May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Notable Others:
Bryce McConnell-Barker
Filip Bystedt
Aleksanteri Kaskimaki
Luca DelBelBelluz
Rieger Lorenz
LDBB is gonna be a winger I think. But I also think that about Zhilkin and McGroarty. I’m really NOT sold on BMB. I need more viewings but I need to see more out of him when I see more of him.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
As for centers, there are a bunch of intriguing ones in the range or our later two 1sts and our five early 2nds.

From Bob’s poll:

17-Kasper
20-Gaucher
26-McGroarty (probably W)
27-Hughes
30-Sapovaliv
31-Zhilkin (probably W)
32-Ingram
39-Beck
40-Kulich

I know that I don't want Gaucher...reminds me too much of Ryan MacInnis...and Zhilkin should drop to the 3rd round, and I haven't invested enough time to watch Beck? Any comps anyone wants to provide?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
I know that I don't want Gaucher...reminds me too much of Ryan MacInnis...and Zhilkin should drop to the 3rd round, and I haven't invested enough time to watch Beck? Any comps anyone wants to provide?
Oh I like Beck. Sturdy kid, works hard, good shot. A little more boring than LDBB and doesn’t have quite the frame.

I like that Zhilkin shoots the puck a ton. I don’t like much more about him.

Gaucher is the highest rated QMJHL player in the draft for me. I’ve got him 15th overall. One of the safest/highest floor kids in the 1st round, I think. Huge fan of his game. Very strong, very direct, forceful approach. Hard to stop. Makes smart, simple decisions and is tough.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Rieger Lorenz
I hope we grab this guy. Players that stand out in weaker leagues are always drafted later than needed.
Blake Biondi, Scott Morrow and Corson Ceulemans are similar stories. Given the chance I would've picked them earlier and they're now validating it with their play in NCAA.
Liam Steele could be thrown in this bucket too but his path is way more obscure. I really want him to be a Coyote pick.

rt

May 13, 2004
Watching some NTDP tonight. I love Gauthier. I’m not backing off my top ten ranking. A couple of things; Cole Spicer is super underrated and I don’t understand why Ryan Chesley doesn’t have more points.

Spicer was buried last season. He’s a June birthday, he was recovering from surgery, had a long exposure quarantine and then a long actual covid quarantine after than. He’s been playing a shut-down, pk, defensive center role this year and he’s flourishing. But like Gauthier, he really benefited from more time when Cooley was in Alberta. I think he’s got really underrated skill. I could see him really popping off at UND next season. He’s a hometown boy and I think he’s going to step up to the challenge each time he gets more responsibilities and more minutes. I like Spicer a lot. If he’s still there when we pick early in the 3rd, that’s the kid I want.

Chesley is always all over the ice. Fantastic skater. Great defender. Good passer. Very, very physical player. Loves the nasty stuff. Reminds me of Keith Ballard a lot. Despite having fantastic mobility and living to jump into the play, he just doesn’t get rewarded with points. Watching him, you’d honestly assume he’s top 2 in scoring by D on the team. He’s just not. He seems to have the tools and the instincts. If teams are scared off by the lack
of production, I’d be absolutely thrilled to gamble on him with our second 1st rounder. I don’t think he’ll drop that far but he could. He’s not productive enough to be seen as an offensive defenseman. And despite how physical he is and how good defensively he is, he’s too small to be considered a big, physical, shut-down D. That lack of definition in his identity could scare off some teams and he might land in our laps at the end of the 1st.

Ingram for Youngstown is a lanky kid with a bunch of skill. Hes always listed as a C but he’s played winger whenever I’ve seen him. Like the raw skill. Great hands. Like the frame. He’s probably 6’2 or 6’3 and like 175lbs. But he LOOKS like he’s young for his draft year, when in fact he’s old for his draft year. Not sure if he had a growth spurt or is a late bloomer. But he looks pretty awkward and clumsy out there. The McKenzie poll had him as a 1sr rounder. I’d be a little scared of him that early. Maybe with our last 2nd. But I wouldn’t go there in the first, I don’t think.

Reactions: Prestigeworldwide

rt

May 13, 2004
Also, I like Nazar and McGroarty a lot. I don’t think much of Howard. I really don’t know what to make of Snuggerud. The tiny blue liners in Casey and Hutson are hard for me to peg, too. They’re gonna be great college players. Not sure about Pros. Leddy is a big nasty defenseman that can skate. Would be a nice pick up after the 2nd.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Also, I like Nazar and McGroarty a lot. I don’t think much of Howard. I really don’t know what to make of Snuggerud. The tiny blue liners in Casey and Hutson are hard for me to peg, too. They’re gonna be great college players. Not sure about Pros. Leddy is a big nasty defenseman that can skate. Would be a nice pick up after the 2nd.
I’m okay with an all USNTP first 2 rounds.

rt

May 13, 2004
Was he playing C or LW in the action you watched yesterday?
RW against Dubuque and C against Madison. When the player the all-American game, he was 1C, facing off against Cooley as the other 1C. I see center the whole way. David Backes (modern version where he doesn’t fight and skates way better- haha)

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wright really looking like the prospect people were sure would be the 1OA last year. Taking over games again and racking up points.
Its almost like only playing 12 games last year delayed some development.

seriously there is a chemistry issue with Kingston because the whole is not as good as the parts just yet. Wright hasn’t played to potential at times. Especially early on.

every year we get these “races” that aren’t really races when 9/10 acouts still have him at 1 and the guy ranked 2nd only got 4/10 votes for 2nd! Nobody is passing Wright for 1ov.

Reactions: Mosby and Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
Simon Nemec reminds me so much of Adam Fox in just about every possible way. Both the pros and the cons. Like Fox, he’s got the muffin shot. He’s got the average size and limited physicality. Like Fox he struggles against established forechecks and sucks against the cycle. Like Fox he’s super smart positionally, has a great stick, and is a fantastic rush defender.

He’s also got the insane wheels, and puck rushing ability. He’s got the eye-popping footwork, and stick handling. He does all of those wild shimmy shakes and head fakes. Loves breaking ankles like Fox and making something out of nothing. He’s got that that jaw-dropping talent. I don’t think he’s got that PPQB ability Fox does, though. Nemec has a long way to go on producing offense outside of rush scenarios before he’s anything like Fox.

Parts of his game remind me a lot of Gonchar, too. Minus the wicked shot, and surprising physicality (at times).

He reminds me a little of a bigger Rasmus Sandin, too. But less likely to use his body to defend than Sandin is.

I really think “Poor Man’s Adam Fox” is the perfect comp for this player. I usually struggle with comps and there are a million qualifiers I have to throw in. But when it comes to Nemec, I think Fox is really the clear-as-day comp. if absolutely everything goes completely perfectly in his development, he could get pretty close to being a Fox-clone, I think.

Excited to check him out at the Olympics and at the WJC make-up tournament (hopefully).

rt

May 13, 2004
Adding Servac Petrovsky to Cole Spicer as a kid I think is underrated and hope “falls” to our 3rd rounder. Love Petrovsky’s motor, two-way ability, and I thinks he’s got a little more often ice upside than others seem to. Could be a nice two-way center prospect. It’s his very first season in North America and Owen Sound has the 3rd worst offense in the OHL. I think he looked right at home playing with and against superior talent as a 17 year old at the WJCs. Kid doesn’t turn 18 until Aug 10th and is one of the younger kids In the draft. Like 9 months younger than Nathan Gaucher, as an example, who’s in his 3rd season in the CHL already.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Glad to see Wright flipping the bird to his doubters. He’s going first and he’s going to be a 1C for the next 15 years.

rt

May 13, 2004
Glad to see Wright flipping the bird to his doubters. He’s going first and he’s going to be a 1C for the next 15 years.
We NEED to get back into 32nd place.

32nd:
1st:
25.7%
2nd:
18.7%
3rd:
55.6%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
31st:
1st: 12.1%2nd: 13.6%3rd: 32.2%4th: 42.2%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Good news is the teams above us have a nice buffer now. Starting to look like a two horse race again.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I still cant believe to a team went from the Stanley cup finals one year to being bottom of the league the next. Thats impressive.

Reactions: 0point1

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We NEED to get back into 32nd place.

32nd:
1st:
25.7%
2nd:
18.7%
3rd:
55.6%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
31st:
1st: 12.1%2nd: 13.6%3rd: 32.2%4th: 42.2%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Haha. Didn't you say the opposite less than a week ago?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
RW against Dubuque and C against Madison. When the player the all-American game, he was 1C, facing off against Cooley as the other 1C. I see center the whole way. David Backes (modern version where he doesn’t fight and skates way better- haha)
YES! That's who I see! I couldn't figure it out but that's it! You nailed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad