NFL: The 2021 NFL Season: News, Notes, and Other Stupid Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The better question is, was Olin being offered less than, more than or the same money someone else applying for the job would be paid?

Just because you are an NFL player doesn't mean you should make more money than someone who hasn't played in the NFL.
The role is consultant not a full time coach. I recall the BB documentary regarding his time in Cleveland and how those guys, some of whom went into become HC and Coordinators in the future, there made like $30k or something like that back in the 90’s working more than 40 hours a week.

but on the surface $15 an hour seems low if that is what it works out to.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The better question is, was Olin being offered less than, more than or the same money someone else applying for the job would be paid?

Just because you are an NFL player doesn't mean you should make more money than someone who hasn't played in the NFL.

Power 5 O-line coaches make $500k on avg as of last year, hard to imagine the NFL pays 35K

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Power 5 O-line coaches make $500k on avg as of last year, hard to imagine the NFL pays 35K
Those are full time roles. This was a consultant role. If that means fewer hours then it should be for less money over a year. Depends on the hours was expected to provide.

but in regular businesses consultants cost more per hour than an EE but if you only need them for a fraction of the time as a full time person it’s the cheaper option.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Those are full time roles. This was a consultant role. If that means fewer hours then it should be for less money over a year. Depends on the hours was expected to provide.

but in regular businesses consultants cost more per hour than an EE but if you only need them for a fraction of the time as a full time person it’s the cheaper option.

Ahh I missed the consultant part, I thought it was a regular O-line coach job, still kind of hard to imagine they offered him the same amount he can get at Wendy's to sling Baconators

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ahh I missed the consultant part, I thought it was a regular O-line coach job, still kind of hard to imagine they offered him the same amount he can get at Wendy's to sling Baconators
It does seem rather low. Figure it would be $100 per hour if he’s there for 2 hours a day for example. That would be $1k per week and over the course of training camp to the end of the year that’s what like $25k?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Was Kreutz being hired as the O-line coach or as assistant O-line coach? Or even as a junior assistant?

And where did you get the numbers for the Power 5 coaches? That sounds high to be an average. And I would be very surprised that most NFL teams pay their o-line coach 500k a year.

If Kreutz wanted to be a coach, you usually have to start at the bottom and work your way up. My guess is he thought he should just get a coordinators job even though he had never coached in his life. Dude is a radio/tv personality. He Olin, you wanna work in the league, show up and work for free and show you have the chops to make it happen.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Was Kreutz being hired as the O-line coach or as assistant O-line coach? Or even as a junior assistant?

And where did you get the numbers for the Power 5 coaches? That sounds high to be an average. And I would be very surprised that most NFL teams pay their o-line coach 500k a year.

If Kreutz wanted to be a coach, you usually have to start at the bottom and work your way up. My guess is he thought he should just get a coordinators job even though he had never coached in his life. Dude is a radio/tv personality. He Olin, you wanna work in the league, show up and work for free and show you have the chops to make it happen.

It was here, thought I linked the article but must have forgot

College football coach salaries: Why offensive line coaches make more

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised if Irsay stuck his nose in here. He didn't make it discreet that he wasn't happy about Wentz not being vaccinated

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i prefer shanahan's response to jimmy g still being there

i guess my question would be, no wentz isn't great but, who are they going to get that is definitively better
Think about who is really set at QB? And let’s assuming Wilson and Rodgers are staying put.
AFC:
KC, LAC, LV, Cin, Bal, Ten, Jax, NE, Buf, NYJ
NFC:
Sea, LAR, AZ, SF, GB, Chi, Dal, Phi, TB, Atl

That is 20 teams. Leaves 12 teams who would like an upgrade at QB.

Watson is the main guy out there.

After him, is there really an option that is a true upgrade over what the teams not listed above would want over their guy?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wentz had a lot better season stats wise than a year back. Were they expecting even a bigger resurgence?
Think everyone covets his second nfl year where he was a legit top 3 contender for MVP before his acl tear in LA.

but he hasn’t had a season close to that since so that may be too much to ask.

like Derek Carr in 2016 he was also a legit MVP getting the raiders to like 12-3 or something before he broke his ankle vs Indy in game 15. Didn’t produce as well since, though better than Wentz has done.

Wentz is still a bit too loose. Like many physically imposing QBs they rely too much on pure arm talent and size. Need to think the game better.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Wentz had a lot better season stats wise than a year back. Were they expecting even a bigger resurgence?

My feeling is that they may be super pissed that his vaccination status may have compromised their season. He went into protocol at the absolute worst time and came back playing like shit. Pure speculation on my end though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unless they can get Wilson or the 49ers decide to cut Garoppolo loose, the Colts should probably just stick with Wentz. Who else do they get? Mitch Trubisky? Mayfield if the Browns pull that trigger? If the vax issue is an issue (and I think it is), that removes Rodgers and Cousins. Although at least Wentz never raised a shit about it like those guys did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad