Movies: The 2023 Academy Award and the winner is GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
What a depressing era for movies. Just crap on top of crap.
It's weird because although i agree that the blockbusters of this generation have been dominated by either 1) MCU movies that are good 10% of the time or 2) Remakes/Sequels that also aren't good. Streaming has opened up a weird middle class that didn't exist in the same way a decade or two ago.

Noah Baumbach (with the exception of White Noise) has been churning out good flicks every few years, Robert Eggers and Ari Aster are probably further along now than they would have been in different eras. Guys like Jim Cummings have cultivated a big cult audience when he probably wouldn't have been given the time of day before.

Like how many years in the 80s or the 90s could have competed with 2019, which was absolutely stellar for movies?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It's weird because although i agree that the blockbusters of this generation have been dominated by either 1) MCU movies that are good 10% of the time or 2) Remakes/Sequels that also aren't good. Streaming has opened up a weird middle class that didn't exist in the same way a decade or two ago.

Noah Baumbach (with the exception of White Noise) has been churning out good flicks every few years, Robert Eggers and Ari Aster are probably further along now than they would have been in different eras. Guys like Jim Cummings have cultivated a big cult audience when he probably wouldn't have been given the time of day before.

Like how many years in the 80s or the 90s could have competed with 2019, which was absolutely stellar for movies?

Mainstream Hollywood has been terrible for about two decades now. With every passing year, the Oscars just get worse and worse.

The whole thing is a house of cards barely propped up by the decaying bodies of Spielberg and Scorsese. Occasionally Eastwood.

But in terms of indies and low budget projects, it gets debatable. I've personally never cared for Baumbach, Eggers, Aster, etc. But I won't insult anyone that likes them.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Stupid, stupid move by the Academy. Like, if you are not in The Club, you have no business being nominated. This is now a lose-lose situation for everyone.
Is this different than the Academy's upcoming requirements for Best Picture nominees? If your film doesn't satisfy the new checklist, you have no business being nominated.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Is this different than the Academy's upcoming requirements for Best Picture nominees? If your film doesn't satisfy the new checklist, you have no business being nominated.
What's the new checklist?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Almost literally every movie satisfies them somehow because it’s impossible not to unless you’re deliberately trying not to. I asked my BIL about this when he worked in the industry and that was the answer I got.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Almost literally every movie satisfies them somehow because it’s impossible not to unless you’re deliberately trying not to. I asked my BIL about this when he worked in the industry and that was the answer I got.
Yeah B and C you can’t make a movie without doing that. D is kind of the same thing. It’s very hard to do a production where you aren’t meeting those ‘standards’
It doesn't sound like they're necessary, then. If they do factor, it'll be to deny an excellent entry a deserved nomination on grounds that have nothing to do with its quality, kind of like this Riseborough situation, it seems to me.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Academy sounds tough on A and B, but C and D not so much. Only two criteria need to be met, so the requirements seem pretty toothless. So I guess I don't see much common ground here with the latest controversy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It doesn't sound like they're necessary, then. If they do factor, it'll be to deny an excellent entry a deserved nomination on grounds that have nothing to do with its quality, kind of like this Riseborough situation, it seems to me.
Yeah, they just wanted to make it sound like they did something. I would say that almost every English language movie made in the last 30 years fulfilled the B standard. A whole lot of them filled the C standard.

Also it says this only applies to Best Picture nominees. So they made 'standards' out of things that were already the case.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With the Oscars coming up in less than a week some betting houses have Everything Everywhere All at Once listed as a 1/20 favourite. Blew my mind, such as it is. That must make EEAaO the most prohibitive favourite to win an Oscar in the Best Picture category in Academy Award history. Who would have guessed that would happen three months ago?

It seems to have coattails, too. Michelle Yeoh is now a razor thin favourite to win best actress over Cate Blanchett. Blanchett may still win, but she was considered a lock three months ago.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
With the Oscars coming up in less than a week some betting houses have Everything Everywhere All at Once listed as a 1/20 favourite. Blew my mind, such as it is. That must make EEAaO the most prohibitive favourite to win an Oscar in the Best Picture category in Academy Award history. Who would have guessed that would happen three months ago?

It seems to have coattails, too. Michelle Yeoh is now a razor thin favourite to win best actress over Cate Blanchett. Blanchett may still win, but she was considered a lock three months ago.

Yeah. Kinda wild. My biggest reaction coming out of the movie when I saw it last spring was "Wow Yeoh is Oscar worthy but there is NO WAY she'd get nominated for a movie like this." What a difference 9-10 months make.

Reactions: kihei

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So movies will no longer be judged whether or not they are good but whether or not they check all the boxes?
Two of those criteria are hardly challenging and all a movie needs is to check two of the four boxes. So not really that big a deal..

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So movies will no longer be judged whether or not they are good but whether or not they check all the boxes?
No, they'll be judged on both. They'll have to check enough boxes to be eligible to be nominated; then, they'll be judged on whether they're good.
Two of those criteria are hardly challenging and all a movie needs is to check two of the four boxes. So not really that big a deal..
Perhaps, but if movies don't need to do anything different to satisfy those criteria, why are they necessary?

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To check all boxes many historical movies will need to play with actual history to check all the boxes.

I will use the great escape as an example. Pretty good movie (yes it played with history... there were no Americans in the camp). Besides there being no Americans in the camp, there were no women, no minorities and most none Christians were sent to the camp up the street to another camp.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
To check all boxes many historical movies will need to play with actual history to check all the boxes.

I will use the great escape as an example. Pretty good movie (yes it played with history... there were no Americans in the camp). Besides there being no Americans in the camp, there were no women, no minorities and most none Christians were sent to the camp up the street to another camp.
Again, as clearly stipulated in the Academy's statement, starting next year a film will have to meet TWo of the Four standards.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's my picks for the categories that I care about:

Best Movie

Will win: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Should win: The Banshees of Inisherin

Best International Movie

Will win: All Quiet on the Western Front
Should win: The Quiet Girl

Best Director

Will win: the Daniels, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Should win: the Daniels, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Actor

Will win: Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Should win: Paul Mescal, Aftersun

Best Actress

Will win: Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Should win: Cate Blanchett, TAR

Supporting Actress

Will win: Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (best chance of an upset: Jamie Lee Curtis)
Should win: Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin

Supporting Actor

Will win: Ke Hoy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Should win: Ke Hoy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Cinematography

Will win: All Quiet on the Western Front
Should win: Bardo, a False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad