Dec 12, 2020
My list.

1. Women Talking
2. Everything Everywhere all at once
3. Banshees of Inisherin
4. All Quiet on the Western Front
5. Triangle of Sadness
6. Elvis

The rest I didn't see. Elvis was pretty awful and Triangle was meh. Other than that they were good movies.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I know the usual comments patting themselves on the back, blah blah blah and I generally agree but watching a clip online of his acceptance speech, Short Run's win was a genuine feel good moment.

Congrats to Ke Huy Quan!!!! I hope this leads to future success and more and better roles for him.

Goonies Never Say Die!!! Way to go Data!!!!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
A film called Women Talking......

.....ya know there's gonna be a few sequels :D
I know you are making a joke but the content of the book/movie is really not joking stuff

Women Talking (2018) is the seventh novel by Canadian writer Miriam Toews. Toews describes her novel as "an imagined response to real events" that took place on the Manitoba Colony, a remote and isolated Mennonite community in Bolivia:[1] Between 2005 and 2009, over a hundred girls and women in the colony woke up to discover that they had been raped in their sleep. These nighttime attacks were denied or dismissed by colony elders until finally it was revealed that a group of men from the colony were spraying an animal anaesthetic into their victims' houses to render them unconscious.[2] Toews' novel centers on the secret meetings of eight Mennonite women who, on behalf of the other women in the colony, must decide how to react to these traumatic events. They have only 48 hours before the colony men, who are away to post bail for the rapists, return.

The novel was a finalist for the Governor General's Award[3] and the Trillium Book Award,[4] and was longlisted for International Dublin Literary Award.[5]

In 2022, the novel was adapted into a a film of the same name, written and directed by Sarah Polley and starring Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, and Frances McDormand.[6]

Reactions: DaaaaB's

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I know you are making a joke but the content of the book/movie is really not joking stuff

Women Talking (2018) is the seventh novel by Canadian writer Miriam Toews. Toews describes her novel as "an imagined response to real events" that took place on the Manitoba Colony, a remote and isolated Mennonite community in Bolivia:[1] Between 2005 and 2009, over a hundred girls and women in the colony woke up to discover that they had been raped in their sleep. These nighttime attacks were denied or dismissed by colony elders until finally it was revealed that a group of men from the colony were spraying an animal anaesthetic into their victims' houses to render them unconscious.[2] Toews' novel centers on the secret meetings of eight Mennonite women who, on behalf of the other women in the colony, must decide how to react to these traumatic events. They have only 48 hours before the colony men, who are away to post bail for the rapists, return.

The novel was a finalist for the Governor General's Award[3] and the Trillium Book Award,[4] and was longlisted for International Dublin Literary Award.[5]

In 2022, the novel was adapted into a a film of the same name, written and directed by Sarah Polley and starring Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, and Frances McDormand.[6]

Ya I know about the film and it's content, sad and dark for sure. I was actually very happy to see her win, it's nice to see someone from Canada who actually earned her success and reputation through the Canadian film industry rather than those who move to LA straight out of high school as well.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ya I know about the film and it's content, sad and dark for sure. I was actually very happy to see her win, it's nice to see someone from Canada who actually earned her success and reputation through the Canadian film industry rather than those who move to LA straight out of high school as well.
Same an original Canadian who still lives in Toronto, as far as I know, and works on Canadian content most often.

Reactions: End on a Hinote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad