Player Discussion The 2023 U20 World Junior Championship - Dec 26th-Jan. 5th

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What happened?
the game winning rush began because he lost the puck on a zone entry. He was emotional at the mistake on the ice.

he’ll be fine. It was an emotional tournament for the team who fought their ass off and if the goalie interference was called differently there’s a two goal swing sitting there in this game

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
the game winning rush began because he lost the puck on a zone entry. He was emotional at the mistake on the ice.

he’ll be fine. It was an emotional tournament for the team who fought their ass off and if the goalie interference was called differently there’s a two goal swing sitting there in this game
Ty

That's too bad for him. Ice looked terrible in the games I saw. He had a great tournament.

Hope he has a short memory, and is able to do what he needs to do going forward to make it to the big club.

Wish him the best

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Pasted the Kulich writeup in his thread.

DISAPPOINTMENTS

Sweden’s forwards outside of Bystedt and Carlsson

Sweden had a young team, with a lot of big roles handed to 2004-born players in a 2003 age group tournament. That said, given how many high picks they had up front, the lack of offense they showed was highly concerning. Fabian Lysell (Boston), Isak Rosen (Buffalo), Noah Ostlund (Buffalo), Liam Ohgren (Minnesota) and Jonathan Lekkerimaki (Vancouver) all are first-round picks who disappointed to various degrees. Lekkerimaki played his way onto the bench in the medal round, Ostlund was fine at even strength but was taken off the power play prior to the bronze medal game. Lysell recorded a zero-point tournament. Ohgren had two points, although I liked his compete. Rosen was fine but certainly not impactful.

A commenter noted Ostlund was coming off an injury and hadn't played in three weeks and he got player of the game in the Bronze Medal game.

I also thought Rosén was dangerous in the one semi-final game but Pronman is Pronman.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree. Ostlund and Rosen and most of the others were fine, not stand outs.

Lekkerimaki was definitely disappointing.

And it's just one tournament. Part of Rosen's issue was being paired for some time with the center of puck energy death that was Lysell's U20's. Ostlund and Ohgren generated chances as the tournament wore on, breaking through in the QF and Bronze game. Again, I'd be more worried if the chances weren't there than if they were and didn't go in. Part of the Swedes inability to generate offense started with their blueline being unable to complete simple partner-to-partner passes in their own zone, or unforced outlets to a moving forward. They struggled to get out of their own zone and up the ice.

Also, the Djurgarden trio are all 18-year olds in a tournament dominated normally by 19-year olds. They all have eligibility next year.

Also, it's not like a single tournament is indicative of future success or failure. Quinn in a checking role (and probably nursing a hernia) was scrutinized for his lack of production by some who may put an over-emphasis on the U20's. He seems to have figured things out well enough as an example of not indicting a prospect's play based on just this.

Would it have been fun if Rosen and Ostlund had made bigger impacts? Sure. They were both good but not great on a stage that so often is about who rose to be exceptional over a short tournament.

Reactions: Zman5778

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
And it's just one tournament. Part of Rosen's issue was being paired for some time with the center of puck energy death that was Lysell's U20's. Ostlund and Ohgren generated chances as the tournament wore on, breaking through in the QF and Bronze game. Again, I'd be more worried if the chances weren't there than if they were and didn't go in. Part of the Swedes inability to generate offense started with their blueline being unable to complete simple partner-to-partner passes in their own zone, or unforced outlets to a moving forward. They struggled to get out of their own zone and up the ice.

Also, the Djurgarden trio are all 18-year olds in a tournament dominated normally by 19-year olds. They all have eligibility next year.

Also, it's not like a single tournament is indicative of future success or failure. Quinn in a checking role (and probably nursing a hernia) was scrutinized for his lack of production by some who may put an over-emphasis on the U20's. He seems to have figured things out well enough as an example of not indicting a prospect's play based on just this.

Would it have been fun if Rosen and Ostlund had made bigger impacts? Sure. They were both good but not great on a stage that so often is about who rose to be exceptional over a short tournament.
Yeah, I mean, I'm the guy who isn't worried about Kulich for one puck bounce.

If 1 tournament indicated success, Mittelstadt would be Sebastian Aho already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad