The all encompassing Blanking and Moaning thread.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Missing Lehner. So assuming Calgary does nothing else, and we sign him, we could easily surpass them! Maybe not Columbus though...

The Fuhr*

Do the Sens have a 200G offense?

During the lockout without Spezza the Sens only had three players crack 10G in the 48 game season. (Turris 12, Alfredsson and Silfbverberg 10)

Turris led the team with 29Pts in 48GP... A 50 point pace per 82GP

My question is without Spezza how is the offense going to improve from the last time the team was without him.

All eyes will be on Turris... Will a 50 point season from the number one center be enough to get this team to the playoffs? Where are the goals going to come from?

Ryan - 30
Turris - 25
MacArthur - 20
Zibanejad - 15
Michalek - 15
Chiasson - 15
Stone - 15
Do the Sens have any other forward they can reasonably expect 10G from?

During the 48 game season without Spezza the Sens averaged 2.33 goals per game (191 goal pace)

Sens gave up 261 this past season... Will need to shave 60-70 goals from that to win games with that offensive support.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
During the lockout without Spezza the Sens only had three players crack 10G in the 48 game season. (Turris 12, Alfredsson and Silfbverberg 10)

My question is without Spezza how is the offense going to improve from the last time the team was without him.

All eyes will be on Turris... Will a 50 point season from the number one center be enough to get this team to the playoffs? Where are the goals going to come from?

Ryan - 30
Turris - 25
MacArthur - 20
Zibanejad - 15
Michalek - 15
Chiasson - 15
Stone - 15

During the 48 game season without Spezza the Sens averaged 2.33 goals per game (191 goal pace)

Sens gave up 261 this past season... Will need to shave 60-70 goals from that to win games with that offensive support.

I see a 220 GF - 240 GA season

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah, Smith's good for 15. I'd bet Greening gets at least 10. Zibanejad can probably be counted on for 20ish if his career progression is anything to go by. And 15 would be a career low for Michalek in a full season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, Smith's good for 15. I'd bet Greening gets at least 10. Zibanejad can probably be counted on for 20ish if his career progression is anything to go by. And 15 would be a career low for Michalek in a full season.

Need to deal in worst case scenario's for the most part. DUH!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Ryan - 30
Turris - 25
MacArthur - 20
Zibanejad - 15
Michalek - 15
Chiasson - 15
Stone - 15

Well no more Spezza + Michalek combination. Now just need the GSN line broken up. That a lone should shave off 50 goals against.

Add another season of experience for a very young defense. Anderson rebounding. Lehner improving.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Senators Chiasson Spezza out of Ottawa:sarcasm:

Also we need to start up our slogan for the upcoming season to try and keep positive...so far i have Save it for McDavid...or perhaps considering our owner....Saving for McDavid, also Play like crap for Jack,anyone else have any others?

Give like Santa, Save Like Euge.

2CHHAAIIINNNZZZZZ

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'll ***** and moan about Michalek, I don't get that signing unless they expect him to be much better than the past few years.

This year will suck, but it gives us a chance to play the kids and see what we have moving forward. Is Zibby going to progress or is he just a good 3rd line C? Can PW elevate enough to be a #4? Is Cowen teh beast we thought or the leaky dman we saw last year?

We need to figure these things out out and this is our chance I suppose.

Then we add next year knowing what our farm has provided us.

The Michalek signing was to make it easy to reach the cap floor.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't see Hoffman having 15 goals in him

I'd love to be wrong but I don't see it

At least not for next year

It all depends on how he is used. If he's playing 2nd line minutes and 1st PP on the point, 15+ is certainly attainable. That's pretty much best case scenario for him though, and probably not something you'd want to plan around.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
I feel like Hoffman is a late adjuster. In every league he's been in, it's taken him forever to adjust but when he does he blows it up. I don't think he'll be great this year, but I feel like down the road he can get 15-20.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Missing Lehner. So assuming Calgary does nothing else, and we sign him, we could easily surpass them! Maybe not Columbus though...

I think Burke will make more moves in the future, he's not afraid to get his hands dirty, but I also think that Calgary is going to go full tank mode for McDavid.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
If Brian Burke is still looking for more truculence we should offer Neil, Smith, Greening and Gryba for their 2015 1st :sarcasm:

I wish we had more 2015 picks, we kind of screwed the pooch when we didn't get a 1st rounder for Spezza. I would have rather had that than the prospects.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If you head over to the prospects thread someone who claims to be a professional scout posted his thoughts on the two new kids (and everybody else)

He said he was very impressed with Guptill and he thought he could see some NHL action this year

The Dallas fans told us he had top 6 player potential

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Ryan - 30
Turris - 25
MacArthur - 20
Zibanejad - 15
Michalek - 15
Chiasson - 15
Stone - 15

....Turris already had 58 points this year. Expecting 60+ isn't out of the question in 2014-15.

Karlsson had 20 goals this year with one leg.
MacArthur at 24 and Ryan at 23 while injured.
Michalek at 17 and Zibby at 16 with limited ice.

We'll score a decent amount of goals next year. No worries.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
....Turris already had 58 points this year. Expecting 60+ isn't out of the question in 2014-15.

Karlsson had 20 goals this year with one leg.
MacArthur at 24 and Ryan at 23 while injured.
Michalek at 17 and Zibby at 16 with limited ice.

We'll score a decent amount of goals next year. No worries.

Also with better defensive play, the goals scored may be enough

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
Now, I am very skeptical about this team going into next season. Extremely.

That said, I started tallying goal numbers that I think would be reasonable for each player this year and added them up, as below:

Turris - 25 - 26 last season
MacArthur - 20 - 24 last season, usually scores on about a 20 goal pace
Ryan - 30 - has done it before

Zibanejad - 20 - reasonable progression
Michalek - 24 - if he starts and stays healthy, could happen
Chiasson - 15 - had 13 last season

Smith - 12
Greening - 10 - has to bounce back a little bit - right? Right?

From here on down, these guys (+Da Costa, Conacher and Kassian) had 31 goals last season. I have them, with Lazar added (in limited minutes), hitting 41. Not a huge jump between six mostly young, mostly still improving young players who will see increased minutes this season.

Hoffman - 8
Stone - 8
Pageau - 5
Condra - 4
Lazar - 4
Neil - 4

That's 189 goals from forwards

Karlsson - 18 - I hope he'll be higher, but 20 goals is a lot for any defenceman
Methot - 8
Ceci - 6 - had only 3 last year but I think will see more PP time
Cowen - 6
Wiercoch - 4
Phillips - 1
Gryba - 4

47 goals from defence (same number as last year, by coincidence)

And I wound up with a higher number than this season past (236 vs 229). Last year, the Sens were 11th in the league in GF - not a bad place to be, really. The problem was on the other end, keeping pucks out and staying out of the box.

Now, somebody will inevitably get hurt or poop the bed completely, but right now it doesn't look like this team will be totally starved for offence. Could go either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad