GDT: The 2020/2021 Season Opener - Your New Jersey Devils at home against the Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Wow. That's a lot of icetime for Subban. Honestly, though, all things considered, I think he played a pretty solid game. Nothing terrible, nothing great either. Just solid. He did have a couple nice shots in the O-zone though.

Reactions: Mgd31

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
lol couldn’t imagine being mad about this one. got creamed in the first and kept it 1-1. came back twice against a very good team and held them to 2 power play goals. blackwood is a stud, young players looked good. came away with a point we’re already ahead of the rangers, penguins and sabres

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Didn't deserve any points really, so one is nice. Some encouraging things. Blackwood is a stud and the team got better as the game went on.

Still sucks to lose in the gimmick on such awful attempts. Hughes legit should have just dumped the puck in and went back to the bench.

Reactions: Signal and mdj12784

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Honestly, given how God awful that first period was I look at this as a pretty damn good outcome.

It's going to be a challenge this season with a young team; Devils need to work on finishing ability and consistent scoring, no doubt about it. But they definitely got better as the game went on, and maybe that'll be a theme as the season goes forward. It's the nice part about watching a young team, they have a tendency to improve, so long as they're in a good system.
Wow. That's a lot of icetime for Subban. Honestly, though, all things considered, I think he played a pretty solid game. Nothing terrible, nothing great either. Just solid. He did have a couple nice shots in the O-zone though.
It's a low bar to clear, but just "solid" defense on this club would be a massive step up after the past couple of seasons. For now, I'll take it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What’s Zacha’s shootout percentage? I remember a couple goals, but they hardly ever use him. They used Palmieri way too much last year with hardly any success. I’m glad they didn’t use him in the top-3 tonight.

Hughes should be getting close to being farther back in the shootout order.

Try Zacha before him in the next shootout.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
A few takes.....
-Holtz, Graeme and Foote value has just gone up in this organization. This is currently a pass first team
-About time we have a coach who shows confidence in our youth. I agree. learn from your mistakes on the ice. Not in the press box.
-Sherangovich may never be a first line star, but we just got another top young prospect we never thought we had last year. But Rask gave him a lot of the net on that overtime shot and he shot right at him. A good toronto mens beer league hits that shot virtually everytime with that much time. His shot might be an issue.
-Strong Game by Zacha and MCLeod. I posted the following earlier
“MCLeod is f***ing money tonight. Maybe Ruff could be what he needs. I think Ruff is letting him go with it and be more offensive. Seeing him play in Mississauga about 15 times and about 10 times with the Marlies I always saw him as being a star in the NHL even before we drafted him.
This is what I remember. I think it couldve been Hynes and Shero’s coaching staff that held him back. Him and Zacha have both had strong games and if they can flourish under Ruff, the two prospects who we thought we lost, might’ve been found”.
-This is a new coach with a new system and many new players and three top players out and we just lost to Boston in a shootout. Boston is still very good. It takes time to gel and learn systems.
-Don’t judge PK Subban based on his salary. Judge him by what he is an offensive number 4 defenseman with flair. Salary isn’t an issue for us. Why blame Subban when a GM was willing to sign him to that contract and our GM was willing to trade for him and that salary? On the ice he’s hated by opposing teams. Off the ice he is respected by opposing teams. He is a fan favorite, a great ambassador and philanthropist.
-Hopefully Smith runs with the confidence of scoring a goal in his first NHL game. I’ll admit I was extremely dissapointed at the prospects tournament last year, but nerves aside, I think he had a good game.
-No concerns with our goaltending when it comes to rebuilding
-I don’t expect this team to make the playoffs. I don’t think any of us do, but as someone who has seen many of these players play since minor hockey I say let them play and see what they got. What do we have to lose when we know we probably aren’t winning this year. Let them gain experience, confidence and coaching so they know how to play the game when we really need them, like next year and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad