The Absolutely Dire State of Hockey Coverage in Canada Right Now (And Sportsnet SUUUUCKS)

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
In this day of the internet, Blackouts...I don't care what anyone says, it is so archaic and completely frustrating to fans...dumb, dumb dumb.
It's probably not like this anymore, but a number of years ago, I was blacked out of Penguins games on NHL center ice (or whatever it was called back then) when I lived in f***ing Roanoke, Virginia. Apparently I lived too close to Pittsburgh (for those that are not geography buffs, there's an entire state in between these locations).

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
ITs terrible. That isn't even talking abou tthe apps that are attrocious.
I'm talking about the fact that you can no longer pick the feed that you want and don't get to choose the Home or Away feed. I am a devils fan and I want to listen to the intermission talk about my team and not the opposing team.
I want pre game and post game. Why is that not invlolved? It gets cut off all the time.
Why am I being punished by the NHL for not buying cable and not able to watch my team in my market. I'm not a Leaf fan. But when my team plays them, I can't watch it.
This is my last year purchasing it. When my team plays Toronto I stream it and just hook my computer up to my big screen and use a wireless mouse. Its free and I can choose any game I want and watch my teams feed. Its not that I don't want to pay for it. ITs that I am paying for terrible service and quality. I don't care how much a product costs. It isn't getting a penny from me if it doesn't provide the experience I expect.
I havn't been able to watch sportsnet on on one of my main level TVs as the app is messed up and even after hours on the phone they can't fix it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
In this day of the internet, Blackouts...I don't care what anyone says, it is so archaic and completely frustrating to fans...dumb, dumb dumb.
Ford Basketball, Baseball, or Football have blackouts ?

It use to kind of make sense when I was younger, the sens came would be blacked out on A-Channel, unless the game was sold out, then they would show it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
People are really complaining over highlights? Lol

He makes the owners a ton of money so the league can be financially healthy. I don’t see a problem with that

Media, they have the worst media among major professional sports and it's not close. everything from their highlight packages, to streaming services, social media etc.

The gripe is legitimate

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
yeah the Highlights are garbage its embarassing. I hope none of you are giving a single penny to sportsnet but I know you all are , they are scamming you . Stop it.
Oh how we would love a legit alternative, we would stop it in an instant.
It’s the app in general, but yes highlights are a (poorly executed) part of the app. Every periods opening faceoff highlight is riveting stuff indeed. Definitely better than hits/fight/controversial plays.

As an Avs fan, I am also not only stuck listening to my schmuck announcers when they show the Avs feed, but I also get the pleasure of watching in the “hi def” quality of 720p and all for the low low price of almost $300! God bless Sportsnet and their quality service.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I want to start with this:

And just in case they fix this, the NHL's carrier in Canada posted a video of the highlights between the Panthers and the Red Wings, an absolute must-win for the Red Wings, and an important game for seeding for the Panthers. And whatever unpaid intern or AI program managed to literally post the shootout highlights BEFORE the overtime highlights.

Where is the quality control? You would be fired from a car wash for doing your job this poorly. Imagine drying the car before you wash it.

But I want to use this thread also to talk about how pathetic the hockey highlights in Canada are currently.

Your options are:

1. Sportsnet or TSN highlights which are geared entirely towards bettors and will show like one goal per game for any games that don't feature Canadian teams.

2. The NHL's official highlights which are clearly created by an algorithmic program that simply hunts for shot highlights. They show zero penalties, fights, or hits (I suspect due to fear of lawsuits for profiting from concussions), and show nothing of the story of the game. If Ovechkin fought Crosby and then played air guitar while licking Tristan Jarry's mask, the OFFICIAL highlights would just randomly suddenly show the Penguins on the powerplay. They tell you nothing.

They don't high light career milestones, they don't highlight players who are having a good game. It's 10 minutes of soulless, algorithmic shots.

I'm a hockey junkie and so I watch them fairly regularly, and since I know almost every player in the league I can usually follow how the game went. But imagine trying to introduce a new fan to the sport?

3. Sportsnet's extended highlights which are a copy past of the NHL highlights but will sometimes randomly include a fight without including any context for what caused the fight or what it meant.

It makes it such a chore to follow the league.

I know they want to get their impressions and don't trust the attention span of fans so they post everything in 10 second clips if you want to see hits, fights, and narrative. but some of us like to follow the entire league and don't want to do it on TikTok one achingly stupid 20 second clip at a time.

20 years ago there was an NHL highlight show (and NHL on the fly during games) on the NHL network that would show you 4 or 5 minutes of highlights for every game and would carefully cultivate it so that it presented the story of the game. I used to look forward to it every night.

MLB highlights will carefully cut audio from both feeds and both radio feeds and edit things so that you know what's happening and why it's significant.

So we're now 20 years later and now the NHL has apparently decided that their highlights should be outsourced to an algorithm that scrapes highlight clips based on 'event' categories 'Find>'shot clip'>print. Seems to be the extent of the work.

It's like they actively don't want people to follow their sport.

You could hire like 30 people, maybe 15, who actually understand the game to watch the game and cut 10 minutes of highlights and the product would be so vastly superior it's incredible.

They could make their league so much more enticing by paying like 15 people 50k per year or less (if they were ethical it would be more, but we all know who we're dealing with). In a multibillion dollar league they choose to cut the dumbest of corners.

It's embarrassing.

I for one am excited for another season of seeing a 20 second highlight reel of the WCF followed by a 20 minute segment of “what will the Leafs do to win the Cup next season” after they’ve already been eliminated for 2 weeks

I get the need to cater to your main audience, but enough is enoughhhh

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I had to dump the TSN subscription because of how poor the service was. I live in Montreal and couldn't access Habs games at a certain point, they did nothing about it for weeks, app was constantly lagging, etc.

Just a terrible, terrible service and apparently Sportsnet isn't much better. I just stream illegally now. It's incredible how big companies like TSN can't even get a single app right. The incompetence is incredible and they can't even feign ignorance because all they have to do is make a quick Internet search to see them getting bashed left and right.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He makes the owners a ton of money so the league can be financially healthy. I don’t see a problem with that

Highlights are nice for those who are interested in following the league but don't have the time to spare 3 hours of their evening.

I used to be a "watch the game" guy but life has changed now and I'm becoming more and more of a "highlight" guy.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
It's terrible in Canada when you watch American feeds and the type of presentation they have in game

Canada presents hockey to us like we are all new fans

I see American broadcasts put up advance stats numbers, etc

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's terrible in Canada when you watch American feeds and the type of presentation they have in game

I thought tsn and cbc did a much better job with the presentation

Tsn's advantage was their staff. They had the best talent. Cbc had the nostalgia and homely feel to their presentation.

Roger's feels cold and corporate.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Having an oligopoly sucks cause there's zero need to innovate or compete. Instead you get the two companies scaling back on features or programs, and the consumer having f*** all in terms of alternatives.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017

The yotes just wanted to swing by and see where this financial health is that you speak of

• Haha
Reactions: Kevinsane

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
Networks found out that people don't watch highlight shows any more so they cut the budget for them. This made them worse so less people watched them. Since less people watch them, they spend less money. Highlight shows are dying since people watch clips from social media.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I cancelled sportsnet a couple years ago, started it again briefly earlier this season and recancelled it. Wasnt worth paying for

I work at a pub and its mind blowing how often we have evenings without access to any games

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Highlights these days are brutal. I feel like back at the start of the 2000s we got longer highlights and highlights for more games.

Now all our highlight shows are just Canadian teams followed by a few minutes of poor coverage for said Canadian teams.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don’t know what you’re talking about. The production value of the NFL is light years ahead of the NHL in quality.
i was talking about general league shittyness, not production value. Although the official NFL youtube channel also uploads crappy AI-mangled highlights sometimes too

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
NHL is not showing hits I don't get it? You really think it's a lawyer issue?

Sportsnet extenteded highlights have them on their site and yt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad