Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Can’t say I’m overly hyped about the prospects in the SHL this year. Holtz would be ok I guess but would be slightly disappointed considering how high our pick will be. Weird to see him and Raymond ranked so high.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I like Raymond a lot.
I haven’t really studied him but he doesn’t stand out like Forsberg, Fiala, Pastrnak, Nylander, Pettersson did to me nor does Holtz or anyone else this year over here.

Only seen him a handful of games but he hasn’t given me the ”different beast impression” most top prospects give me.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Suck this year for Lafreniere?

seriously, if the Sabres are in the top 10, hoping the get Lundell. Barkov-lite.

good skater, very solid on his skates. Isn’t going to blow anyone away with edge work or speed but he’s a good skater.

possibly the highest hockey IQ in the draft class. Makes plays few even think to try. Great hands and can turn defenders inside out. Great passer, can drive a line, 200 foot player. Mature beyond his age. Played in Liiga as a 17 year old and played well. Might be pro ready now.

Assuming we draft outside the top 3 (Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond), who is everyone starting to eyeball?

The Anton Lundell bandwagon starts here

Negative ghost rider..... you can be my wingman!

:laugh:

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Assuming we draft outside the top 3 (Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond), who is everyone starting to eyeball?

The Anton Lundell bandwagon starts here
A Barkov type centre would be perfect. Really anyone in that top 10 tier would be a big help. Rossi plays a Crosby/Marchand type game where he is small but his core is so strong he bulldozes along and creates so much. Stutzle has so much potential. Holtz might be the best sniper in the draft. Perfetti is so smart and creates so much even if he ends up on the wing. Even grabbing Drysdale, an elite skating, high IQ RHD to complement Dahlin for the next decade would be big. About the only guy I would not want is Askarov. UPL is already in hand and JJ has come on this year. There are bigger needs elsewhere.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
A Barkov type centre would be perfect. Really anyone in that top 10 tier would be a big help. Rossi plays a Crosby/Marchand type game where he is small but his core is so strong he bulldozes along and creates so much. Stutzle has so much potential. Holtz might be the best sniper in the draft. Perfetti is so smart and creates so much even if he ends up on the wing. Even grabbing Drysdale, an elite skating, high IQ RHD to complement Dahlin for the next decade would be big. About the only guy I would not want is Askarov. UPL is already in hand and JJ has come on this year. There are bigger needs elsewhere.

i don’t have my rankings in front of me, but Rossi is another personal fav.

I have Lundell at 4 and I think Rossi at 8

Zary and Stranges are two others I like a lot.

Stranges has such a unique game. People here called me crazy for having Makar #1 overall... while Stranges is not a #1 overall type talent, he’s similar in the way he plays the game in a unique/special way. He pops off the screen in the same way Makar did... where you’re like “whoa, did he just do that?”

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Can you guys who are following closely this year just tell me which guys you don’t like? I need to prioritize my time and only want to dig into the players we might draft.

Reactions: mechaworm

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Okay so I read that and I'm supposed to believe that because he is 5'9", he might go as late as 10. Wtf. Please fall to us.

Cole Caufield slid, in part, because of his lack of ideal size.

It won't surprise me if things like size and age cause Rossi to slide further than his talent and results in the OHL suggest.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Cole Caufield slid, in part, because of his lack of ideal size.

It won't surprise me if things like size and age cause Rossi to slide further than his talent and results in the OHL suggest.

Sure it happens every year.

I can see why Colefield slid, not a lot of little guy goal scorers in the nhl, and I always find the raw production of those guys difficult to rate as predictive. So he could make it or not, but I get why.

If Rossi keeps this up, in one of the best, most consistent junior leagues in the world? Is his bust potential Drouin? Haven't seen much beyond some shift clips, but it looked like his skating wasn't super impressive, perhaps that's the disconnect.

Otherwise, why am I not getting Marner hype with his production.

Edit: by those guys, I meant usndt guys, not some weird short guy alliance.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Stranges has such a unique game. People here called me crazy for having Makar #1 overall... while Stranges is not a #1 overall type talent, he’s similar in the way he plays the game in a unique/special way. He pops off the screen in the same way Makar did... where you’re like “whoa, did he just do that?”
Stranges skating stands out the minute you see him. Consistency seems to be his biggest issue, especially playing with high end talent in London. But that skating keeps him out of bust territory even if the rest of his game doesn’t develop.
Zary flys under the radar. Kid has great wheels and is producing at a great clip in the Dub. He will be a very good number 2 centre in the league that does it all.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Stranges should be considered...with our 2nd round pick if he's on board.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
My current top 20, with my two ideal targets given our projected finish:

upload_2020-1-14_16-44-34.png

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Looking at all these “scouting lists” no one can agree on anyone after Lafreniere and Byfield at 1 and 2.

I really like Zary if they are drafting 9-16. Do it all centre with an edge.

Stutzle may have the most explosive raw skills in the draft. It is whether he fully realizes his game that teams have to decide on.

I don’t think there is a bad choice in the top 10.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t think they get Lundell at 4ish, even if he is the guy I have wanted the most. I would love to see Stutzle or Rossi because they are both exceptional offensive talents.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
My current top 20, with my two ideal targets given our projected finish:

View attachment 307661
Some are predicting Askarov to go top 10, potentially to the Sens with their second 1st round pick. I wouldn't take him for BUF though.

Given our current spot, and assuming we don't get a lottery pick, I'm with Chainshot ... Stutzle or Rossi would be good choices.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
@Jame @Chainshot

I wouldn't get tied to Lundell. It's going to be a poor-man's repeat of 2014. I lot of folks thought the top 3 of MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin was a foregone conclusion. I don't think Lundell will leap over Byfield, but I think he goes top 5 over a lot of skilled players who many professional and amateur draftniks will rate as better prospects.

Combined with that thought, I don't see Krueger letting the team crash like Housley did.

I'm looking at Zary as the target.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
@Jame @Chainshot

I wouldn't get tied to Lundell. It's going to be a poor-man's repeat of 2014. I lot of folks thought the top 3 of MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin was a foregone conclusion. I don't think Lundell will leap over Byfield, but I think he goes top 5 over a lot of skilled players who many professional and amateur draftniks will rate as better prospects.

Combined with that thought, I don't see Krueger letting the team crash like Housley did.

I'm looking at Zary as the target.

yea, pre lottery top 5 is probably out of reach (Det, Ott, LA, Ana, NJ), but they next 8 spots are really up for grabs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad