The 24th Best Player In NHL History

Who's the 24th best player in NHL history?

• Total voters

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Best Players in NHL history (according to previous poll results):

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Bobby Orr
4. Gordie Howe
5. Jaromir Jagr
6. Sidney Crosby
7. Dominik Hasek
8. Alexander Ovechkin
9. Jean Beliveau
10. Bobby Hull
11. Maurice Richard
12. Nicklas Lidstrom
13. Patrick Roy
14. Ray Bourque
15. Doug Harvey
16. Mark Messier
17. Phil Esposito
18. Guy Lafleur
19. Martin Brodeur
20. Joe Sakic
21. Steve Yzerman
22. Evgeni Malkin
23. Peter Forsberg

To be added:

Bill Cook
Dickie Moore
Bill Durnan
Bernie Geoffrion

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Considering the last five players voted in were Forsberg, Malkin, Yzerman, Sakic and Brodeur (all current or recent players), I just want to know if voters in general don't know too much about older players that have been options or think that older players are generally inferior to more recent ones. If you think older players don't measure up, don't be shy to state that. This project is partially to compare the perception of hockey history of main board users to that of people who are really into hockey history.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Voted Dionne.. a 1300+ games player that is 5th all time points per game (1.314) and 6th in points (1771) should be included to the list at this point.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Considering the last five players voted in were Forsberg, Malkin, Yzerman, Sakic and Brodeur (all current or recent players), I just want to know if voters in general don't know too much about older players that have been options or think that older players are generally inferior to more recent ones. If you think older players don't measure up, don't be shy to state that. This project is partially to compare the perception of hockey history of main board users to that of people who are really into hockey history.

Which is super interesting. I do think that the HoH board would move Crosby and Ovi higher now than they had them in their last poll.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
How are Mikita, Sawchuck and Morenz still on the poll? Some serious recency bias
its difficult to compare. i think this has been hashed out from many angles. i feel the HOH board has a nostalgia bias, and a Canadian one, too. but that could be my bias.
in terms of greatness, standing out from peers, someone like Morenz is obviously ahead of anyone now, really. But, some people dont think his peers are up to todays standard.
Hopefully they go soon, as they are all three obviously great.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
we would have to sit down over several beers on this topic. I really like these polls, and i like it as another perspective to the HOH guys. On the one hand, those guys discuss things in great detail. On the other, they use potentially hyperbolic quotes to gauge guys from before good video. thirdly, we are all biased to some degree, even if its just in what games we were privy to, no matter if we are intellectuals who care to break things down in novels or not.

Flobber

May 9, 2017
The overrating of Forsberg on this site in general is comical. It's truly bizarre. Can't believe he went before Mikita, Sawchuk, Shore, Potvin, Trottier, on and on.

In general the recency bias on this one is pretty entertaining. Ovechkin at #8 and Bossy's not even on the list yet? Ovechkin's amazing for sure, but is he any better than Bossy, let alone 16 spots better? Debatable. 10 spots better than Lafleur? I dunno.

Voted Sawchuk for this one. Fun poll - interesting to compare to HOH board results, NHL top 100, Hockey news top 100 from 20 years ago, etc.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The overrating of Forsberg on this site in general is comical. It's truly bizarre. Can't believe he went before Mikita, Sawchuk, Shore, Potvin, Trottier, on and on.

In general the recency bias on this one is pretty entertaining. Ovechkin at #8 and Bossy's not even on the list yet? Ovechkin's amazing for sure, but is he any better than Bossy, let alone 16 spots better? Debatable. 10 spots better than Lafleur? I dunno.

Voted Sawchuk for this one. Fun poll - interesting to compare to HOH board results, NHL top 100, Hockey news top 100 from 20 years ago, etc.

Nah... Ovechkin is definitely better than Bossy. Of all the possible voting problems, the fact that he is ranked higher than Bossy doesn't bother me. He has three Harts; Bossy has none. He's a better goal scorer and goal scoring is Bossy's main claim to fame. The only thing Bossy really has on him is Stanley Cups. I'm not convinced Bossy is better than Potvin, Shore, Mikita, Clarke or Morenz.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Bossy, then Trottier (probably the best 2-way center of all time, I think he deserves a spot in the top 25), then Mikita for me. But there's lots of good choices and room for subjectivity in terms of what aspects of a certain player's skill you value more than others.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
It's Morenz until further notice for me. I guess that if this were "election coverage," the race would be called for Bossy here. All right... there are worse choices---

Mikita, for instance.

Hot take: there are at least ten names left on the ballot who are STILL better choices than Mikita.

Reactions: Sentinel

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
In order
1. Peter Mahovlic
2. Felix Potvin
3. Derek Plante
4. Yanic Perreault
5. Gilbert Dionne
6. Ryan Malone
7. Sean Pronger
8. Brett Lindros
9. Shawn Lalonde
10. Other

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Bossy: 12 votes
Trottier: 0
Potvin: 1

Christ this is a cluster****

+1 - Bossy was almost universally considered 3rd in that group when he was playing. I guess it’s just looking at stats 40 years later with no perception of context.

Regardless should be Shore. He has more Harts than any other defensmen including Orr. Only Gretzky and Howe have more. Morenz and Mikita are also acceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad