• Finals voting ends 5 p.m. PT - Tuesday, March 7, 2023
  • 95th Oscars - Sunday, March 12, 2023

What time the announcements are

• 1:30pm GMT (UK)
  • 8:30 am ET (East Coast US)
  • 5:30 am PT (West Coast US)
  • 2:30pm CET (Central Europe)
  • 7pm IST (India)

in lead up to the nominations--what movies/actors do you see getting the nods this year?

And the nominee are

BEST PICTURE
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

BEST ACTOR
Austin Butler, Elvis
Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Paul Mescal, Aftersun
Bill Nighy, Living

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, Tár
Ana de Armas, Blonde
Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie
Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
Judd Hirsch, The Fabelmans
Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Hong Chau, The Whale
Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST DIRECTING
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
Todd Field, Tár
Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Living
Women Talking

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Fabelmans
Tár
Triangle of Sadness

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
The Sea Beast
Turning Red

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
Elvis
Empire of Light
Tár

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Babylon
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Elvis
Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
All That Breathes
All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
Fire of Love
A House Made of Splinters
Navalny

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
The Elephant Whisperers
Haulout
How Do You Measure a Year?
The Martha Mitchell Effect
Stranger at the Gate

BEST FILM EDITING
Elvis
Tár

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM
Argentina, 1985
Close
EO
The Quiet Girl

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
The Batman
Elvis
The Whale

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Babylon
The Fabelmans

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Applause,” Tell It Like a Woman
“Hold My Hand,” Top Gun: Maverick
“Lift Me Up,” Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
“Naatu Naatu,” RRR
“This Is a Life,” Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Babylon
Elvis
The Fabelmans

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse
The Flying Sailor
Ice Merchants
My Year of Dicks
An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM
An Irish Goodbye
Ivalu
Le Pupille
Night Ride
The Red Suitcase

BEST SOUND
The Batman
Elvis

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Batman

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Best Actor is between Brendan Fraser (The Whale), Colin Farrell (Banshees of Inshirin) and Austin Butler (Elvis) all who have genuine chance to win. I lean towards Fraser right now. I expect Tom Cruise to get snubbed for nomination due to decades of baggage.

Best Actress is likely 3rd Oscar for Cate Blanchett in Tar unless Everything Everywhere All At Once dominates and Michelle Yeoh wins.

Best Supporting Actor is over, Ke Huy Quan in Everything Everywhere At Once will win.

Best Supporting Actress is probably Angela Bassett in Black Panther 2 with some chance for one of the Everything Everywhere girls (Stephanie Hsu or Jamie Lee Curtis) or Kerry Condon in Banshees, I always expected Condon to lose because I think if you're a random white girl weak winner in this category, they're just going to look around a little bit harder until they find a minority, it's the easiest category to bank some virtue signal points and then pick who they want to in one like Actress.

Best Picture can go a number of ways. The Fabelmans would have won if it came out in 2010 but it feels like one of the whitest movies ever made, so this could catch up to in it this climate, I still wouldn't rule it out but my pick right now is Everything Everywhere All At Once. A few years ago Parasite beat the whiter 1917, I could see the same arc happening where Fabelmans wins some guilds coming up but by the end Everything Everywhere gets screen actors guild ensemble and then best picture. Otoh I thought the Golden Globes were going to do the same thing but at the end they just went Spielberg/Fabelmans. Banshees is the other one considered to have a chance, personally I didn't like the movie so I would be disappointed if it wins. As for Best Director I don't see a reason why it wouldn't go to the BP winner of Everything Everywhere/Fabelmans/Banshees.

Last edited:

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
I agree with all that. After The Fabelmans got snubbed at the BAFTAS I don't see it winning Best Picture.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I agree with all that. After The Fabelmans got snubbed at the Baftas I don't see it winning Best Picture.

Here is the thing about the Baftas and the snub---about 90% of the people who are able to vote for what movies get the nominations did not see the movie. The Baftas are a screwey system. People who did see it? were the ones who nominated it for screen play.

Also, in the UK Spielberg is somewhat out of style here and the movie is being viewed by some as the ultimate vanity project

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Best Picture can go a number of ways. The Fabelmans would have won if it came out in 2010 but it feels like one of the whitest movies ever made, so this could catch up to in it this climate, I still wouldn't rule it out but my pick right now is Everything Everywhere All At Once. A few years ago Parasite beat the whiter 1917, I could see the same arc happening where Fabelmans wins some guilds coming up but by the end Everything Everywhere gets screen actors guild ensemble and then best picture. Otoh I thought the Golden Globes were going to do the same thing but at the end they just went Spielberg/Fabelmans. Banshees is the other one considered to have a chance, personally I didn't like the movie so I would be disappointed if it wins. As for Best Director I don't see a reason why it wouldn't go to the BP winner of Everything Everywhere/Fabelmans/Banshees.
Parasite won because it was a much better movie than 1917.

Reactions: reckoning and Jussi

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Parasite won because it was a much better movie than 1917.

I agree but they bought the schtick at the time and came close to giving it to 1917 as it won a lot of stuff like producers guild, directors guild and golden globe drama, it was the frontrunner until last few weeks. I think a little extra bonus of people virtue signalling by preferring first asian best picture winner helped push it over the edge, this was an example virtue signal helping the better movie, but it has also led to some questionable picks other years, I think Power of the Dog is better than CODA and La La Land is better than Moonlight.

• Haha
Reactions: Pink Mist
Sep 19, 2008

Best Supporting Actor

Angela Bassett (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever)

Hong Chau (The Whale)

Kerry Condon (The Banshees of Inisherin)

Jamie Lee Curtis (Everything Everywhere All at Once)

Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All at Once)

Sep 19, 2008
All Quiet on the Western Front is getting a lot of nominations. As is Black Panther and Top Gun.

actor in leading role

Austin Butler - Elvis
Colin Farrell - Insherin
Brendan Fraser - Whale
Paul Mescal
Bill Nigh

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site

Best Supporting Actor

Angela Bassett (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever)

Hong Chau (The Whale)

Kerry Condon (The Banshees of Inisherin)

Jamie Lee Curtis (Everything Everywhere All at Once)

Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
I have not seen any of these but I have always liked Angela Basset who I thought should have played Storm over Halle berry so I am rooting for her. Will probably watch these movies eventually except Banshees which I know nothing about

Reactions: Elvis P
Sep 19, 2008
10 nominees for best picture

All quiet on the western front
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Fabelmans
Tar
Top Gun : Maverick
Triangle Of Sadness
Women Talking

Sep 19, 2008

Burning was pretty decent although I was surprised by the amount of female nudity. I was under the impression that nudity was not allowed in South Korea.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I know it's obnoxious to cite oneself, but I'm flagging this point I made in my Fablemans review back in November. I know Quan's won everything so far BUT ....

If I have one curmudgeonly complaint it's the Judd Hirsch character. He breezes in for a big scene and gives the sort of IMPORTANT THEMATIC SPEECH that award voters die for (particularly when given by a liked elder statesman actor). It's a fine speech and scene but I'm preemptively bummed that he's going to wind up winning supporting actor awards over the likes of Paul Dano (from this very movie) or Ke Huy Quan (in Everything Everywhere All at Once) who do excellent work with much heavier stuff in their supporting roles.

Reactions: Pink Mist and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If I had my way, Paul Mescal should be nominated for Aftersun, the best performance that I saw this year. I wish the movie got nominated for best picture and direction, too, but it was an ultra-long shot in all categories.

Edit: Wrote this before I noticed the nominees were already listed. Great news.

Also, absolutely love that The Quiet Girl got nominated in the International Film category.

Don't love the Decision to Leave snub.

Don't love all the love for All Quiet on the Western Front or Triangle of Love.

Just about everything else panned out the way most Hollywood insiders predicted

Lock of the week among the nominees: Cate Blanchett in Tarr (well, wait a minute, grasshopper....if Everything rolls over the field, Michelle Yeoh might sneak in there)

Last edited:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
God damn, minorities can't accomplish anything without being accused of benefiting from "virtue signaling" or "wokeness" or some other buzzwords.
"I want them to pick the best person for the job!"

"No not like that!"

RRR was absolutely robbed. Avatar? Blech. It's the first movie but with kids this time and the last act makes NO SENSE AT ALL.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not gonna lie, I was lowkey hoping Adam Sandler was gonna sneak in a nom this year. But it likely would've been at the expense of Mescal apparently, so, not worth it anyway.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Wait the Knives out sequel is up for Best Adapted Screenplay but I thought it, like the first, were original and not based on a book/tv show/etc.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Wait the Knives out sequel is up for Best Adapted Screenplay but I thought it, like the first, were original and not based on a book/tv show/etc.
Academy has a stupid rule that sequels are considered adaptations. Happened with the Before movies as well.

Elvis, meanwhile, wasn't nominated for screenplay, but oddly enough, was considered original in the Academy's eyes because it wasn't specifically based on pre-existing material (you know, other than a person's actual life).

:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad