Speculation: The all-encompassing coaching thread

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
RK will win. Which is funny because I was like the only person defending him last year. No coach will be "good" until we can improve our defense though

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I read an old article on Copper and Blue (few minutes ago) that said Krueger was pretty awful by their stats, not sure yet tbh. Right now I say Krueger but long term who knows. Maybe there was a ton of damage done over the last few years that has to be undone.

I am not gonna give up on Eakins, I have seen glimpses of awesome play from this team that I really didn't see last year 5 on 5. But I can't help to feel that everyone is still playing confused, as if nothing was explained to them clear enough and they make the same egregious errors over and over.

We either play like complete **** or play great and there is nothing in the middle because if we're not playing nearly perfect then we're losing games.

I feel that Krueger was a more cerebral coach who could identify faults and correct them. I felt like he did a decent job with the hand he was dealt and probably created a system to support that. I wonder why someone like Babcock would call him for Olympic duties if he was so bad. I think it will end up being a mistake. I may vote for Krueger atm. But Eakins still has room to grow on me.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Krueger has some kinks with his execution but at the end of the day, wins are what counts and he's got more out of a ****tier team than Eakins with a slightly better one.

Eakins let his arrogance get in his way of thinking straight. If he only kept what worked last year [special teams] and tried fixing what didn't [5 on 5], we wouldn't be bottom of the league again.

Instead, he preaches his fitness ******** and forces non-PK'rs to PK, amongst other BS he's introduced this season

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Krueger has some kinks with his execution but at the end of the day, wins are what counts and he's got more out of a ****tier team than Eakins with a slightly better one.

Eakins let his arrogance get in his way of thinking straight. If he only kept what worked last year [special teams] and tried fixing what didn't [5 on 5], we wouldn't be bottom of the league again.

Instead, he preaches his fitness ******** and forces non-PK'rs to PK, amongst other BS he's introduced this season

I agree to an extent and I find it funny that people bring up the fitness stuff as a plus for Eakins yet if I recall RK was a pretty big fitness buff too. I remember him talking about jogging in the valley a bunch. Of course this isn't marathons and stuff, that makes all the difference in the world.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Last year Krueger:

- did not have a training camp
- had only 48 games to prove himself
- PRV instead of Perron
- Whitney instead of Belov
- Horcoff instead of Gordon
- Belanger instead of say Arcobello
- injured RNH
- injured Eberle
- Tambo
- Condensed, Squished Schedule
- Green rookies in crucial spots.

And we still almost made the playoffs, could've made it if it wasn't for the lack of heart this team has.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Too early to say for sure. But one thing I will say, however, is that Yakupov looked to be coming into his own near the end of last season. Now he looks completely lost and is pretty much useless. Under Krueger, Yakupov seemed to be getting better and better. Now under Eakins, he's completely regressed in every area. Hall also had his break-out year last season under Kruegs. J. Schultz looked better. There are other examples, and this was with a team with a worse roster (no Perron, Gordon, Belov, etc.). I think Krueger was/is a better player developmental coach. With a team this young, I think keeping Krueger probably would've been the better choice.

But, if they really felt a coaching change WAS needed, why the hell do you replace one rookie coach with another one, with a team this young that is trying hard to find an identity. Oiler management is such a complete joke. Or should I say "Lowe," since he was the one that hired his old buddy, MacT, as a rookie GM, and allowed the coaching change done by his buddy-boy.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Looks like I'm in the minority....again.

I think Eakins will prove the nay sayers wrong...in time.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
How does Eakins even get a vote. Either MacT failed to improve the team this summer, or he hired the wrong guy. Perhaps both are true.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
Last year Krueger:

- PRV instead of Perron
- injured RNH
- injured Eberle
- Tambo

And we still almost made the playoffs, could've made it if it wasn't for the lack of heart this team has.

And also only played Western teams

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site

Have to disagree however he may do it in the future with another team. It isn't just the goaltending which has let the team down, almost every player has regressed which tells me the systems coaching is not working hence the continual bewildered looks on Eakins face. The team would have been better off with an established NHL coach not a rookie one who has made many mistakes this year. Honestly, WTF was Gagner doing on the point last night? At the end of the day who gives a ****, the entire management is garbage and until the lot of them are let go this team is going nowhere.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Krueger actually recognized players strengths and put them in positions to succeed while Eakins is trying to jam a square peg into a round hole with most of the players now.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Last year Krueger:

- PRV instead of Perron
- injured RNH
- injured Eberle
- Tambo

This and tougher competition.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Now that everyone has forgotten all the things that were horrible about him, Kreuger!

His 5 vs 5 numbers were apparently bad but is there much of a difference this year? Genuinely curious on the puck possession numbers this year vs last. Also neutral ice play last year as abysmal. As pointed out by a Copper N Blue article. I have no idea on the same stats this year.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
This is a pretty decent article. Maybe he's become a little less stubborn now. The team has played noticeably more consistent lately in terms of the quality of play, despite the standings. I didn't think we were completely outclassed against Boston, LA and Anaheim in comparison to previous years. Not saying they aren't better than us but we definitely were keeping pace with Boston and Anaheim and that never used to happen much. Maybe it was an off night for them but I thought we played pretty good those games.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/...as-eakins-says-expectations-approach-retooled

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

This place has the attention span of Gnats, who only look at what has happen NOW.

Not what happen last year, not what's going to happen next year. It's always in the present, filled with knee jerk reactions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad