The AAA 2011 Draft

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Paul Stastny, C

70+ point seasons don't grow on trees at this stage of the draft, and he has 3 of them, all in a relatively low scoring era. Injuries were a factor in his only 2 seasons without 70+ points.
  • First Team All-Rookie in 2006-07
  • Played in the 2011 NHL All Star Game
  • VS2 points percentages: 72, 68, 67
  • 328 points in 357 career regular season games (as of today)
  • 3 points in 6 games and a Silver Medal at the 2010 Olympics
  • 8 points in 7 career World Championship games

Indeed they don't, which is why I'm selecting F Andy McDonald, who has two of them.

andy-mcdonald-pekka-rinne-2010-11-24-23-11-28.jpg

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dawson City completes its roster with two young stars of today, one a forward and other a d-man.

On left-wing, we are pleased to welcome the rugged Milan Lucic. A key cog in Boston's recent Stanley Cup triumph, Lucic has a bright future as a power forward, having hit the 30-goal mark for the first time last season. We welcome his hard-hitting, two-way game to the Nuggets.

We also welcome towering defenseman Tyler Myers - all 6'8" of him! While he showed a barely noticeable drop in production during his sophomore year (which many could have predicted), Myers has all the makings of a top-pairing, franchise blueliner for the Sabres.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We also welcome towering defenseman Tyler Myers - all 6'8" of him! While he showed a barely noticeable drop in production during his sophomore year (which many could have predicted), Myers has all the makings of a top-pairing, franchise blueliner for the Sabres.
A two-year career.:shakehead Even Crosby wasn't a minor draft selection until his third season!

Myers gets injured today and the day after tomorrow he'll be forgotten. There are HUGELY better TWO-year careers undrafted. And for good reason.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I didn't even think about Stastny, but I was definitely going to select either Jim Conacher or Andy McDonald first in the AA :cry:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
A two-year career.:shakehead Even Crosby wasn't a minor draft selection until his third season!

Myers gets injured today and the day after tomorrow he'll be forgotten. There are HUGELY better TWO-year careers undrafted. And for good reason.

I disagree.

I think Myers will be around for a while, because I do believe the Sabres' brass has pinned the "franchise" tag on him, much the same as I have. He's proven enough during his young career to be a AAA selection.

But that's just the opinion of a rookie AAA GM. ;)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I disagree.

I think Myers will be around for a while, because I do believe the Sabres' brass has pinned the "franchise" tag on him, much the same as I have. He's proven enough during his young career to be a AAA selection.

There are quite a few defensemen left who received a bit of Norris or All-Star consideration in a single season and who played slightly longer than Myers before succumbing to injury. Most have never been drafted as far as I can tell.

I think Lucic is a much better pick - he's a legit 4th liner here and will likely be a MLD 4th liner in a year or two. ATD 4th line in his future 10 years from now? Maybe.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
By the time the playoffs rolled around, rookie Getzlaf had become the #1 center of the team, I think.
As someone who cheers for Anaheim and Montreal and watched every game of that playoff run and most of the Ducks season (thank god for center ice)..no, McDonald was the #1 center throughout the playoffs as well. It was:

Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry

That second line was excellent in the playoffs, but the other line was still the first line.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
As someone who cheers for Anaheim and Montreal and watched every game of that playoff run and most of the Ducks season (thank god for center ice)..no, McDonald was the #1 center throughout the playoffs as well. It was:

Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry

That second line was excellent in the playoffs, but the other line was still the first line.

I know those were the lines, but I thought in the playoffs the Getzlaf line was basically the number 1 line. I didn't watch every Duck playoff game, but I watched most of them in the final 3 rounds.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
All due respect to Modo but I have to disagree with the Myers pick. He had a stellar rookie season but has regressed ever since. I can think of a few other defenseman that I would have rather picked today than Tyler Myers.

As to the Statsny pick; Good one by TDMM, Statsny was someone I was going to pick in the AA draft as my #1 centre.

Will be posting my roster for assasination tonight, good luck to all GM's in this.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I know those were the lines, but I thought in the playoffs the Getzlaf line was basically the number 1 line. I didn't watch every Duck playoff game, but I watched most of them in the final 3 rounds.
Nope, but it was an effective line that started the hype train for most Ducks fans.

The McDonald line was inconsistent, but nevertheless proved to be very effective in that run, and was deemed the first line. I'll look up some TOI stats to see if my memory is correct.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Interestingly enough..Getzlaf played more than any other forward but I don't remember him switching lines..the other two played less than anyone on McDonald's line.

Perhaps it was because Getzlaf played PP and PK?

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Interestingly enough..Getzlaf played more than any other forward but I don't remember him switching lines..the other two played less than anyone on McDonald's line.

Perhaps it was because Getzlaf played PP and PK?

ES TOI went in this order in the playoffs:

McDonald : 14:47
Selanne: 14:24
Travis Moen
Rob Niedermayer
Chris Kunitz: 13:38
Ryan Getzlaf: 13:38
Corey Perry: 13:00
Penner: 10:09

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
We will finish our draft by taking RW: Alexander Martynyuk

m012.gif

* USSR Gold (1967, 1969, 1976)
* WC Gold (1971, 1973)
* He, along with Yakushev and Shadrin were named Best Line (1973)
* Soviet league 3rd team all-star (1973)
* Top-4 in Russian League Scoring (1970, 1971, 1973)
* 212 Goals in 410 League Games
* International Record: 20 Games, 16 Goals, 8 Assists, 24 Points

Chidlovski said:
Alexander Martyniuk played in the famous Moscow Spartak line with Yakushev and Shadrin. Due to his accurate shooting and skating skills, he managed to become one of the top scoring Soviet forwards. On April 8, 1973, Martyniuk authored of the Team USSR record when he scored 8 goals in a World Championship game against team Germany. Martyniuk was one of the key players during several Spartak's championships from the late 1960's to mid 1970's.

Seventieslord said:
Martynyuk was a very skilled offensive winger who placed in the top-4 in Russian League scoring three times at a time when making the leaderboard was not an easy task: 3rd in 1970, 4th in 1971, and 2nd in 1973. Only Maltsev, Kharlamov, Petrov, and Mikhailov topped him during these seasons. He finished with 212 goals in 410 league games. Strangely, Martynyuk only played 20 significant international games for the USSR, and I’m assuming it’s because his all-around game wasn’t great. But he had 16 goals and 24 points in the games he got into – in the 1973 WCs, only the Petrov line had more goals or points than him. He was a Soviet league 3rd team all-star in 1973. If you want an offense-only RW, at this point Martynyuk is your man.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
According to my calculations, we should be at 1,606 players/coaches profiled once all AAA picks have been made. At the end of last year's AAA Draft, we were at 1,344. We didn't reach that number last year until partway through the A Draft or possibly even the Beer League Draft. I'm not sure because I'm not going to figure out who was profiled in the undrafteds thing and was also selected by seventies. I'm going to have to call it quits for this year until the ATD once the AAA Draft is over though. Best of luck to those that persevere to the even lower drafts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I disagree.

The bold nailed it.

There's no projection in these drafts. Right now his career is two seasons long. It almost doesn't matter how good those two seasons were. They were pretty good; Myers was clearly a legit #1 right from the start. But there are many others available with two seasons as a legit #1 defenseman and a whole career to back it up.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
about the right handed left handed thing , Phillipe Boucher and Pastrice Brisebois are left handed ands right handed respectively and were known for being PP trigger men , I think my PP is going to be very dangerous with both of them shooting from the center of the ice.
Actually, both are righties.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
HC Davos selects as its last extra skater the possibly all-time great US HOF Forward/Defenseman Joe Linder

LinderJoe1904PL_IHL.jpg

Joe Linder was described by contemporaries and those who have made a study of the game as the “first great American-born hockey player.†A powerful raw-boned, virtually irresistible skater, playmaker, and team leader, Linder was involved in the American hockey scene as an amateur and professional player from 1904-1920.

In 1904, as a high school senior, he was selected to play on the Portage Lake Michigan hockey teams in league and championship play. Following a brief stay in the professional ranks, Linder returned to amateur hockey from 1905-11, playing in the Copper Country in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

He later took a team into the new American Amateur Hockey Association playing out of Duluth from 1912-20. The Linder-captained team reached its greatest heights on March 7, 1914, when they defeated the famous Victoria’s of Winnipeg for what proved to be the first victory of an American team over the Canadian champs. In the game write-up a sports reporter said, “Capt. Joe Linder played like a veritable demon. On offense and defense Linder stood out as one of the greatest men I have ever seen on ice.â€

A few years before his death he was honored in the February, 1941 issue of Esquire when, in a review of the American and Canadian hockey scene, it was stated that “any list of the 30 best hockey players the whole world has had, would have to include the American-born Linder.
http://www.usahockey.com/ushhof/default.aspx?NAV=AF_01&id=242870&DetailedNews=yes

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
montreal drops kyle mclaren and add tom webster
A fantastic move... but you have just nabbed the star right winger planned for my Double-A Draft first line!:cry:

... right winger Tom Webster, the 30-goal scoring, 67-point scoring leader of the Detroit Red Wings as a 22 year old in 1970-71 who jumped to the more lucrative WHA and in his first year there scored 53 goals and 103 points, 2nd best in the league, on the 2nd all-star team, and followed that with another top-5 goal season, notching 43 and then 40 the 3rd year, ending up with six consecutive 30+ goal seasons as a pro. He recorded 425 points in 352 WHA games and remarkably scored 15 goals in his last 20 career games in Hartford before injury ended it all.

c30331ee-a11e-446a-abd2-f6882f65b552.jpg

His was a superstar's path. He led the OHA in regular season scoring in 1968 then won the Memorial Cup that postseason, then in 1969 led the CHL in playoff scoring and won the cup there, then in 1970-71 led his NHL team in scoring as a rookie, then was 2nd in WHA regular season goals and led the team in playoff scoring with 26 points 15 playoff games and captured the WHA championship in 1973. Only injuries slowed down what was a hall of fame trajectory career. He did play in four WHA all-star games (1973, 1974, 1975, 1976) and remains Hartford's WHA career leader in goals scored.

Here is a 74 Summit Series vs. the Soviets goal by Webster which shows why he's nicknamed "Hawkeye":
:youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTdJNuQ_ms (at 50 seconds into it)

And here are two goals of his which demonstrate mad skills:
:youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfBou5YlwJU&feature=related

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'll use him as a spare though , don't think he can beat Murphy or Fox for top-6 minutes.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
TENTATIVE PLANNED SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

ADD/DROP PERIOD ENDS MONDAY.
ASSASSINATIONS (if you guys wanna do any) END FRIDAY.
VOTING FOR REGULAR SEASON RANKING SATURDAY.
PLAYOFFS BEGIN NO LATER THAN MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7th.

Sounds good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad