Pre-Game Talk: The 2023-2024 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What bugs me is not even giving Merela a chance to play some time on a line with top9 guys. He'd thrive
There are lots of combinations they haven't tried, but it's a pretty long season.

I think the priority is getting everyone's timing and chemistry back with the guys they know they'll play with.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
ABB has looked pretty darn good to me so far. Merela will get his opportunities eventually so it just comes down to whether or not he gives the coaching staff no choice in the matter. Not the end of the world if you send him down to start, that way you don't have to lose a player.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
ABB has.way more offensive potential so obviously he should be in the top9 and on the PP.

Merela creates solo chances off his speed not like he's shown any actual chemistry with anyone. This just screams Koekpe all over again when ya'll were hyped up on him from last preseason and he did jack shit.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
ABB has.way more offensive potential so obviously he should be in the top9 and on the PP.

Merela creates solo chances off his speed not like he's shown any actual chemistry with anyone. This just screams Koekpe all over again when ya'll were hyped up on him from last preseason and he did jack shit.
merelä had one shift with stamkos and he scored. every other second he has played with grinders and ahl players.

koepke last year was more like ABB with cooper forcing him onto the roster without him really showing much

idk i hope ABB works out but i just wish we actually had guys fighting for roster spots instead of everything being decided before preseason even starts

Reactions: JFleegs and Zwui21

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
ABB has looked pretty darn good to me so far. Merela will get his opportunities eventually so it just comes down to whether or not he gives the coaching staff no choice in the matter. Not the end of the world if you send him down to start, that way you don't have to lose a player.
Pre-season is not everything. ABB has a pretty good season in the AHL to show for while Merela is still “unknown” despite a handful of strong showings during pre-season. He’ll get his chance. They signed him for a reason.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
merelä had one shift with stamkos and he scored. every other second he has played with grinders and ahl players.

koepke last year was more like ABB with cooper forcing him onto the roster without him really showing much

idk i hope ABB works out but i just wish we actually had guys fighting for roster spots instead of everything being decided before preseason even starts

I mean that's typically the case...it's not like Merela has shown more than ABB either, they have the same amount of points. I'd rather take a shot on ABB now who've we've invested 4 years in and know if we have anything there, Merela can wait for next year, it's his first season in North America not a big deal if he has to wait a year.

If we're going by performance than neither Sheary or Motte should deserve a spot.

Reactions: Tampa22 and ccman68

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
I mean that's typically the case...it's not like Merela has shown more than ABB either, they have the same amount of points. I'd rather take a shot on ABB now who've we've invested 4 years in and know if we have anything there, Merela can wait for next year, it's his first season in North America not a big deal if he has to wait a year.

If we're going by performance than neither Sheary or Motte should deserve a spot.
I guess the bonus of Merelä going down to Syracuse is that his next contract should be affordable too…

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
We’ll be lucky if ABB isn’t keeping the press box seat warm by 10 games. Sure give him the benefit of the doubt but we’ve seen this all before. Merela at least is built for the nhl and can use his size and creates offensive chances every time he’s on the ice.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
We’ll be lucky if ABB isn’t keeping the press box seat warm by 10 games. Sure give him the benefit of the doubt but we’ve seen this all before. Merela at least is built for the nhl and can use his size and creates offensive chances every time he’s on the ice.
I mean, ABBs AHL season definitely deserves more time. Merela’s preseason is a small sample size. This board/website always overvalues prospects and picks, and merela is no different since ABB is a “known commodity”. But he’s the safer pick for the organization right now, and it’s no slight to merela.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That's if he decides to re-sign. He's a RFA and not having a roster spot might make him go back to Finland.
I don't know if he'll start the season with us, but he looks like a NHL player. If not now, he'll be up here at some point. I feel confident of that after everything we've seen of him. There's a future for him here.

He's smart, he's usually good positionaly, he makes good decisions, he uses his body well on the boards, he played a lot of pk this preseason, he can skate and keep up with the league, ect. He's got a lot more going for him than Ryfors who was able to put up numbers in the AHL, but probably wasn't as well rounded in other areas.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad