the perception from Canuck fans and those outside Vancouver couldn't be any more different right now. Outside Vancouver, it was seen as a good day for the franchise. Here on HF, it's suicide watch. Really strange how wildly different opinions are on the day.

If nothing else, we know what to expect from here on out. And Ron Delorme looks like he's going to be keeping that seat warm next to Benning for quite some time.

Meat and potatoes players that tick all the boxes and play the right way is our future. It sounds so promising!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Actually what I don't get is why everyone is complaining that we drafted too many centres. First of all, we have no idea what any prospects will do, including the top end ones, in any draft.

I understand that individual posters might like individual players in place of the ones we actually picked, but having tons of centers when the vast majority of all prospects are doomed to be minor pros is a good thing. You want and need redundancy in your prospect pool. And it's easier to move centers to wing rather than vice-versa.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

I sometimes think the analysts say all the positive things just to be amicable.
There was any real criticism of any moves.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I sometimes think the analysts say all the positive things just to be amicable.
There was any real criticism of any moves.

Especially at draft time. This applies to every sport. The analysts will gush over the guy. Then two years later it's "everyone knew he didn't have the speed to compete in the NHL/NFL/NBA".

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lots of fake outrage today. Outside sources all agree we did well today.

I thought Benning was in a tough situation and facing the adversity he decided to cut his losses and just grind through it.

McCann and Virtanen aren't my preferred direction for the team but they're fine prospects.

I'm really excited at the increased draft volume we're picking at! I complained about it all the time, but picking a large number of times every draft is how you draft champion teams.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Actually what I don't get is why everyone is complaining that we drafted too many centres. First of all, we have no idea what any prospects will do, including the top end ones, in any draft.

I understand that individual posters might like individual players in place of the ones we actually picked, but having tons of centers when the vast majority of all prospects are doomed to be minor pros is a good thing. You want and need redundancy in your prospect pool. And it's easier to move centers to wing rather than vice-versa.

I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms about drafting so many centers either. You need three good centers to be a top contender for the Cup, and if we have a surplus that develop into good NHLers, great, now we have trade bait. I don't think many people were complaining when we had a surplus of goalies that we traded away for other pieces that we needed.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

I thought Benning was in a tough situation and facing the adversity he decided to cut his losses and just grind through it.

McCann and Virtanen aren't my preferred direction for the team but they're fine prospects.

I'm really excited at the increased draft volume we're picking at! I complained about it all the time, but picking a large number of times every draft is how you draft champion teams.

Outside sources also include a plethora of idiot journalists and analysts.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
For me...

a) Think Kesler hog tied the team and they got what they could. Benning wanted some picks for this draft so he moved possibly sooner than he could have BUT we'll see what McCann brings.

Keslers a punk and he showed it throughout his foot stomping request.

b) Garrison... just didn't fit the system they want to play, too slow, not physical. Salary dump more than anything.

c) Love Dorsett from the Rangers

For me those moves were all about cap space, feel they're going to be players in Free Agency coming up starting Tuesday.

Draft:

Happy with both guys so far... solid. Can't have enough centers, especially in our conference. Gaunce, Horvat and now Virtanen and McCann. Hopefully one of them can come in and make an impact in the next 3 years.

Figure in Free Agency they'll target a goalie (I think Hiller is the target) and a scoring winger. Maybe a mobile Dman... we'll see. You have to wonder if more trades are coming as well... Hansen/Burrows, who knows. Gotta get younger... I'd be willing to give Hansen/Burrows another year for sure, everyone hated Torts... probably nobody more than Hansen. Burrows was so beat up... to good a player to walk away from at this point.

All in all a good, solid, forward looking day... a Cancer gone from the dressing room, lots of cap space freed up, and some new talent in the system. Not sure many first time GM's have ever had a more impactful 'first' day on the job.

JA

I was initially disappointed that they elected not to draft Ehlers with the sixth-overall pick, but I think the Virtanen selection was good as well. Here is my impression of him, which I posted in his dedicated thread:

The highlight reel is certainly impressive. Kassian has become more of a playmaker than a power forward; I like the idea of a reckless, physical player who can out-skate the opposition and force the puck to the net. We haven't had any players in a while who could overwhelm the opponent with sheer size, strength and speed.

I don't view Kassian as much of a power forward. Virtanen is a good addition to the team if he can, in a few years, bring to the Canucks what he brought in that highlight package. Speed and dynamic skating ability were two of my criteria for our first selection in this year's draft. I had hoped for Ehlers, but Virtanen seems like the next-best option at the sixth-overall position.
Yet even with his physicality and shot Canuck fans are freaking over this pick..

Virtanen compares his style of play to Rick Nash, albeit with greater physicality and greater intensity. Virtanen's ceiling is probably lower than Nash's (Rick scored 40+ goals only twice in his career and 70+ points just once), but we're talking about a sixth-overall pick, so I wouldn't rule out Jake being a 30+ goal scorer in his prime. I can see some similarities based on the footage in this thread:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722475
Virtanen’s style of play has drawn many comparisons to New York Rangers forward Rick Nash.

“We're kind of identical players,” Virtanen said. “He likes to take the puck to the net. I think I'm a little more physical than that, I like to throw the body around."

“Jake has undeniable skill. Excellent skater who has speed, quickness and power. Can beat defenders with his skating and when he gets an advantage, his size makes it almost impossible for a defender to get back on equal footing. Very strong shot and can beat goaltenders from out but also has the quickness in his hands to score in tight. Has the potential to be a dynamic scoring winger.” - Craig Button, TSN Director of Scouting

Here's a highlight reel of some of Nash's goals from his time in Columbus. They're the same kinds of goals we see in the Virtanen reel. We haven't had a player of that type in quite some time, so I'm glad we selected him today. If he's an offensively watered-down Nash with greater compete level, grit and physicality, I'll be more than satisfied with this pick. If he can become a consistent 30-goal scorer in his prime, I would be ecstatic.

I'm much more concerned about the McCann pick. I think that's a greater question mark. The team made a good choice with the sixth-overall pick.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
For me...

a) Think Kesler hog tied the team and they got what they could. Benning wanted some picks for this draft so he moved possibly sooner than he could have BUT we'll see what McCann brings.

Keslers a punk and he showed it throughout his foot stomping request.

b) Garrison... just didn't fit the system they want to play, too slow, not physical. Salary dump more than anything.

c) Love Dorsett from the Rangers

For me those moves were all about cap space, feel they're going to be players in Free Agency coming up starting Tuesday.

Draft:

Happy with both guys so far... solid. Can't have enough centers, especially in our conference. Gaunce, Horvat and now Virtanen and McCann. Hopefully one of them can come in and make an impact in the next 3 years.

Figure in Free Agency they'll target a goalie (I think Hiller is the target) and a scoring winger. Maybe a mobile Dman... we'll see. You have to wonder if more trades are coming as well... Hansen/Burrows, who knows. Gotta get younger... I'd be willing to give Hansen/Burrows another year for sure, everyone hated Torts... probably nobody more than Hansen. Burrows was so beat up... to good a player to walk away from at this point.

All in all a good, solid, forward looking day... a Cancer gone from the dressing room, lots of cap space freed up, and some new talent in the system. Not sure many first time GM's have ever had a more impactful 'first' day on the job.
Get outta here with your well thought out posts! We're angry because Bob Murray didn't give us top dollar! Grrrrrrrrr.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
I have a 9 year old little cousin who is significantly smarter than Benning. The man is a buffoon.

Trying to do my thing and tow the line, but christ is it difficult when the Dilbert principle is so blatantly shoved in your face.

Alright there, Nancy. :yo:

EDIT: He's not much of a talker. So ****ing what?

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
I have a 9 year old little cousin who is significantly smarter than Benning. The man is a buffoon.

Trying to do my thing and tow the line, but christ is it difficult when the Dilbert principle is so blatantly shoved in your face.

Sometimes it's better just not to say anything. Sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad