Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Yeah doubt Finley lasts that long. I feel he’ll be a late second or third. Huge 6’5 beast C.
I'm biased as he's a cousin of mine but I agree, I doubt he's available in the third round. I know one team had him rated just outside the first round when they had scout meetings in the winter. He only got better after that too.

Also he's one of the only 2020 draft eligible WHL guys who got the invite to the WJC summer camp(which was done virtually) so I think that shows that people in the hockey world really like him.

His dad who scouts for WPG thinks he'll go first 2 rounds to a team with multiple picks.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Don't you think thats kinda high for Lundell? Doesn't seem to have a high offensive ceiling

That certainly is higher than most rankings have him.

Anton Lundell at eliteprospects.com

Ranked #10 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #8 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #8 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #16 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #16 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #3 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #10 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #12 by TSN/McKenzie

There might be a team or two that has him in the top 5. But, I believe that will be a minority opinion.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

There might be a team or two that has him in the top 5. But, I believe that will be a minority opinion.

He’s also one of the few top prospects playing again, so he still has plenty of time to make a case for himself and move up the rankings. Or down.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It certainly will be interesting to see how the European leagues starting back up affects the draft rankings.

Will we even know? That's the crazy part...most of these publications have issued their final rankings. I can't imagine Bob adding an extra ranking, for instance. The smaller sites will be able to keep publishing lists, I'm sure, but probably not most.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Will we even know? That's the crazy part...most of these publications have issued their final rankings. I can't imagine Bob adding an extra ranking, for instance. The smaller sites will be able to keep publishing lists, I'm sure, but probably not most.

Who knows how much work Bob will do. But, if he is still working on the draft, I would be shocked if he didn't do an updated ranking and a mock draft the week or two prior to the draft taking place.

And all these websites will continue to update stuff between now and the draft. It's all about the clicks.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Gotta shoot your shot when it comes to rankings. Its too easy to get pulled into some minor variation of the consensus.

I wanted Suzuki or Yamamoto in 2017 and was told it was stupid because they weren't nearly as good as mittelstadt, and everyone had mitts higher....

I didn't even want to draft them 8th, wanted a trade down, but I guess even at 8 either would have ended up being fine

Edit: @truthbluth looking through the 2017 threads I see you were also getting dumped on for your thoughts which ended up being correct

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Well, those guys are obviously smarter than me, but the final css rankings for 2011 had Nathan Beaulieu at 5 and Mark Scheifele at 16, so, who knows?

At this point, I would rather have Lundell in the Sabres system than any of the guys I listed after him.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Gotta shoot your shot when it comes to rankings. Its too easy to get pulled into some minor variation of the consensus.

I wanted Suzuki or Yamamoto in 2017 and was told it was stupid because they weren't nearly as good as mittelstadt, and everyone had mitts higher....

I didn't even want to draft them 8th, wanted a trade down, but I guess even at 8 either would have ended up being fine

Edit: @truthbluth looking through the 2017 threads I see you were also getting dumped on for your thoughts which ended up being correct

I thought there was more or less a quorum that Vilardi was the best pick at 8? I know the Mitts pick was at least somewhat controversial around here.

I certainly don’t think many of us had Suzuki or Yamamoto nearly as high as you, nice work on that one.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well, those guys are obviously smarter than me, but the final css rankings for 2011 had Nathan Beaulieu at 5 and Mark Scheifele at 16, so, who knows?

At this point, I would rather have Lundell in the Sabres system than any of the guys I listed after him.

I'm not saying any list is better than any other list.

I am just pointing out that your ranking of Lundell in the top 5 of this class seems to be an outlier opinion.

Only time will tell if that is a quality opinion or not. It's just like any time that a team drafts a player sooner than anyone expected. Detroit taking Seider at 6OV last year is one example of that.

Some times it works out. Some times it doesn't.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

I am just pointing out that your ranking of Lundell in the top 5 of this class seems to be an outlier opinion.

Only time will tell if that is a quality opinion or not. It's just like any time that a team drafts a player sooner than anyone expected. Detroit taking Seider at 6OV last year is one example of that.

I agree that if a person has a player ranked much higher or much lower than consensus they should have to be ready to defend it, but it shouldn't be immediately discounted. Not saying you were doing that, but just seems to be a general thing whether on hf or Twitter.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I agree that if a person has a player ranked much higher or much lower than consensus they should have to be ready to defend it, but it shouldn't be immediately discounted. Not saying you were doing that, but just seems to be a general thing whether on hf or Twitter.

What makes the draft so interesting is that you've got 31 different lists playing into the picks. You get teams like Arizona taking Hayton way too early (supposedly) only for him to work out. And vice versa.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Yeah, I think it's an outlier. I also think that rankings are still dominated by outdated thinking, including there being way too much emphasis put on individual traits that only indirectly factor into players' on ice effectiveness (Size, Speed etc.). Lundell is incredibly effective on ice. He basically has zero bust potential. On top of that, his likely ceiling (not absolute best possible scenario, where he becomes one of the best players in league history, but where he ends up if his skill set winds up where it looks like it could) isn't terribly low. I hate the ceiling discussion (see parenthesis above), because it always tends to favor a specific type of player. Raymond is fast and shifty so his ceiling is Pavel Bure? I don't think that Raymond is more likely to become Pavel Bure than Lundell is to become Patrice Bergeron, and I'd rather have the latter, given the choice. That kind of talk is super weird. Raymond's likely ceiling is probably a very good scoring line winger, not a hall of famer. I think Lundell's floor isn't too far off of that, and I think his likely ceiling is a 1C, Selke candidate. I guess I don't see how Lundell is considered 'low ceiling'. I think most of the time 'low ceiling', especially when it's about a player that has produced well in his league before the draft, just means 'slow skater', and 'not flashy' and I think it is therefore silly.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I think it's an outlier. I also think that rankings are still dominated by outdated thinking, including there being way too much emphasis put on individual traits that only indirectly factor into players' on ice effectiveness (Size, Speed etc.). Lundell is incredibly effective on ice. He basically has zero bust potential. On top of that, his likely ceiling (not absolute best possible scenario, where he becomes one of the best players in league history, but where he ends up if his skill set winds up where it looks like it could) isn't terribly low. I hate the ceiling discussion (see parenthesis above), because it always tends to favor a specific type of player. Raymond is fast and shifty so his ceiling is Pavel Bure? I don't think that Raymond is more likely to become Pavel Bure than Lundell is to become Patrice Bergeron, and I'd rather have the latter, given the choice. That kind of talk is super weird. Raymond's likely ceiling is probably a very good scoring line winger, not a hall of famer. I think Lundell's floor isn't too far off of that, and I think his likely ceiling is a 1C, Selke candidate. I guess I don't see how Lundell is considered 'low ceiling'. I think most of the time 'low ceiling', especially when it's about a player that has produced well in his league before the draft, just means 'slow skater', and 'not flashy' and I think it is therefore silly.

I like Lundell as a player in general and I really like him as a fit for what the Sabres need long term.

I just would be surprised if he were off the board before the Sabres pick barring him looking amazing since he will be playing games between now and the draft.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I like Lundell as a player in general and I really like him as a fit for what the Sabres need long term.

I just would be surprised if he were off the board before the Sabres pick barring him looking amazing since he will be playing games between now and the draft.

I could see Detroit or Anaheim selecting Lundell. Plugging in a reliable, 200 foot center is a big deal, as you know. Especially one as ready to play as Lundell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad