The AAA 2011 Draft

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Probably when the votes have been counted?

I will be sending voted to VI right away. In about 11 hours I can tally up the ones I havde received.

Should we consider having all-star rosters? We need not hold up the playoffs to do it. Seeing some playoff arguments may help us sort some of these players out, too.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
:rant: Look at the friggin' coaching in this draft! Bruce Boudreau has four NHL regular seasons to his career and a 2-4 disappointing playoff record, underperforming based on expectations all around.

Coach Bobrov has four years of excellence: 1967, 1972, 1973, 1974 in which he took an underdog Spartak team to the championship over the vaulted Tarasov-coached Red Army team, coached the Soviet national team to within a period of upsetting Canada in arguably the greatest series ever played to that date in hockey history, then went on to two world championships over a reputable Czechoslovakian national team that had just defeated them the year before.

This is exactly the draft for coach Bobrov if Boudreau is a "good pick" because the four-year playoff-challenged coach won a Jack Adams Award once.:shakehead PLUS, Davos has a quality longstanding coach as an assistant coach, whereas Boudreau plays on a AAA team with no assistant coach drafted, as does many other teams.

Talk about dubious competition, look at the early generation Czechoslovakian coach Buckna for the Mallards of this draft. A pre-Tarasov international coach? Of course, the AAA team wisely has an assistant coach in Glen Sonmor to compliment the strengths and cover the weaknesses. Davos has likewise.

Leo Dandurand for the Cougars in this draft may be a HHOF builder and great exec but he really only had four significant years behind the bench, leading the Habs to the cup once over those few years. He had two losing record seasons after that to his career as coach. That is ballpark to Bobrov in terms of career and peak accomplishments as a coach. And, the Cougars drafted no assistant coach.

Bobrov with King as assistant works just fine in this draft. Bobrov is by no means out of place compared to some other team picks made.

Two things.

1. It seems disingenuous to refer to Boudreau as a "four year coach", clearly in reference to his nhl career, when in the atd, all levels of experience add to one's achievements and legacy. After all, Bobrov, a zero year coach, would never be drafted, right? Boudreau was already highly respected in hockey before he even got an nhl job, thanks to his great work in the nhl.

By the way, I don't have the resources handy this moment, but I am interested for Zinger too: did Spartak beat cska all those years? Of was cska taken out by someone else along the way?

2. The point was not to question teams and their tandems in particular, but to critically analyse Bobrov and see if he stands up to some scrutiny. That you brought up whether some teams had assistants is not encouraging. Perhaps that means your tandem stands up to others, but that was not my concern. My only concern was that pick itself, that one coach. To answer "well, with an assistant he's fine" doesn't necessarily answer my concerns.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
When I'm picking my own team last, my final placement here is no surprise to me whatsoever. :laugh:

It'd take a miracle for me to advance, not too happy with my team this go-round.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
seventieslord , why don't you show us the complete ranking for the other division?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
other preliminaries matchup will be:

4) Garnish Pride vs 5) Montreal Jack of Diamonds

the votes in this division were extremely close and I won't be surprised any way this division ends up going.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Didn't a 4th seed win the last AA draft? With the expansion of the main draft, this AAA draft is basically at traditional AA level.

Considering nobody even did assassinations this time, I don't think anybody should be disheartened by his ranking.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If it's alright...

Thursday is Voting Day

That means the divisional semifinal round will begin Friday, in time for the weekend, and go a full week!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
REGULAR SEASON DIVISIONAL CHAMPS!

The winner of the Frederic McLaughlin Division regular season rankings is Velociraptor's St. John's Ice Caps :clap:
The winner of the Ambrose O'Brien Division regular season rankings is Bring Back Scuderi's Quad City Mallards :clap:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
for those wondering...

A sign-up thread for the 2011 Double-A Draft will be created after the end of the divisional final round of the AAA, and the AA draft itself won't start until after the AAA Finals.

If we can get FOUR (4) teams then the draft will be a go! :thumbu: In fact, with exactly four teams we might be able to squeeze in a quick two round challenger series, though the draft itself is what it's all about!

The anticipated start date is December 2nd. As per tradition, there would be two (2) picks per day for twelve days. That makes the estimated end date Dec 14th. As long as we can get the draft finished before the weekend before Christmas it's doable. There will be no playoffs per se, but a ranking perhaps.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Friday is scheduled as VOTING DAY for the divisional semi-final round.

Is that okay with everyone? Or is pushing it back to Monday better?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think these series have run their course. There is only so much you can say about a first round AAA series. I am cool with voting Friday.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's official then...

FRIDAY is Voting Day

Send Frederic McLaughlin divisional semi-final match-up winners to seventieslord

Send Ambrose O'Brien divisional semi-final match-up winners to Dave G

* Include the three stars of the series. *

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad