The Advanced Stats Thread Episode IX

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's the only thing that's disappointing. He WAS supposed to be a guy that should be able to play sooner or later. But honestly, if Brian Boyle can improve his skating why can't Lias? Boyle became an elite 4th liner and even a good 3rd liner. Lias has way more offensive talent. Why can't he grow into a solid middle six guy? Maybe even a 2nd liner?
He very well could, and the good news for us is, I still think we got the best player taken after him anyway.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think I remember hearing that Colorado would trade down if Makar was taken before their pick, Dallas wanted both firsts, and Vancouver tried to trade back but then found out the Rangers loved Pettersson and kept the pick

How do teams find out what other teams want? Or were they willing to trade with the Rangers and the Rangers had to spill the beans?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Seems weird that they liked Pettersson at 1oA and also loved Andersson at 7. I guess they liked them for different things. Honestly, in that range, I think Mittelstadt was the one guy that we could have drafted instead of LA. Whatever, I'm still not giving up on him. People have extremely unfair expectations of a 19-year-old. He'll likely never be a superstar or anything but a good defensive middle 6 guy is still useful.
I’ve been thinking about how this organization has used the word ‘character’ a bunch when talking about targeting players, and I know it’s caused some hubbub around here, but in my mind (and maybe I’m doing mental gymnastics here) it’s more about players being totally committed and willing to do the hard work to improve their game and that side of it, more than being a rah rah leader type of character, and I could see them being not thrilled with Middlestadt’s poor combine and his lackluster USHL showing (i can’t remember what his PPG was, but I remember an alarming amount of his points were PP points) in his draft year. I think Middlestadt is getting Brayden Schenn’d right now, in the sense that he had a great WJC last year and was anointed ‘best drafted prospect in the world’ from it. If I’m picking at #7 with hindsight right this second I probably take Brannstrom or Liljegren, but it’s still super early.

I think Andersson can become a Kadri-type player, and if we’re following Kadri as an example, he played 44 AHL games (41 points) and 29 NHL games (12 points) in his age 20 season and played a good amount in the AHL over the next two seasons before being a full time NHLer.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
How do teams find out what other teams want? Or were they willing to trade with the Rangers and the Rangers had to spill the beans?
I honestly have no idea, they could’ve had scouts bump into each other or something, or since everyone in the hockey world seems to be friends, word could’ve just gotten around. On his podcast a few weeks ago, Friedman mentioned Vancouver wanted to trade down until the Rangers traded for #7, then he said he knew one team out there had Pettersson #1OA, and I think we’ve compiled enough bits of gossip to safely assume it was the Rangers

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve been thinking about how this organization has used the word ‘character’ a bunch when talking about targeting players, and I know it’s caused some hubbub around here, but in my mind (and maybe I’m doing mental gymnastics here) it’s more about players being totally committed and willing to do the hard work to improve their game and that side of it, more than being a rah rah leader type of character, and I could see them being not thrilled with Middlestadt’s poor combine and his lackluster USHL showing (i can’t remember what his PPG was, but I remember an alarming amount of his points were PP points) in his draft year. I think Middlestadt is getting Brayden Schenn’d right now, in the sense that he had a great WJC last year and was anointed ‘best drafted prospect in the world’ from it. If I’m picking at #7 with hindsight right this second I probably take Brannstrom or Liljegren, but it’s still super early.

I think Andersson can become a Kadri-type player, and if we’re following Kadri as an example, he played 44 AHL games (41 points) and 29 NHL games (12 points) in his age 20 season and played a good amount in the AHL over the next two seasons before being a full time NHLer.

I read part of a book (got bored halfway through, haha) about captains in sports and how that's the one constant in dynasties. It was a decent, albeit flawed argument. So maybe those character guys ARE important. The problem is that you still need elite players and character guys are undervalued and you can get them later in the draft.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I read part of a book (got bored halfway through, haha) about captains in sports and how that's the one constant in dynasties. It was a decent, albeit flawed argument. So maybe those character guys ARE important. The problem is that you still need elite players and character guys are undervalued and you can get them later in the draft.
I mean, I don’t think it’s the primary thing they’re looking for, I still they’re they’re looking for skilled players (and Lias does have some very good NHL skills and I don’t think he’s as low-ceiling as some have claimed) but it might be why the Rangers have targeted guys like Chytil, Miller, and Kravtsov and then have seen them all take huge steps in their D+1 seasons

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I mean every organization throws that term or an analogue of it around, rather extensively. It's a standard cliche and filler used when talking about the team and to the media. Like the 'we gotta get pucks deep' 'they're a good team over there', etc....I think the teams are always looking for the best players and it's pretty much that simple.

I actually think the Kadri comp is a good one.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

The imgur previews on this site are not great. I guess I'll also start including a broken link so it doesn't auto-generate a broken preview and you guys can copy+paste+fix as needed?

https://imgur .com/a/B8jCDxd

Last edited:

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
This thread has gone pretty quiet the last little while. I guess it's hard to debate anything when we all can see the Rangers stink.

Saw this on Twitter today. Not ideal, Neal.

Reactions: Turbosperg

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It's slowed down because everyone loves analytics now that they say what everyone wants them to say.

People were melting down when the underlying numbers showed alarm but we were winning (and trying to win). As soon as they showed poor numbers when we were winning but trying to tank, they were acceptable.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad