GDT: The 2023 NHL Trade Deadline Thread | March 3rd | 3:00 pm ET

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Spend a fortune on Jeannot when they could've had McCabe@50%+Lafferty for half the price, and they both had term as well. There's no way anyone in the organization can seriously think this dcorp, and the depth being Fleury and Raddysh when made of porcelain Cernak or Bogo goes down, is anything close to good enough for a deep run. Just pathetic if they didn't get anyone.
You speak as though you were you in the room with JBB when the discussions were going and, if so, by all means, prattle on. If not, well, you know. Is it disappointing that we couldn't secure some D help? Of course it is, but none of us have a clue if the deal you suggest was even possible for us to make given what we had to offer and what Chicago was looking for. Give JBB some credit, he knows where the needs are and I have no doubt that he tried his level best to fill them but we didn't have a lot to work with so he did the best he could with what he had. It's up to Coop and the players now.

Reactions: PJ817

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ended up getting called out and missed most of the festivities. Looks like I'm better off for it.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You speak as though you were you in the room with JBB when the discussions were going and, if so, by all means, prattle on. If not, well, you know. Is it disappointing that we couldn't secure some D help? Of course it is, but none of us have a clue if the deal you suggest was even possible for us to make given what we had to offer and what Chicago was looking for. Give JBB some credit, he knows where the needs are and I have no doubt that he tried his level best to fill them but we didn't have a lot to work with so he did the best he could with what he had. It's up to Coop and the players now.

Tampa had the exact same kind of assets to acquire them. '25 1st, '26 2nd, meh roster player and a C grade prospect for McCabe@50%, Lafferty, a 4th and a 5th. I'll state my opinions on what I like as well, thanks! It's clear JBB and his staff had zeroed in on Jeannot based on his rookie year and other metrics, fine. Doesn't change my opinion that McCabe and Lafferty(both with term and relatively low cap hits through next year and the year after for McCabe) provided good value and better cap certainty, especially as McCabe would've been soljd at 3LD when Cole almost certainly leaves. Tampa had been heavily scouting Chicago as well. Maybe Chicago liked the roster waiver fodder and meh prospect from Toronro more, sure, but Tampa didn't lack the assets to get that deal done.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Well... now that's its over, maybe the herd won't be spooked anymore. They can now dig deep down, pick up their jockstraps, and start summoning that "swagger" and get their head's outta their asses and get this thing going!

Otherwise, they can save themselves the trouble and get a head start on tee times at TPC. I posted last night that April 27th @ TPC is wide open!

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Tampa had the exact same kind of assets to acquire them. '25 1st, '26 2nd, meh roster player and a C grade prospect for McCabe@50%, Lafferty, a 4th and a 5th. I'll state my opinions on what I like as well, thanks! It's clear JBB and his staff had zeroed in on Jeannot based on his rookie year and other metrics, fine. Doesn't change my opinion that McCabe and Lafferty(both with term and relatively low cap hits through next year and the year after for McCabe) provided good value and better cap certainty, especially as McCabe would've been soljd at 3LD when Cole almost certainly leaves. Tampa had been heavily scouting Chicago as well. Maybe Chicago liked the roster waiver fodder and meh prospect from Toronro more, sure, but Tampa didn't lack the assets to get that deal done.
I don't disagree about what the targets should have been, I object to anyone who wasn't there stating as though they know what went on in negotiations and what was possible when they don't have the first f**king clue.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't disagree about what the targets should have been, I object to anyone who wasn't there stating as though they know what went on in negotiations and what was possible when they don't have the first f**king clue.
Everyone needs to give the Jeannot deal some time. If JBB hasn't earned that from you at this point then I dont know what to tell you.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Everyone needs to give the Jeannot deal some time. If JBB hasn't earned that from you at this point then I dont know what to tell you.
Absolutely, though I agree with the poster that I was responding to that defense should have been the first priority. My guess is that it probably was but a suitable deal just couldn't get done and as you say, JBB has earned more than just the benefit of the doubt at this point.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa had the same caliber of assets to acquire those players. It is possible that Chicago had some particular preference for whatever no names Toronto included over Foote/Fleury/Myers+whatever AHL player Tampa might've offered, sure. I highly doubt that if JBB had wanted to get those two though, that they wouldn't be wearing a Lightning sweater right now. I believe they could've had those two without much of a problem, and instead made a poor decision on Jeannot. Things can change if Jeannot gets back to the player he was last season, but for now, I believe there were better value targets they could have and should have acquired.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Disappointing. Consolation is that only one of these juggernauts in the east will make it to the end. Hope it's us but that's doubtful. Our defense is a liability this year. Especially since 5Mnak is made of paper.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Cernak has missed two playoff games out of 75 with a +/- of +13. In that time span he's also blocked over 500 shots. 376 RS & 124 PS.
For sure, but he's been dealing with injuries frequently even during those last two runs. I like him and I think we all like him here, but his health makes it concerning if he gets hurt before playoffs again. We are so thin defensively we cannot afford one injury to any of our top 6 and that's not comforting when Cernak and Bogo are part of the 6 dmen we have.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Most times I fully agree with his reasoning and with what he says, not this time though

Reactions: PJ817

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad