The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
@silverfish interesting.

I though Ulf would have been a solid HC candidate as well. Interested to see how he and Arniel do away from AV

Are you fully onboard with Keefe? Seems like he may be the number 1 guy based on what Gorton is saying he is looking for
What do we know about Keefe besides he's running with a stacked Marlies team in the AHL? He's the coaching version of Greenway. I'd imagine the Rangers could be potentially more in on him as they're probably familiar with him while they were keeping tabs on Halverson.

Keefe also has a lot of off-ice history that doesn't really fit the mold with the Rangers, but perhaps that is less of an issue now that he's back in the spotlight.

I suppose where there is smoke, there is fire. I wouldn't be disappointed with a Keefe hiring, but I'd be cautious.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Keefe also has a lot of off-ice history that doesn't really fit the mold with the Rangers, but perhaps that is less of an issue now that he's back in the spotlight.

I suppose where there is smoke, there is fire. I wouldn't be disappointed with a Keefe hiring, but I'd be cautious.
Yeah I feel somewhat similar. The fact that it sounds like they want someone new is good.

I’d be curious to see if the bring in Keefe, if they also start to build some sort of analytics team with him.

Dubas liking tweets about Keefe being the next coach is pretty funny though

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
What do we know about Keefe besides he's running with a stacked Marlies team in the AHL? He's the coaching version of Greenway. I'd imagine the Rangers could be potentially more in on him as they're probably familiar with him while they were keeping tabs on Halverson.

I think Keefe makes sense if they’re trying to keep a competitive environment to develop the young core they’re trying to build since that’s basically what he’s doing now at a lower level

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Dubas liking tweets about Keefe being the next coach is pretty funny though
Saw that. Probably trolling?

I wish one of the beat reporters grew a sack and asked Gorton today about how AV thought about analytics and if he anticipates hiring a more... open-minded coach... but our beat.

I think Keefe makes sense if they’re trying to keep a competitive environment to develop the young core they’re trying to build since that’s basically what he’s doing now at a lower level

Sure. Keefe would be far from a bad hiring. I have no idea what a good hire is right now, though, as the days go on, I lose more and more respect for people who are actually in the "hockey world".

Cynical off-season mode activated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Saw that. Probably trolling?

I wish one of the beat reporters grew a sack and asked Gorton today about how AV thought about analytics and if he anticipates hiring a more... open-minded coach... but our beat.

Sure. Keefe would be far from a bad hiring. I have no idea what a good hire is right now, though, as the days go on, I lose more and more respect for people who are actually in the "hockey world".

Cynical off-season mode activated.
I’m glad you’re mentioning Keefe being given loaded teams because people keep overlooking it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
When your scrape dies with 100 games remaining and you have to restart it from the beginning. Love that.

Kovalchuk, Ilya.

Thoughts? Or wait for contract details before making a judgement..
Want to wait and see if it's two years or three years, exact AAV, and I want to see what Nash signs for whenever/wherever he signs.

But overall, I'm pretty jacked up about it. That dude can still game.

EDIT - Everything below here happened after Bozle liked this post.

KZB
Kovalchuk - Hayes - Zuccarello (yo, what a line)
Namestnikov - Chytil - Andersson
Lettieri - Schaller - Fast

Klefbom - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Pionk (barf at this pairing)
Gilmour - Smith
Kampfer

Hank
Gorgeous

That's not bad. Need to get creative and add one more very solid RD. Kovalchuk essentially replaces the $6.5m AAV I had lined up for JvR. This lineup should have roughly $6m of cap to play with. If we can sign Nash 3@$4m AAV and plug him into Andersson's spot, that'd be solid. Or, it allows us to dish Hayes for a top-flight RD, and move Andersson and Chytil onto their own lines. Best way to protect the kids at center is to stack the wing.

Ignoring Kreider and Buch, we still have Nash, Kovalchuk, Zucc, and Namenstnikov to round out the middle-6.

Could be worse.

But I suppose we should wait and see who wins the cup this year as that will dictate the "what every team needs narrative" in the off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bozle

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
When your scrape dies with 100 games remaining and you have to restart it from the beginning. Love that.

Want to wait and see if it's two years or three years, exact AAV, and I want to see what Nash signs for whenever/wherever he signs.

KZB

Klefbom - Shattenkirk
Gilmour - Smith
Kampfer

Hank
Gorgeous

That's not bad. Need to get creative and add one more very solid RD. Kovalchuk essentially replaces the $6.5m AAV I had lined up for JvR. This lineup should have roughly $6m of cap to play with. If we can sign Nash 3@$4m AAV and plug him into Andersson's spot, that'd be solid. Or, it allows us to dish Hayes for a top-flight RD, and move Andersson and Chytil onto their own lines. Best way to protect the kids at center is to stack the wing.

Ignoring Kreider and Buch, we still have Nash, Kovalchuk, Zucc, and Namenstnikov to round out the middle-6.

Could be worse.

But I suppose we should wait and see who wins the cup this year as that will dictate the "what every team needs narrative" in the off-season.

If Vegas wins, do we fold the franchise and re-enter as an expansion team?

Reactions: silverfish

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

KZB

Klefbom - Shattenkirk
Gilmour - Smith
Kampfer

Hank
Gorgeous

Could be worse.

Trade Pionk, Howden, and 2 1sts for Karlsson. Solid RD, could play on the top pair. Seriously though, McKenzie continues to suggest the Rangers are going to look at Karlsson at the draft, so who knows.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

KZB

Klefbom - Shattenkirk
Gilmour - Smith
Kampfer

Hank
Gorgeous

Could be worse.

What made up put Lettieri on there? Thought you didn’t like his game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Now that the matchups are set, I can do my little project of completing a bracket based solely on the composite rankings of three different team analytics.

TEAMCF%xGF%KAVG
NSH9th14th3rd12th
COL27th28th13th23rd
WPG5th10th2nd6th
MIN29th1st6th12th
VGK12th16th7th12th
LAK16th23rd9th16th
ANA22nd22nd5th16th
SJS13th10th14th12th
TBL7th 6th 1st3rd
NJD21st 18th15th17th
BOS2nd3rd10th3rd
TOR17th13th4th11th
WSH24th25th16th18th
CBJ8th9th18th12th
PIT5th7th12th8th
PHI18th17th11th15th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So we take the "AVG" column and whoever scores higher wins the series. If tied, I went to decimal points.

Here's what the bracket looks like...

m5dKC62.png

Disclaimer: this is not MY prediction, I just want to see how this bracket does.

Quick takeaway: Washington and Colorado are f***ing awful hockey teams and if they win their first round series, I f***ing quit.

Possible limitation: Tampa vs Boston will be a nuclear war and the numbers can't take into account how tired the winner will be (and other misc things like injuries) but I wanted to stick to the numbers.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Just catching up on everything from Gorton's presser/interviews today.

Figured I'd ask: What is your folks' take on what Gorton said about analytics on the Michael Kay show?

For reference:
Where does analytics fit: "there is a place for it, we talk a lot about it, look at a lot of different things. Having been someone who scouted for a long time there is still something about an eye test and a feel that comes out but it is nice to look at and see another angle. It's not baseball where it' stoppage after every page. It's continuous, it's hard to listen to analytics 100% but we look at it and try to get every edge that we can."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just catching up on everything from Gorton's presser/interviews today.

Figured I'd ask: What is your folks' take on what Gorton said about analytics on the Michael Kay show?

For reference:

I think it's fair and about as good as we can expect.

If you don't give a politically correct answer on analytics, the media crucifies you, so even if Gorton were going full blown into analytics (not saying he is, of course) he'd still say "they have a place" and mention the eye-test.

I do think he's going to use them to an extent, however, and he didn't give a D-bag answer about "we have muh experience" or lie about having his own sophisticated package.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
What Gorton said was what is mostly said by most in the NHL world, so I personally don't take much from what he said. If he brings in a coach who involves themselves in analytics past a cursory glance will be a lot more telling to me than anything he says.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think Columbus is built to beat a team like Washington. This might be Trotz' last gasp in DC.
I haven't followed them too close this year, but everything I've heard about Columbus has been almost everyone isn't performing like they're expected to besides Panarin pretty much.

And I'm a little weary about Tortorella teams going into the playoffs because they always use up most of their fuel just getting into the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad