The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Again, Gorton has turned over a lot of the the scouting staff after the 2015 draft. Ronning and Day (from the 2016 draft) are likely to be in Hartford next year, and the earliest pick in 2016 was in the 3rd round. Aren't you someone who would rather the Rangers trade their picks anyway? Well, from 2013-6 they did exactly what you have advised.
I'm someone who would rather see the Rangers succeed than fail.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Failure begets failure.

Where is the evidence that our "rebuild" will be different? What has this FO done that sparks confidence that they are able to successfully identify talent?

Presumably you don't want a rebuild because you think the team had talent before. So doesn't that answer your question?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Failure begets failure.

Where is the evidence that our "rebuild" will be different? What has this FO done that sparks confidence that they are able to successfully identify talent?

Mediocrity begets mediocrity. What makes you think staying on the path they were prior to the trade deadline would lead to anything but being a playoff bubble stuck in limbo for years? Is that actually success?

As for identifying talent, both #1s from last year had successful D+1 years, and they've added at least three prospects in the trade deadline deals who's development curve is moving along nicely (Hajek, Howden and Lindgren, all of whom have spoken highly of by some of the more respected posters on this board when it comes to those matters.) So, yeah, there is some reason to have some confidence about their ability to identify talent.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So @silverfish and @Machinehead, can we be friends again? :D
giphy.gif

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I’m pretty sure I preface just about every post I make about rebuilding with, ‘there are no guarantees ‘. But, yeah, I do prefer the optimistic approach.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You guys are so optimistic that everything is going to break our way. I'm sorry that I don't share that. I wish I did. Truly.
I'm actually with you, although it seems like I've been one of the more optimistic people lately. I guess it's because I've followed the WHL this year and have seen Hajek and Howden frequently, and just knew AV was getting fired.

I'm still pissed about the Stepan trade and don't think we need to keep turning over the roster when there's a good core in place. I have a feeling the next coach won't be to my liking either, but I'll wait and see.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm actually with you, although it seems like I've been one of the more optimistic people lately. I guess it's because I've followed the WHL this year and have seen Hajek and Howden frequently, and just knew AV was getting fired.

I'm still pissed about the Stepan trade and don't think we need to keep turning over the roster when there's a good core in place. I have a feeling the next coach won't be to my liking either, but I'll wait and see.

Every coach in the world does stupid shit.

I'll settle for having a semblance of a system.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Arniel HC
Peters defense
MSL offense (lol)

Go baby go
I do wonder if they give Arniel a look, but I'm thinking they clean house except for Allaire. I'm preparing myself for the MSL coaching memes all offseason, but I'm just gonna let them go. Even Marty himself tweeted a video of him celebrating while coaching, and I'd want to see him as an assistant in the AHL before just handing him the reigns to an NHL position. The only current coaches I like that may be out of jobs are Peters and Mike Yeo.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Who would you hire if you had the power to make those decisions?
Seriously. Arniel. Keep the voice in the locker room somewhat consistent, and see if he can do with the Rangers what he did with CBJ. Low-event hockey. Imagine if we had Hank playing behind a 2.25 xGA60 team instead of a 2.85 xGA60 team?

Arniel and Williams are gone but Ruff isn't? Weird.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Seriously. Arniel. Keep the voice in the locker room somewhat consistent, and see if he can do with the Rangers what he did with CBJ. Low-event hockey. Imagine if we had Hank playing behind a 2.25 xGA60 team instead of a 2.85 xGA60 team?

Arniel and Williams are gone but Ruff isn't? Weird.
Lols haha

Thought you were joking. Fair enough though

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Lols haha

Thought you were joking. Fair enough though
I know I'm a broken record at this point, but CBJ's underlying numbers when Arniel was head coach were better than fine. He just couldn't buy a save. I think Arniel is going to make a decent to good head coach in the league one day who is probably capable of being carried the extra step by a roster that's good enough.

Anyway, moot point now. I actually wish him luck in his future endeavors and hope he gets far, far away from AV.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
@silverfish interesting.

I though Ulf would have been a solid HC candidate as well. Interested to see how he and Arniel do away from AV

Are you fully onboard with Keefe? Seems like he may be the number 1 guy based on what Gorton is saying he is looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad