OT: The Accomplishments Of The Original Ottawa Senators

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Im not sure if anyone has done any research into this, but is there any reason the NHL cannot retoratively "award" the former Ottawa Senators team accomplishments to the current incarnation of the franchise? I know the current incarnation of the franchise is a expansion team, but if we could switch it to a "reactivation" team- there would be so much benefit.

The original Ottawa Senators were a powerhouse of hockey teams, and ended operations officially in 1935. No team is in current reciept of the original Ottawa Senators franchise, and it is a shame as there was so much history assositated with the original franchise. Essentially, the records and accomplishments of the franchise are not recognized in the current Ottawa Senators team.

Is there any way that the NHL can institute the accomplishments of the former Ottawa team, and pass along those accomplishments to the current version of the Senators? We are transitioning to the O logo as of the next year, and feel like it is a waste to lose the championship history. We had 11 Stanley Cups. If we could "recognize" those accomplishments, it will add a lot of history to the franchise. In terms of the old Canadiens/Leafs teams with the Cups, who may complain that it is not the current franchise, I would simply advocate recognizing the old championships- just like the old Championships of those teams are recognized.

It is not like the situation with the Jets/Stars old franchise, as the current franchises records are not being observed. There is nothing stopping the NHL from picking up the records and officially adding it on to the history of the franchise.

Having a team go from having zero Cups to 11 Cups would add a lot to the history, and celebrate the NHL's history as well- recognizing the former years.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
There is no connection between the current iteration and the previous iteration with the exception of the name and the city, so why?

Would you feel the same if the modern Sens were given a different name?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
There is no connection between the current iteration and the previous iteration with the exception of the name and the city, so why?

Honestly; yes.

Im from the generation that appreciates the consolidation of information; and it feels like a waste not recognizing one of the NHL greatest dynasties when no team is currently recognizng those accomplishments. I think a lot of the magic around old franchises is noticing the accomplishments. There are 11 Stanley Cups; and they could be used in building the legacy of the franchise.

And the connection to the old franchise doesn't irk me. The Championships happened in the past; so the history of the established past did not influence the future we establish for ourselves; if that makes sense

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Honestly; yes.

Im from the generation that appreciates the consolidation of information; and it feels like a waste not recognizing one of the NHL greatest dynasties when no team is currently recognizng those accomplishments. I think a lot of the magic around old franchises is noticing the accomplishments. There are 11 Stanley Cups; and they could be used in building the legacy of the franchise.

And the connection to the old franchise doesn't irk me. The Championships happened in the past; so the history of the established past did not influence the future we establish for ourselves; if that makes sense

Consolidation of information, what does that even mean in terms of two unrelated sports clubs?: They're recognized at the HHoF. They also have banners in Ottawa at the largest arena as recognition for their past successes.

There is no connection otherwise and I don't see why our iteration of Senators would claim the success of a different Club that moved to St. Louis in 1933.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Consolidation of information, what does that even mean in terms of two unrelated sports clubs?: They're recognized at the HHoF. They also have banned in Ottawa at the largest arena as recognition for their past successes.

There is no connection otherwise and I don't see why our iteration of Senators would claim the success of a different Club that moved to St. Louis in 1933.

It feels like history is being wasted; if that makes sense. If rather be able to make that organization as part of our goal. That is what I mean by consolidation of information.

I guess to your 2nd point; I guess it' just how you view things. Ie: picking up where the franchise left off vs no connection to the past franchise

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I think they should be recognized as different eras of the same team.

I really dislike how Arizona gets Winnipeg's history. Many Winnipeg fans can say that they were there when Selanne broke the rookie scoring record, or when the Jets beat the power house Flames in the playoffs. Those fans were a part of the experience, the Arizona fans were not. However in our case there has just been too much time that has based. It is the same city and identity though so I see it as some sort of middle ground, and therefore same team, but different eras.

Reactions: NyQuil

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I think they should be recognized as different eras of the same team.

I really dislike how Arizona gets Winnipeg's history. Many Winnipeg fans can say that they were there when Selanne broke the rookie scoring record, or when the Jets beat the power house Flames in the playoffs. Those fans were a part of the experience, the Arizona fans were not. However in our case there has just been too much time that has based. It is the same city and identity though so I see it as some sort of middle ground, and therefore same team, but different eras.

Arizona officially gets the history but realistically they don't. It's a variation of the NCAA stripping and vacating titles from certain programs. You're gonna tell me that the Bush push didn't happen? That the Fab Five wasn't a thing? Get out of here.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Arizona officially gets the history but realistically they don't. It's a variation of the NCAA stripping and vacating titles from certain programs. You're gonna tell me that the Bush push didn't happen? That the Fab Five wasn't a thing? Get out of here.
I have no idea what Bush push or Fab Five is. My view is that Arizona has adopted a history that they didn't experience and shouldn't be seen as theirs. I really don't care if some rich dudes bought the rights to that history and moved it.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I have no idea what Bush push or Fab Five is. My view is that Arizona has adopted a history that they didn't experience and shouldn't be seen as theirs. I really don't care if some rich dudes bought the rights to that history and moved it.
Sports world outside of the good old hockey bubble. Basically supporting the sentiment of your post.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Sports world outside of the good old hockey bubble. Basically supporting the sentiment of your post.

I don't watch basketball at all, and the only football I watch is the CFL (and despite my username I am not nearly as into it as hockey, I don't really have a favourite team and Saskatchewan has probably fallen on my list because the fan base reminds me of the Leaf's fan base :laugh:)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Im not sure if anyone has done any research into this, but is there any reason the NHL cannot retoratively "award" the former Ottawa Senators team accomplishments to the current incarnation of the franchise? I know the current incarnation of the franchise is a expansion team, but if we could switch it to a "reactivation" team- there would be so much benefit.

The original Ottawa Senators were a powerhouse of hockey teams, and ended operations officially in 1935. No team is in current reciept of the original Ottawa Senators franchise, and it is a shame as there was so much history assositated with the original franchise. Essentially, the records and accomplishments of the franchise are not recognized in the current Ottawa Senators team.

Is there any way that the NHL can institute the accomplishments of the former Ottawa team, and pass along those accomplishments to the current version of the Senators? We are transitioning to the O logo as of the next year, and feel like it is a waste to lose the championship history. We had 11 Stanley Cups. If we could "recognize" those accomplishments, it will add a lot of history to the franchise. In terms of the old Canadiens/Leafs teams with the Cups, who may complain that it is not the current franchise, I would simply advocate recognizing the old championships- just like the old Championships of those teams are recognized.

It is not like the situation with the Jets/Stars old franchise, as the current franchises records are not being observed. There is nothing stopping the NHL from picking up the records and officially adding it on to the history of the franchise.

Having a team go from having zero Cups to 11 Cups would add a lot to the history, and celebrate the NHL's history as well- recognizing the former years.

Zero facts to back it up but I believe our two close rivals have played a hand in the past of that specific Sens team and in turn city not being recognized, I get why it's not linked technically but believe it would be looked at differently if say it was Mtl or Tor in the same boat. Just my opinion.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

iu

Google Maps

Reactions: Back in Black

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Firestone had a dream: to “Bring Back the Senators”. With the help of the community and the “Bring Back the Senators Campaign”, he made that dream come true.

If the Nordiques were to return, I don’t see why their history would be erased. There’s no cut off line as in, over 25 years it doesn’t count anymore. Do most folks only go up to 50 years in their family tree?

They played in the NHL for 17 years and were part of the original six. History is history is history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Back in Black

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I only care about those old cups when Leaf fans get all high and mighty about us having zero. If their cups from the 60s still count, ours do too lol.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I only care about those old cups when Leaf fans get all high and mighty about us having zero. If their cups from the 60s still count, ours do too lol.
Only time I ever bring them up.....They love to rub it in our faces,but the sad reality is that it was a 4 team league back then,Chicago and NY sucked balls

Reactions: Smeddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad