RDS: The All Encompassing Bergevin Thread: "I know where we are going"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The guys are there for work, and this clown dresses like that? WTF...

To be fair, this may have just been Treliving from the other POV:

10_Choi_Jin_Hyuk.jpg

Reactions: groovejuice

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
My bad, a slip-up on my part. I clearly meant 91.9FM. I'm a media buff, I know the difference. It was a typo.

Thanks for letting me know. I've corrected my post accordingly.

Back to 91.9FM, their best contributors are on the morning show. I also enjoy the rapid-fire segment that Langevin moderates and the off beat (heavily scripted and often, super lame) answers that Ciccone provides while their guest plays the serious part and provides reasoned answers.

Pierre Houde is incredibly funny, especially when he imitates certain neanderthal callers of the station. MAG, Labbé, Leclerc -- that's exactly the type of sports radio I like.

Was never really a big fan of sports radios. Does 91.9 hold similar conversations then RDS or are they more blunt and closer to what most people here write?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
For him to come to Montreal he’d have to be offered the GM position and it doesn’t sound like that will be available this summer.

I don't disagree. I think Molson has clearly thrown his dubious support behind Bergevin. I'm only saying that IMO BriseBois is the best candidate.

Judging from the state of the Habs from top to bottom, we'll have to suffer through at least another 1/2 season of Bergevin unless there is unrest among the ownership group of the Canadiens. If there is, all bets are off.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
not just his own, Brian Wilde's too.

It's one of the most perfect partnerships in the turd world.

One guy is media savvy, can put two sentences together but veers off into the space station, to the moon, to the Himalayas and back to where he is, while your mind is grappling with what just happened.

The other is a self-proclaimed scouting authority who self-destructs on air, who is belligerent and who revels in being an internet bully except when it comes to Habs management and their scouting decisions, who he won't desecrate for fear of losing that last strand of hope that he believes, would cause them to hire him again.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's mind blowing in a legend-in-his-own-mind kind of level.
That's exactly the thought I had.

He really thinks he's some sort of superstar. He's the friggin Molly Shannon of NHL GMs. "Supastar!!!"

@Bloumeister ... blou im calling on you... we need molly shannon doing the supastar steppette with Bergy's head instead of hers.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Was never really a big fan of sports radios. Does 91.9 hold similar conversations then RDS or are they more blunt and closer to what most people here write?

Depends what time of day you're listening.

The best and most intelligent contributors are on their morning show, Langevin and Ciccone, from 6-10AM.

Then it's followed by Gilbert Delorme (10-noon) , who is more of an old school bon-vivant, who likes to dabble in anecdotes and souvenirs from all things Montreal. He takes a lot of calls on his show but the quality of calls is mediocre most of the time.

Laraque and Gonzalez(noon-3PM) dabble into everything and they probably have the worst callers, low-IQ stuff. Laraque in particular, invites that kind of content as he's laughing his head off at all the poor saps who think they've got a media persona to uphold. They are mostly dealing in conjecture. They're more about entertainment than actual content.

And closing the afternoon is JC Lajoie(from 3PM), who has to be one of the worst interviewers of all time. His rhetorical questions are unnecessarily wordy, as are the prequels he burdens his guests with, before getting to the point -- and that's if it's even a point. He's ornery, with thick layers of sugar and banal puns sprinkled into his very unusual delivery. It's OK to sound original but not with the recipe this guy is using. If you thought McKenna was full of himself or annoying, Lajoie takes it to a whole other level. And he's another Réjean Tremblay fan and linguistic zealot and defender of the Republic of Demagoguery. Consume at your own risk and loss of chromosomes.

Reactions: groovejuice

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018

The best and most intelligent contributors are on their morning show, Langevin and Ciccone, from 6-10AM.

Then it's followed by Gilbert Delorme (10-noon) , who is more of an old school bon-vivant, who likes to dabble in anecdotes and souvenirs from all things Montreal. He takes a lot of calls on his show but the quality of calls is mediocre most of the time.

Laraque and Gonzalez(noon-3PM) dabble into everything and they probably have the worst callers, low-IQ stuff. Laraque in particular, invites that kind of content as he's laughing his head off at all the poor saps who think they've got a media persona to uphold. They are mostly dealing in conjecture. They're more about entertainment than actual content.

And closing the afternoon is JC Lajoie(from 3PM), who has to be one of the worst interviewers of all time. His rhetorical questions are unnecessarily wordy, as are the prequels he burdens his guests with, before getting to the point -- and that's if it's even a point. He's ornery, with thick layers of sugar and banal puns sprinkled into his very unusual delivery. It's OK to sound original but not with the recipe this guy is using. If you thought McKenna was full of himself or annoying, Lajoie takes it to a whole other level. And he's another Réjean Tremblay fan and linguistic zealot and defender of the Republic of Demagoguery. Consume at your own risk and loss of chromosomes.
I'll have a listen tomorrow from 7 to noon and see if I like it. Thanks for the briefing of the whole thing

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Great thing about Syl is he is SUPER consistent. Other than those 2 blips where he made the playoffs, he is right on target with this team's game plan.

Actually, he made the playoffs in the last year of the Ice Caps team, when the leagues changed the rules for playoff eligibility. The league's move received heavy criticism as it based the new system on criteria that favored mediocre teams.

If it weren't for the change in rules, Lefebvre would have fallen out of the playoffs again, under the old rules. There are articles that explain the rule change and why it shouldn't have happened. Not going to give Lefebvre a pass for something he did nothing about.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That was my first impression as well. Bergevin obviously well liked and respected among his peers. :sarcasm:

That looks like the non-response of a GM who had a handshake deal that his trading partner backed out of at the final second when alternatives weren't possible.

Well Calgary was interested in Pacioretty & they're missing the playoffs largely because of poor offense & Smith getting injured with no suitable replacement. Patches would've given Calgary better scoring depth which they really needed.

Rumours were MB had at least 2 quality trade options for Pacioretty & I expect Calgary was one of them.

Probably did blow off a handshake deal for whatever reason.

OTOH it's not like Montreal was required to send him to Calgary.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well Calgary was interested in Pacioretty & they're missing the playoffs largely because of poor offense & Smith getting injured with no suitable replacement. Patches would've given Calgary better scoring depth which they really needed.

Rumours were MB had at least 2 quality trade options for Pacioretty & I expect Calgary was one of them.

Probably did blow off a handshake deal for whatever reason.

OTOH it's not like Montreal was required to send him to Calgary.

Not required, no. But very bad form to leave another GM in the lurch with no time on the clock. Word gets out.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
it's not, ever listen to his post game interviews? He makes my ears bleed. It's his decisions though that seem to make the least amount of sense, so in that regard I do think one can certainly make a case that he's not very bright but then again we don't know what he's being told to do by management. Was it his idea to take a recently turned 20 year old (just over a month) that was coming off 2 major injuries and missed a large chunk of the season to change his position from RW to a much tougher Center position especially when you know said player had a terrible defensive game and effort. I could go on but it's just repeating the same things that have been said over the past few years now.

Yes, he's really impressed me this year so for me he's the best player to graduate from the AHL that played more then 30ish games.
Honestly, I've never heard Lefevbre speak and have no idea what he sounds like. I'll take your word for it, because if I avoid listening to Bergevin I'm not about to change my habits for Lefevbre.

As for Hudon, sure, the kid looks like a pretty good 3rd liner right now. Nice, but not much of a crowning achievement for Lefevbre. Any further upside for Hudon and other prospects is hypothetical.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Honestly, I've never heard Lefevbre speak and have no idea what he sounds like. I'll take your word for it, because if I avoid listening to Bergevin I'm not about to change my habits for Lefevbre.

As for Hudon, sure, the kid looks like a pretty good 3rd liner right now. Nice, but not much of a crowning achievement for Lefevbre. Any further upside for Hudon and other prospects is hypothetical.

I think Hudon is close to breaking out, he seems to have the skills and smarts, but just hasn't been able to consistently translate them so far but it's his first full year so I do think/hope that in a year or two he breaks out and becomes a 50 pt player for us or there abouts.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Actually, he made the playoffs in the last year of the Ice Caps team, when the leagues changed the rules for playoff eligibility. The league's move received heavy criticism as it based the new system on criteria that favored mediocre teams.

If it weren't for the change in rules, Lefebvre would have fallen out of the playoffs again, under the old rules. There are articles that explain the rule change and why it shouldn't have happened. Not going to give Lefebvre a pass for something he did nothing about.
I think you missed what I was saying...it was a joke. Syl is consistent at not making the playoffs, which falls in line with the Habs game plan.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

I don't think JC Lajoie is as bad as you're describing him. Sure he goes over the top most of the time, and most of what he says is bullcrap but you need to understand the persona he's trying to project himself to really lay back and take whatever he says with a huge grain of salt, and then you may start to enjoy him. My biggest issue with his show are his guests. I mean f***ing Pierre Rinfret, who still considers this guy? Yvon Pednault? Terrible. Surprisingly I'm finding Mike Bossy to be bad as well, he has some weird comments sometimes that make absolutely no sense.

The morning show is indeed very good. Langevin is annoying sometimes but Ciccone is great.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think you missed what I was saying...it was a joke. Syl is consistent at not making the playoffs, which falls in line with the Habs game plan.

Quite the opposite, I reinforced the point you were making. He's a bigger failure than you portrayed, even if it was only on account of a playoff berth he got but didn't deserve.

Wasn't your point that he was SUPER CONSISTENT? It's quite obvious you were being sarcastic, as you put those words in capitals. My contribution merely completed your depiction -- he's even more super consistent than you suggested with that playoff berth that shouldn't have been.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad