The 2024 U20 World Junior Championship - Dec 26 – Fri, Jan 5 - Göteborg, Sweden

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I look at this USA team and wonder where these gritty prospects are in our system. For an org that has USA hockey bonafides, the Sabres org is surprisingly euro and canadian when it comes to their prospect pool, and not much grit.

Punches won't buy you gold Sweden. USA! USA! USA!
Sweden has a history of being sore losers. Remember when Dahlin got suspended from international play for a year?

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I look at this USA team and wonder where these gritty prospects are in our system. For an org that has USA hockey bonafides, the Sabres org is surprisingly euro and canadian when it comes to their prospect pool, and not much grit.

Sweden has a history of being sore losers. Remember when Dahlin got suspended from international play for a year?
I wanted to see Wahlberg go rip future Flyer idiot Gauthier's head off for that crosscheck on Ostlund. Crossed loyalties. Anton is a bad boy, he's going to bully this tournament next year. But other than him you're right re: a smaller/passive Canadian/Euro prospect pool.

Real happy the Americans took the gold. It's nice to see the good guys win once in a while.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
20240105_162520.jpg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Kinda sad that this stuff gets promoted nowadays for clicks.

I get it, emotions are high, you're about to win the gold but man it seems like kids aren't being taught "win with class" or "act like you've been there before".

I know, I sound like a boomer but idk this type of stuff rubs me the wrong way.

There's a lot of history and bad blood between these two teams that all naturally came to a head in such a big moment. This game was payback for a lot of these US kids for the loss to Sweden in the U18 two years ago.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
There's a lot of history and bad blood between these two teams that all naturally came to a head in such a big moment. This game was payback for a lot of these US kids for the loss to Sweden in the U18 two years ago.
Oh I'm sure there is.

Also, my take wasn't intended to be a direct shot at that kid or team USA. It was towards the next generation of all athletes

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I get it, emotions are high, you're about to win the gold but man it seems like kids aren't being taught "win with class" or "act like you've been there before".

Somewhere around age 8 or 9, I learned and decided to be a fierce competitor that would compete and win with class and graciousness. I had good examples to follow in my pastor, coaches, and father, showing me how to act in ways that easily crossed over into sports. I still think there is plenty of that around, but it never gets attention when clicks matter more.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Somewhere around age 8 or 9, I learned and decided to be a fierce competitor that would compete and win with class and graciousness. I had good examples to follow in my pastor, coaches, and father, showing me how to act in ways that easily crossed over into sports. I still think there is plenty of that around, but it never gets attention when clicks matter more.
Bingo!

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

I get the take here. but, im good with it!

A little flair is fine. It's not a TD celly when you're down 18 points in the 4th Q. They are kids, and, winning a gold medal and blowing is kiss is A OK in my book. GO USA!

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I get the take here. but, im good with it!

A little flair is fine. It's not a TD celly when you're down 18 points in the 4th Q. They are kids, and, winning a gold medal and blowing is kiss is A OK in my book. GO USA!
People forget a lot of these players play each other at the U-18s as well. A little attitude never hurt anyone!

lecherous

Apr 11, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.voteforrory.com
Ostlund named player of the game for Sweden. He was great, double minor notwithstanding.

I wasn't super impressed with him last year, but he was incredible for Vaxjo a couple months ago in the Champions League so I had a lot of hope and he definitely delivered. Vaxjo might also be the best squad in the SHL, so him playing a big role there at 19 suggests the future is pretty bright.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad