Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

One thing I noticed looking at that list. Player's heights are definitely less of a concern than they used to be. Only 10 forwards 6'1 or taller. Many of them are 6' and under(20+ forwards with a 5 at the start of their height). Some will continue to grow obviously but its nice to see these scouts aren't concerned with size as much.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing I noticed looking at that list. Player's heights are definitely less of a concern than they used to be. Only 10 forwards 6'1 or taller. Many of them are 6' and under(20+ forwards with a 5 at the start of their height). Some will continue to grow obviously but its nice to see these scouts aren't concerned with size as much.

Some scouts aren't concerned with size. There are still some clubs operating on bigger-is-better right now, seemingly ignoring the rise of skill guys, especially skating.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Some scouts aren't concerned with size. There are still some clubs operating on bigger-is-better right now, seemingly ignoring the rise of skill guys, especially skating.
Absolutely. There will always be an infatuation with the bigger players but even just 5 years ago the numbers I posted were reversed. The majority of the forwards in the top 60 were over 6'. I just did a quick count and there was about 10 forwards in the top 60 who's height started with a 5. It's just nice to see that height isn't as big of a factor as it once was. They would've rather taken a kid who was 6'3 and try to develop his skills that he lacks in rather than take the smaller guy who has the skill to play but just needs to physically mature.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pronman: Ranking the 2020 NHL Draft top prospects at...

16. Anton Lundell, C, HIFK-Liiga
Oct. 3, 2001 | 6-foot-1 | 183 pounds
Previous ranking: No. 13
I’ve watched Lundell closely for three years – seeing him live at least 20 times and many more on video – and I still have no idea what to make of him. When I watch him play nothing about his game stands out. I think his skating is average and his skill is just above-average. But it’s hard to deny how much he scores everywhere he goes, especially versus men in Liiga the last two seasons, and how much coaches seem to trust him. I like his hockey sense a lot and think he competes very well. The question among NHL scouts is whether he’s a second- or third-line center in the league. I lean to second right now because of the track record.

Hmmmm

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I did some quick maths on playoff versus draft position for Buffalo. Bearing in mind, this isn't put through any probability calculations, just current records scaled out to 82 games. I'd imagine our play is probably going to drop off further now that Ullmark is out and Hutton has been playing like an Australian trying to swat a fly away from his face but you never know.

So, on current performance scaled out to the end of the season we would end up with the 8th pick. However, there is a small pack of teams with points close to each other so the range we are likely to fall in is 7-13.

If we pull up our socks and start pushing for the playoffs, it's still looking pretty unlikely for the Sabres to make it. 99/100 points is going to be the entry mark for the Eastern Conference, with 90 being good enough in the West. On current tracking we'll finish on 83/84 points. So with 32 games left, 64 points on offer, we'll need to get 49/64 points. For example, that's going 21-7-4 into the playoffs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I did some quick maths on playoff versus draft position for Buffalo. Bearing in mind, this isn't put through any probability calculations, just current records scaled out to 82 games. I'd imagine our play is probably going to drop off further now that Ullmark is out and Hutton has been playing like an Australian trying to swat a fly away from his face but you never know.

So, on current performance scaled out to the end of the season we would end up with the 8th pick. However, there is a small pack of teams with points close to each other so the range we are likely to fall in is 7-13.

If we pull up our socks and start pushing for the playoffs, it's still looking pretty unlikely for the Sabres to make it. 99/100 points is going to be the entry mark for the Eastern Conference, with 90 being good enough in the West. On current tracking we'll finish on 83/84 points. So with 32 games left, 64 points on offer, we'll need to get 49/64 points. For example, that's going 21-7-4 into the playoffs.

21-7-4 gets you 46 points.

The Sabres would need to play at a .770 pace to get to 100 points, and that's not taking into account other teams we would need to jump over and make sure in the 8 games against those opponents above us, we don't make them 3 point games nor do they have 3 point games against each other. Then there's NYR which has two games in hand on us (we have two games against them) and is 1 point back.

We most likely would need to be on a greater pace, all with our backup goaltender that is terrible.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
21-7-4 gets you 46 points.

The Sabres would need to play at a .770 pace to get to 100 points, and that's not taking into account other teams we would need to jump over and make sure in the 8 games against those opponents above us, we don't make them 3 point games nor do they have 3 point games against each other. Then there's NYR which has two games in hand on us (we have two games against them) and is 1 point back.

We most likely would need to be on a greater pace, all with our backup goaltender that is terrible.
Well spotted in my addition failure :) The one bit I was doing in my head, mixing up possibilities to get to 49 points and I put OTL and L round the wrong way.

Playoffs are a tall ask. My scaling up points to end of season took into account games played and games remaining. It does add in any smarts for what games are still scheduled and who plays whom. Still, 100ish to get in is a long way away for the Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Hey look, Bob has Sanderson at 9OA. Time to copy the American, NTDP, son of former NHLer defenseman thing! It'll work this time, right?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I feel like such a dinosaur on so many of these clips.

But am I the only one seeing a buddy pass, that the guy in red feels the need to literally slow down at the last second and lean head forward to really get a good view of the label?

And by then Laffy is committed to what should have been a well timed shoulder to the chest or shoulder?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If Buffalo ends up with Lundell, it’s be an unbelievable upgrade for the team. He projects as a Bergeron type 1C. Being able to slot someone like him and Cozens behind Eichel would be incredible.

He’s playing against men now. He’ll play NHL or AHL hockey next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who are the toughest, nastiest, best fighting, players in the draft that are legitimate NHL prospects?

Haven't gotten that deep into it yet.

Ethan Keppen from last year's draft was a hard player to play against and goes into hard areas to win pucks, impose himself, etc... Good thing he was selected at the Sabres pick at 122.

Oh, wait... :biglaugh:

Fire and forget missile Albin Grewe fits in the tough/nasty bit, also a pick from last year.

Maybe Tanner Edwards, a 19-year old in the USHL who is committed to Mantako? Not big, but he seems game.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If Buffalo ends up with Lundell, it’s be an unbelievable upgrade for the team. He projects as a Bergeron type 1C. Being able to slot someone like him and Cozens behind Eichel would be incredible.

He’s playing against men now. He’ll play NHL or AHL hockey next season.

How many years until this doesn't remind me of Voldemort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad