The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Out of curiosity, what features do you guys currently find lacking on sites like corsica, etc.?
As a full stack engineer, I'm thinking of pursuing a side project and thought it might be fun to create a stats website. Mainly because the UX on websites like corsica makes me scream. I would definitely get fired if I put out anything like that :laugh:
The product I work on is financially focused anyway (you can check out Addepar Careers, Funding, and Management Team | AngelList for a demo) and mainly works with charts/tables etc.

Will probably use ember-table for visualizations as it's what I'm most familiar with :)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Out of curiosity, what features do you guys currently find lacking on sites like corsica, etc.?
As a full stack engineer, I'm thinking of pursuing a side project and thought it might be fun to create a stats website. Mainly because the UX on websites like corsica makes me scream. I would definitely get fired if I put out anything like that :laugh:
The product I work on is financially focused anyway (you can check out Addepar Careers, Funding, and Management Team | AngelList for a demo) and mainly works with charts/tables etc.

Will probably use ember-table for visualizations as it's what I'm most familiar with :)
I never really have an issue on Corsica. Yeah, it crashes sometimes, but Manny isn't making any money off the site so it's not like I blame him for that.

I think the best thing a stats site can be is interactive. Let people make their own viz, or only view the stats they want to see. More often than not, if you're going to Corsica you're trying to answer a specific question. Just ease of use to get that answer. Which I personally think Corsica has, but that's prob because I'm on there 100 times a day so I can navigate pretty well.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate

It baffles me how Dolan seems like one of the better owners when it comes to the Rangers and is a completely incompetent buffoon when it comes to the Knicks. How is that possible?

Quinn and Montgomery are my two choices for the college market so the fact they’re in the mix, I’m hyped.

I'd be down for Montgomery. He seems to be an excellent developer of talent. Quinn I'm not sold on. I've talked about it in the prospect thread but Quinn is not a great in game coach from my viewings. Part of it might be the turnover from the high end talent leaving early, but it's a lot of high end talent. That team hasn't really played to their talent level except when they had one of the best freshman in college hockey ever. Plus just about every BU fan hates him and that's not a dumb fanbase.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The feature I find missing is the site ever working.

I basically use Natural Stat Trick for almost everything now since it actually works and I don't have to reload it 10 times to get what I'm looking for.

I never really have an issue on Corsica. Yeah, it crashes sometimes, but Manny isn't making any money off the site so it's not like I blame him for that.

I think the best thing a stats site can be is interactive. Let people make their own viz, or only view the stats they want to see. More often than not, if you're going to Corsica you're trying to answer a specific question. Just ease of use to get that answer. Which I personally think Corsica has, but that's prob because I'm on there 100 times a day so I can navigate pretty well.

It's obviously a huge site at this point but FanGraphs has everyone beat on this by an absolute mile. You can customize pretty much everything on it to get exactly what you want every time.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's obviously a huge site at this point but FanGraphs has everyone beat on this by an absolute mile. You can customize pretty much everything on it to get exactly what you want every time.
Right. I'd imagine if Corsica had the reach and funds that Fangraphs did, the issues would be mitigated tenfold. But you gotta remember that Manny is keeping this floating via Patreon donations and his own pocket. Same with Micah. Can't complain about it. Enjoy the resource before these guys get hired and everything goes dark.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Right. I'd imagine if Corsica had the reach and funds that Fangraphs did, the issues would be mitigated tenfold. But you gotta remember that Manny is keeping this floating via Patreon donations and his own pocket. Same with Micah. Can't complain about it. Enjoy the resource before these guys get hired and everything goes dark.
Doesn’t Micah already sell his proprietary stuff to teams?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You can't ignore threads on HF anymore, right? For my own sanity, I need to ignore the spec thread. How can I do this because I don't have the willpower to do it alone.

Also: Shout out to the Maple Leafs, HFNYR's gold-standard of hockey-rebuilds, who are about to get first-rounded again. Feed me the hot takes about how AM34 isn't a gamebreaker.

^ Holy shit, there's an AM34 take in the around the nhl thread I am loooooooooooooosing it.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I like Eichel, I think he’s better than Matthews

I’d move a lot to get him, but a less than zero chance he’s available

But damn he’d be fun

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The spec thread is so cancerous right now because we have nothing to talk about.

We can only talk about low key coaching candidates and the top 10 of the draft so many times until we get some names dropped

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Would be very nice if he came to New York, but I doubt it happens.
He's gonna land in Calgary. We're gonna hire an off-brand NCAA coach. Keep Lindy on the bench to help with the "transition" and hire like MSL or something stupid like that as the other assistant.

CAN I BE WRONG EVER. COME ON.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You can't ignore threads on HF anymore, right? For my own sanity, I need to ignore the spec thread. How can I do this because I don't have the willpower to do it alone.

Also: Shout out to the Maple Leafs, HFNYR's gold-standard of hockey-rebuilds, who are about to get first-rounded again. Feed me the hot takes about how AM34 isn't a gamebreaker.

^ Holy ****, there's an AM34 take in the around the nhl thread I am loooooooooooooosing it.

You sort of can. If you ignore the user who posted the thread then the whole thread won't show up.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Hey @Gardner McKay can you do me a solid and make someone else start the next spec thread :P

If you don't mind I have some suggestions on people that I think would be great at starting it.

Note that I'm only aware of this because there were a couple of threads I could NEVER find while home but would show up at work (I don't usually log in when I browse during work unless I have something to post). Then I realized.

Reactions: silverfish

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
@silverfish Carp wrote for the Athletic earlier this week that Gorton talked to Ruff and apparently they’re going to let the new coach decide if Ruff stays (pls no)

Peters is good, Calgary will be better next season

I’m fine with an “off brand” NCAA coach, depending on what your definition of off brand is

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If you don't mind I have some suggestions on people that I think would be great at starting it.

Note that I'm only aware of this because there were a couple of threads I could NEVER find while home but would show up at work (I don't usually log in when I browse during work unless I have something to post). Then I realized.
Was pretty funny when 3 or 4 people made GDTs near the end of the year because we all had the same user on ignore. That’s how I found out

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The Canes are totally gonna hire Tippett or Rod the Bod and basically just blame their ails on everything but goaltending, right?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
@silverfish Carp wrote for the Athletic earlier this week that Gorton talked to Ruff and apparently they’re going to let the new coach decide if Ruff stays (pls no)

Peters is good, Calgary will be better next season

I’m fine with an “off brand” NCAA coach, depending on what your definition of off brand is
I consider all NCAA coaches "off brand" because they're not in the revolving door of fired NHL coach gets hired by other NHL team.

I also don't mind keeping Ruff around. But I'd see if we can transition him to offense and bring in someone new for the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad