Tarnation
Team USA -

1702758133612.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

1. Macklin Celebrini, C, 2024 NHL Draft Eligible (Canada)
Celebrini is the clearcut top prospect in this year’s event. On a Canadian team that lacks its usual star power and is in pursuit of its first threepeat since 2009, he might also be the player to watch. Canada’s probably going to need him to be not just a good player but a star.

5. Konsta Helenius, C, 2024 NHL Draft Eligible (Finland)
This is a weaker Finnish group than usual and it’s going to rely on the talent and roundedness of Helenius, even as an underager — and likely even as a top-six centre.

6. Jiri Kulich, LW, Buffalo (Czechia)
Kulich’s pro experience (and success) should make this level a clear step down for him. We know his one-timer is going to fall on the power play. But he’s going to need to be a force at five-on-five if the Czechs — who aren’t as strong on paper as when the team won silver a year ago — are to medal again. He should be up to the task.

12. Adam Jiricek, RHD, 2024 NHL Draft Eligible (Czechia)
Jiricek projects as a top-four defenseman for Czechia who can play on both special teams. He’s a tall, mobile right-shot defenseman who can move pucks well and can make a lot of stops, although his offensive touch isn’t high end.

13. Matthew Savoie, RW, Buffalo (Canada)
A top prospect in the 2004 age group since he was a little kid, this is actually Savoie’s first international event at either the U18 or U20 level. Canada is going to need him to be a top forward as a 19-year-old and his combination of speed, skill and work ethic should make that happen.

15. Zeev Buium, LHD, 2024 NHL Draft Eligible (USA)
Buium is in the midst of one of the best freshmen seasons ever by a draft-eligible defenseman. He is super smart and creative with the puck and projects to be able to make plays at the world junior level. Buium is a strong skater but the defensive parts of his game aren’t as refined as his offense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice goal by Savoie but man I've said here before that Lane Hutson has always looked like the best player on the ice in every game I've seen him in person and he just keeps proving it. I hate that the Canadiens have him.

Yeah, he's freaking amazing at moving the puck - his game reminds me of watching QHughes at Michigan so much. (QHughes was my favorite in his draft year because I didn't think Buffalo would ever wind up in a position to draft Dahlin... anyway.)

It's odd that Savoie is on PP2.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Start times mean I’ll have to miss almost everything live. But I’ll still catch what I can live and watch them in DVR when I get home.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Through 2 periods Strbak has looked great. He's been very composed and is the horse that the Slovaks are leaning on from the backline. Kulich has looked ok, he had a clear chance that he missed on, and tried forcing a bit too much on the PP

Strbak's shot almost went through Hrabel. He played 9:11 in the second period alone. What a horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad