Prospect Info: The 2021/2022 Prospects Thread

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Dipietro needs to be moved on this summer. Silovs is the better prospect and needs to play 40+ games in Abbotsford next year.
Yup. Goaltending pipelines are such that you can’t just have an abundance of prospects in the system like you can with wingers and hope one of them pans out. You need to prevent a logjam. Mikey’s already been in the system for about a year too long imo

May 31, 2006
Dipietro needs to be moved on this summer. Silovs is the better prospect and needs to play 40+ games in Abbotsford next year.
Yeah, I wouldn’t QO Dipietro but still sign another Spencer Martin/Richard Bachman type to split duties with Silovs and get a call up if need be.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if they tried to last year.

The murmurs of Clark’s preference for Silovs - or at least that he’s a big fan of Silovs - came out after that hell season.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I wonder if they tried to last year.

The murmurs of Clark’s preference for Silovs - or at least that he’s a big fan of Silovs - came out after that hell season.
And why not, right? If you can mould goalies the way Ian Clarke can, why not pick the bigger frame? Not to be crude or disrespectful to Mikey. Kid's got a lot of heart but it's a very tough gig for someone his size.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Viktor Persson's Blazers are in a 2 - 2 deadlock with the Thunderbirds. In the 4-games thus far he's generated no points, 6 shots, 2 PIM and has gone even.

Ethan Keppen's Firebirds are up 2 - 1 over the Spitfires. He's tallied 1 goal, 2 assists, 4 PIM, 16 shots and has gone even in his series. He's 3rd on his team in points at 11, tied for second in goals with 6, and leads his team with 68 shots.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Viktor Persson's Blazers are in a 2 - 2 deadlock with the Thunderbirds. In the 4-games thus far he's generated no points, 6 shots, 2 PIM and has gone even.

Ethan Keppen's Firebirds are up 2 - 1 over the Spitfires. He's tallied 1 goal, 2 assists, 4 PIM, 16 shots and has gone even in his series. He's 3rd on his team in points at 11, tied for second in goals with 6, and leads his team with 68 shots.
Had to read this post twice to make sure you didnt type the same team twice... All good... Thunderbirds Firebirds Spitfires Thunderfires ;)

Reactions: Tables of Stats

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Stankoven is going to be in the NHL in October.
Yes I think so too, and 100% will be sent back to Kamloops in November. No matter how he does. He could be the first leading scorer in nhl history to be sent back to junior lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It wouldn't be 'mean' at all to point out that the Canucks have more staffers in 'prospect development' than they have actual 'prospects'.

Eight people with overlapping responsibility for prospect development is frankly ridiculous. Makes me think more front office cuts are coming.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Cammi Granato - AGM (Player Development)
Ryan Johnson - Senior Direct of Player Development/GM of Abbotsford
Chris Higgins - Assistant Direct of Player Development
Daniel Sedin - Player Development (NHL and AHL)
Henrik Sedin - Player Development (NHL and AHL)
Mikael Samuelsson - Player Development (Forwards, AHL)
Mike Komarniski - Player Development (Defencemen, AHL)
Curtis Sanford - Goalie Coach (AHL)

Essentially they have added two guys dedicated to prospects and one guy for each position (forward, defence, and goalie). The Sedins will roam to where they are required between the NHL and AHL. Johnson probably gains more autonomy over Abbotsford and runs day to day operations while Higgins essentially acts as AGM of Abbotsford while doing anything else that is needed. Granato makes sure the machine is running smoothly; sets goals, best practices, and makes sure that everyone is working together.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

I wonder if some of these bites are part time gigs. For instance, will Samuelson be based out of Sweden and would he have enough to do with the handful of prospects over there for a full time workload?

I also suspect that the Sedins in the player dev department might be temporary as they spend a bit of time in each department over the next couple of years. That would be typical of corporate management training programs in other businesses.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Essentially they have added two guys dedicated to prospects and one guy for each position (forward, defence, and goalie). The Sedins will roam to where they are required between the NHL and AHL. Johnson probably gains more autonomy over Abbotsford and runs day to day operations while Higgins essentially acts as AGM of Abbotsford while doing anything else that is needed. Granato makes sure the machine is running smoothly; sets goals, best practices, and makes sure that everyone is working together.

Does anyone know anything about Mike Komarniski?

I'd never heard of him before, he doesn't have a staff profile on eliteprospects, and googling his name doesn't really lead to anything.

I assume some relative of ex-Canuck Zenith Komarniski given the unusual surname?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Does anyone know anything about Mike Komarniski?

I'd never heard of him before, he doesn't have a staff profile on eliteprospects, and googling his name doesn't really lead to anything.

I assume some relative of ex-Canuck Zenith Komarniski given the unusual surname?

I think it's a typo of Komisarek. But he's not the AHL defense guy, he's going to be the teams eastern college prospects guy.

Reactions: MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Oh yeah that’s me f***ing up Komisarek’s name while dead tired. Been fighting off a nasty flu since last Thursday and the end of the days usually lead to a whole whack of mistakes. Sorry @MS

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh yeah that’s me f***ing up Komisarek’s name while dead tired. Been fighting off a nasty flu since last Thursday and the end of the days usually lead to a whole whack of mistakes. Sorry @MS

Ha, I've been on vacation and clicked on this thread first before coming to all the details in the management thread just now.

Reactions: Vector

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Is this from an official source? Drance's article states that Samuelsson will be responsible for Europe, Komaserik eastern North America, and Higgins western North America.

Reactions: Vector

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

I don't disagree with your assessment. This experience vs hierarchy seems a little weird though. But if we're to accept what JR is saying, hierarchy/titles isn't a big part of the org anymore then I guess it's really not that important. Sameuelsson spent 3 years as a development coach with the blackhawks before spending 3 years as a GM in Sweden (abeit not in the top league). Komisarek has been in player development/coaching for 6 years.
BTW, you really messed me up with the spelling of Komisarek's name. I went into a deep dive on Zenith Komarniski!

Reactions: Lindgren and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Is this from an official source? Drance's article states that Samuelsson will be responsible for Europe, Komaserik eastern North America, and Higgins western North America.

My assumption, from last night, before his article was out today. Dividing them up that way also makes sense. My bigger point was that it wasn't too many cooks in the kitchen as long as the roles were clearly defined.

I don't disagree with your assessment. This experience vs hierarchy seems a little weird though. But if we're to accept what JR is saying, hierarchy/titles isn't a big part of the org anymore then I guess it's really not that important. Sameuelsson spent 3 years as a development coach with the blackhawks before spending 3 years as a GM in Sweden (abeit not in the top league). Komisarek has been in player development/coaching for 6 years.
BTW, you really messed me up with the spelling of Komisarek's name. I went into a deep dive on Zenith Komarniski!

As long as everyone is communicating and not confusing prospects by contradicting each other or overloading them. As @tradervik pointed out, they'll actually be divided by region rather than by position and that'll work just as fine.

I've had a brutal cough and runny nose that kicks into high gear at night and had barely slept the night before so as I was writing that post, I must have merged Komisarek and Komarniski into one human being.

Last edited:

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Old Canucks player development model:
- Hey Gaudette, we want you to be able to kill penalties. Here are some videos you can watch.
- Hey Virtanen, can you not come to training camp out of shape?
- Hey Higgins, can you travel all around North American and Europe to monitor and develop close relationships with our unsigned prospects?

Yeah, I think overhauling player development and hiring more people is not a bad idea.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Both of our remaining prospects are now out of the playoffs with each having been on the wrong side of a 7 game series.

Keppen finishes his playoff run with a scoreline of 7 - 5 - 12 in 19 games. That's 4th best on the team for points and tied for 2nd in goals, he's second on the team with 4.16 shots per game with an 8.86 shooting percentage. I really hoped for more but he couldn't hack the AHL and didn't light up the OHL so I don't see a prospect here.

We also say goodbye to Persson who ends his run with counting stats of 0 - 4 - 4 in 17 games. He feels like he doesn't do much of anything at the WHL level. We expected he'd be a top-pairing player, but he isn't. He doesn't generate points and that means he doesn't have puck skills that project to the NHL level. Another player whose stock has fallen to very long shot status this season.

Thus ends the stat updates in this thread. I wish I had better news to share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad