The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What now?
Just everything. The spec thread is a cess pool.

The Kings need to trade Kopitar. Really? That's what LA needs to do? Dude has a $10m AAV for the next six years. Who is trading for that contract? Are they going to get anywhere near equal value for him without retaining? Homie just put up a Hart season and that's who they need to trade?

Nobody thinks about the shit they post anymore.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

The Kings need to trade Kopitar. Really? That's what LA needs to do? Dude has a $10m AAV for the next six years. Who is trading for that contract? Are they going to get anywhere near equal value for him without retaining? Homie just put up a Hart season and that's who they need to trade?

Nobody thinks about the **** they post anymore.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
What they should do is do exactly what Boston did: identify a veteran core, and get rid of the excess. Keep Kopitar, Toffoli, Doughty and build out from there.

If they’re shrewd, they can get someone to bite on the Carter deal and try to get back a younger player that can fill his shoes in aggegate before he declines. No one ever considers the salary cap, and the spec thread is always bad.

Reactions: silverfish

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The full article - Mookie Betts or Mike Trout: Who gets the nod? - The Boston Globe - is full of ridiculously wrong takes from multiple scouts.

Not only wrong takes and opinions you also have Fake Stats

“I’d go with Trout,” said a National League evaluator. “Close though. Betts is a year younger and has a better OPS over the last two years.”

Since 2016:
Betts - 0.869
Trout - 1.022

So not only is he blatantly wrong it's not even remotely CLOSE. The difference between Trout and Betts (in OPS) is the same as the difference between Betts and scrubs who aren't even starting players.

Just goes to show how much a joke "scouting" is with regards to players actually in the league.

What they should do is do exactly what Boston did: identify a veteran core, and get rid of the excess. Keep Kopitar, Toffoli, Doughty and build out from there.

If they’re shrewd, they can get someone to bite on the Carter deal and try to get back a younger player that can fill his shoes in aggegate before he declines. No one ever considers the salary cap, and the spec thread is always bad.

The other thing the Kings should do is play their second best goal scorer more than 16 minutes a game and not play him often on the third line but what do I know.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The other thing the Kings should do is play their second best goal scorer more than 16 minutes a game and not play him often on the third line but what do I know.

Yeah, the juggling around of Toffoli was perplexing this series, especially with how Carter played without him. Don’t think it’ll be an issue going forward, unless they think Dustin Brown somehow found a fountain of youth rather than getting ridiculously lucky all season.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

shrug

Only thing I've compared to Corsica is xG. CBJ is close, but WSH misses by 0.7

I want to believe that Vally is using tracked data like pre-shot movement to factor into his model. Then again, idk if his metrics are peer reviewed.

That link explaining Manny’s xGF model made me appreciate it a bit more. I didn’t know how layered it was

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

shrug

Um. Also SOG on NHL.com are 45-35....

I wonder if scorers added a few more SOG at the end when submitting/reviewing. I feel like that happens more often than not.

Alternatively: CSA has it's own live trackers and those are their SOG totals.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wonder if scorers added a few more SOG at the end when submitting/reviewing. I feel like that happens more often than not.

A discrepancy of six shots on goal for CBJ seems high.

Can a SOG be subjective?

Something is weird, here.

I'd really, really want to see the six events that the NHL considers a SOG but CSA does not.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
A discrepancy of six shots on goal for CBJ seems high.

Can a SOG be subjective?

Something is weird, here.

I'd really, really want to see the six events that the NHL considers a SOG but CSA does not.

If clearsight is lower I would imagine they don't give SOG on shots that the goalie "saves" that are going wide that almost all get counted in the NHL.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Interesting hypothesis. A shame we'll never know.

I take it they don't provide any information about the shots other than "There were x shots taken?"

SOG almost never get adjusted after the game. Occasionally by like 1. Goals/Assists change somewhat commonly.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

shrug

Um. Also SOG on NHL.com are 45-35....

I couldn't figure out why low, high, and medium shot % didn't add up to 100% and then realized they added up to the absolute shot total. So why call it a percentage? What am I missing?

Edit: I guess it's the legend of the pie chart.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I couldn't figure out why low, high, and medium shot % didn't add up to 100% and then realized they added up to the absolute shot total. So why call it a percentage? What am I missing?

Edit: I guess it's the legend of the pie chart.
Because it's a terrible way to disseminate information. If I gave that to one of my supervisors, I'd be fired.

Well...then tell us how you do it?

I asked for more clarification, and all they did is retweet and favorite their initial reply to me. Great.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah, the juggling around of Toffoli was perplexing this series, especially with how Carter played without him. Don’t think it’ll be an issue going forward, unless they think Dustin Brown somehow found a fountain of youth rather than getting ridiculously lucky all season.

Imagine having the opportunity to draft Toffoli...only to take Christian Thomas.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Nobody thinks about the **** they post anymore.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Man, you really oversold this! I was expecting to see a bunch of crazy shit about Kopitar that would brighten my morning, but it was literally just RB saying that he should be traded and someone else pointing out how dumb that would be...

Reactions: Bozle

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Man, you really oversold this! I was expecting to see a bunch of crazy **** about Kopitar that would brighten my morning, but it was literally just RB saying that he should be traded and someone else pointing out how dumb that would be...
The problem is some people think RB is the gospel

He spreads his narratives like wild fire fam

Reactions: SA16 and mike14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad