GDT: The 2023 NHL Trade Deadline Thread | March 3rd | 3:00 pm ET

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's not profound at all and I don't think too many people, including JBB, have come to the bolded conclusion. Despite any public statements of confidence, which is part of his job whether he believes what he is saying or not, JBB knows that we're on the back side of the bell curve you mention. He believes that we're still near the top of it, but we're definitely on the back side and TJ trade or not, we were still going to be on the backside with no path back to the other side any time soon. In short, this is not a team that is building toward something, it is a team that is trying to hold on to what it is and has been for as long as it can. So what JBB did was make a choice that he thinks can help the team win now and it really didn't matter if he overpaid or not because the future is already set and future is the backside of the bell curve. You said so yourself.

As for your assertions about JBB's ability to get defensive help and how apparently easy that would have been, you don't have the first clue either as to what opportunities were available to the TB Lightning, not to other teams, and a what price.

I am clearly talking about how the Lightning have needs to win now greater than bottom 6 winger and you somehow are interpreting that as me arguing that we should tank and start rebuilding. Stop

JBB literally said that he wasn’t interested in pursuing other deals, so yeah we do have the first clue on what opportunities he was interested in.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Jeannot wasn't on Nashville trading block: you want him, you make Nashville an offer they can't refuse

Everyone understands that, but it also means that Jeannot has to play up to the value given up for him. You give up that much value there is pressure for him to make an impact

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
How much difference would a depth d-man have made anyways? Unless you're getting a McDonagh type work horse eating 23minutes a night or a Rutta who knows how to play in the system perfectly, adding another 5-7 Dman that needs time to adjust isn't going to do anything. The Savard trade was a big waste of assets, the guy stunk for 95% of his time here and got outplayed by Schenn.

The personnel is not that bad, they just need to clamp up systematically.

So he'll be useless all playoffs and be ready for next regular season?

I think a situational guy would have been a big help, I am glad the rumor was we were looking at Klingberg. Our entire right side are defensive first guys and they are beat to hell.

You could give Klingberg a lot of ozone minutes and reduce the load, if nothing else it’s insurance if someone goes down in the playoffs. We also have shown to effectively use bad defense good offense defenders before with Shattenkirk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad