Speculation: The all-encompassing coaching thread

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
we don't 'want' to fire him. it is just that it is getting very, very obvious that the rookie GM made a rookie mistake by firing a coach with 48 games into his tenure and replaced him with a rookie coach.

this has just got big f---ing mistake writen all over it.

It was obvious in July. Lets be clear here. i was stating it too.

A rookie GM, a rookie coach, for a heavily rookie or young player laden team was going to spell some trouble. It was absolutely stupid to do this. This one Eakins hire compromised any other gains MacT made during the off season. I have to admit I hadn't thought Eakins would be this bad, its actually far worse than I had thought.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
is to early to start asking:

1. is it a forgone conclusion that the Eakins experiment will fail (if it hasn't already)

2. when does Mact throw in the towel on Eakins? (if they finish 28th or better, when next season is lost. if they finish DFL, this summer.)

3. who with be the next coach? (Doug Weight?)

mact sees (saw) this guy as being the coach for 7 to 10 years. I seriously doubt he lasts the term of this contract.

The only reason eakins hasn't been fired is it impacts MacT by proxy due to hiring decision. Which is just typical of this org. Every jackass riding good ship lollipop into the ground to maintain their own selfish paycheques while never admitting a critical error.

"All is well, all is calm, we'll win sometime"....mark it down..:sarcasm:

I'd actually respect any of these clowns if they had the pride, perspective, and humility to stepdown and realize they are practicing beyond competence and hand the reigns to somebody that actually knows what they're doing.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
The only reason eakins hasn't been fired is it impacts MacT by proxy due to hiring decision. Which is just typical of this org. Every jackass riding good ship lollipop into the ground to maintain their own selfish paycheques while never admitting a critical error.

I'd actually respect any of these clowns if they had the pride, perspective, and humility to stepdown and realize they are practicing beyond competence and hand the reigns to somebody that actually knows what they're doing.

Mark_Messier_-_Coaching.JPG

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
we don't 'want' to fire him. it is just that it is getting very, very obvious that the rookie GM made a rookie mistake by firing a coach with 48 games into his tenure and replaced him with a rookie coach.

this has just got big f---ing mistake writen all over it.

Riiiiiiight.

You're suggesting that the rookie GM made a rookie mistake by firing a rookie coach 48 games in his tenure....

So he should fire the second rookie head coach, 48 games into his tenure.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
WOW!!! from jersy throwing, mact arguing with angrey fans, and the organization is getting roasted by more and more media, almost daily now, everything seems to be coming to a head. the house cleaning we've been pining might not be such pipe dream, after all.

realize that the hfboards is a microcosm of the hockey world.

Craig's Button's opinion holds little weight. In fact prior to the interview, most of the posters here had a very poor opinion of Craig Button based on his history as Calgary's GM and poor drafting... and now just because he criticized the Oilers coaching... that Button now has credibility and that the Oiler management should sit up and take notice?

Laughable.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013

great post.

people like to give mact credit for the positive moves he's made but fail to see the fatal flaws he has that undermine the positives.

the other night on openline someone called in and suggested trading gagner for help. Rob Brown's response was that he's a $5 million player and his value is low, nobody would want him. Well why is he a $5 million dollar player? He was an RFA, MacT gave him the big contract and a no trade to boot.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013

Craig's Button's opinion holds little weight. In fact prior to the interview, most of the posters here had a very poor opinion of Craig Button based on his history as Calgary's GM and poor drafting... and now just because he criticized the Oilers coaching... that Button now has credibility and that the Oiler management should sit up and take notice?

Laughable.

TSN will have a large audience tonight and they never shy away from letting us know how bad we are. Especially when we prove them right all the damn time.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It was obvious in July. Lets be clear here. i was stating it too.

A rookie GM, a rookie coach, for a heavily rookie or young player laden team was going to spell some trouble. It was absolutely stupid to do this. This one Eakins hire compromised any other gains MacT made during the off season. I have to admit I hadn't thought Eakins would be this bad, its actually far worse than I had thought.

it really did. it cost them this season by mid November and its going to cost them the next one, too. MacT can prove us all wrong with some savvy moves, however.

Riiiiiiight.

You're suggesting that the rookie GM made a rookie mistake by firing a rookie coach 48 games in his tenure....

So he should fire the second rookie head coach, 48 games into his tenure.

I'm.... I'm.... I'm suggesting we are hooped. We are stuck with a guy that never should have been hired because of the mistakes that preceded this mistake. its just wrong move followed by another, and another, and another.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Laughable.

While in this instance I agree that the source is questionable, and has been questioned, basically every source is stating this team is a cluster**** and playing very disorganized hockey. We hear this on every telecast except Sportsnet. The way this club plays, and how little sense their play makes, is a joke to most telecasters. CBC, TSN, US broadcasters spend all night critiquing this clubs disorganized play.

You can throw out the one source, sure, but it doesn't mean what Button states isn't par for the course. I would say it is.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Edmonton resident, Jets fan, I come in... well maybe not peace, but no active ill will...

You guys want to fire yet another coach? :laugh:

I would think the last 6-7 years have pretty conclusively shown that coaching is not the problem of the Edmonton Oilers. Between MacT, Quinn, Renne, Krueger and now Eakins, if changing the coach was going to do the trick, you'd think you would have seen it by now.

It could just be we've had crappy coaches. For every good coach there is probably two dozen mediocre or worse. I don't think anyone was expected this team to be a playoff team but at least be in the mix some where above second last in the league, this coach seems to be doing little to nothing to improve this team from any number of previous years.

To be second last and have almost every play regress is quite the accomplishment. If he some how comes through then fantastic but I am sure as hell not optimistic this coach has what it takes to be in the NHL.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
While in this instance I agree that the source is questionable, and has been questioned, basically every source is stating this team is a cluster**** and playing very disorganized hockey. We hear this on every telecast except Sportsnet. The way this club plays, and how little sense their play makes, is a joke to most telecasters. CBC, TSN, US broadcasters spend all night critiquing this clubs disorganized play.

You can throw out the one source, sure, but it doesn't mean what Button states isn't par for the course. I would say it is.

I agree with nearly everyone that Eakins has not done a great job as coach.

However, the reality is that the Oilers have three head coaches in successive years - that's got to be disruptive to the team and organization.

Unless a notable improvement like Ken Hitchcock or Joel Queneville comes our way, I'm not convinced that firing Eakins is going to improve things here.

Eakins is a rookie head coach, like Krueger. We did not give Krueger time to learn from his mistakes, that all rookies coaches make. I'm hoping that Eakins will learn from his mistakes and improve.

I'm also hoping that the Oilers give him time to learn, instead of firing yet another coach. Constantly firing head coaches teaches the young players one thing: a lack of accountability. Why listen to the head coach - why do the hard and difficult tasks that the head coach demands you to do - when the Oiler players know that he will just get fired in less than a year?

People wonder why the young players are so bad defensively? In my opinion, that's why. When players are outlasting the head coach continually, there's no one to hold them accountable.

I don't think the Rangers, the Canucks, and the Oilers made a mistake in thinking that Eakins showed good potential as a head coach. He had done his time in the AHL. I think the mistake was thinking that Eakins was ready right now as a head coach. Like rookie players, he will take seasoning.

I do think however that Eakins could use the help of a veteran, seasoned assistant coach like Larry Robinson or Paul Maurice.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
it really did. it cost them this season by mid November and its going to cost them the next one, too. MacT can prove us all wrong with some savvy moves, however.

I'm.... I'm.... I'm suggesting we are hooped. We are stuck with a guy that never should have been hired because of the mistakes that preceded this mistake. its just wrong move followed by another, and another, and another.

I don't disagree that we're stuck with Eakins. I'm hoping that there's plenty of room for Eakins to improve.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013

However, the reality is that the Oilers have three head coaches in successive years - that's got to be disruptive to the team and organization.

Unless a notable improvement like Ken Hitchcock or Joel Queneville comes our way, I'm not convinced that firing Eakins is going to improve things here.

Eakins is a rookie head coach, like Krueger. We did not give Krueger time to learn from his mistakes, that all rookies coaches make. I'm hoping that Eakins will learn from his mistakes and improve.

I'm also hoping that the Oilers give him time to learn, instead of firing yet another coach. Constantly firing head coaches teaches the young players one thing: a lack of accountability. Why listen to the head coach - why do the hard and difficult tasks that the head coach demands you to do - when the Oiler players know that he will just get fired in less than a year?

People wonder why the young players are so bad defensively? In my opinion, that's why. When players are outlasting the head coach continually, there's no one to hold them accountable.

I don't think the Rangers, the Canucks, and the Oilers made a mistake in thinking that Eakins showed good potential as a head coach. He had done his time in the AHL. I think the mistake was thinking that Eakins was ready right now as a head coach. Like rookie players, he will take seasoning.

I do think however that Eakins could use the help of a veteran, seasoned assistant coach like Larry Robinson or Paul Maurice.

This is the NHL these days, you can't fire the whole team so you fire the coach. Someone with some manner of respectability is in order because players are more likely to listen to someone that has some winning to wave in their face.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Don't hold your breath:laugh:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

The only possible way this can work with Eakins now is to replace his entire coaching staff. Acton has been underwhelming and nobody has been able to defend why Buchberger and Smith have lasted as long as they have. This organization will lose whatever credibility they still have left to leave it at status quo. I'd be willing to give Eakins the benefit of the doubt on another season if he had the help of good assistant coaches next year. It's going to be interesting to see how Buchberger and Smith are handled this offseason. If they're still here then it really doesn't matter who the head coach is.

themann

Nov 26, 2009
Assistant coaches

Sorry if you guys dont want this as a topic. I was just curious whether someone from the organization has ever spoken to the media as to why Buchburger and Smith have continuously been kept on as the head coach has been a revolving door. I had always been under the impression all new coaches bring in their own group of guys. With that being said has there ever been a situation like this where assistants continued to stay on after the head coach being fired?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think that MacT should interview former Oilers who have had Bucky and Smith to get a real opinion on how much they've helped players individually

Horcoff, Smid, Cogliano, Gilbert at least I'd go ask

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Pretty sure we have the worst coaching staff in the entire NHL. Name a single team with a less experienced group of coaches.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I think that MacT should interview former Oilers who have had Bucky and Smith to get a real opinion on how much they've helped players individually

Horcoff, Smid, Cogliano, Gilbert at least I'd go ask

Buchberger was actually MacT's assistant for the 08-09 season (well until April when Tambo fired him), not that it really matters.

Frankly, I wouldn't even bother interviewing those guys. Time for a change.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
These guys sure have trouble admitting when they're wrong. I'm sure it was their plan to make Buchberger an NHL coach, but refuse to let the guy go when it obviously isn't happening. They would rather be the laughing stock of the NHL than actually admit a mistake.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
These guys literally have the worst assistant coaching record in NHL history - that's not hyperbole. Also, our goaltending coach, Chabot? WTF has he done to keep his job? Mike Sillinger director of player development?!?!?!?! How does he still have a job?

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
Perry Pearn

- he was just fired by the Jets
- runs the 3-on-3 summer camp
- prior history coaching Eakins
- Alberta native

what are his strengths/weaknesses?
could the Oilers use him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad