Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VII

Which player are you hoping drops to 16th overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I am going to be upset when Chicago takes Turcotte.

You shouldn't be...AVs are getting a good player regardless from an unexpected windfall from the Sens collapse. Talent is greater between the 1-2 vs 3-6.

So assume the 3/4 picks are Byram/Turcotte. Which pairing is more attractive?

• Option 1 - Byram-Makar (DMen 1st line Pairing)
vs​
  • Option 2 - Mackinnon-Turcotte (1C & 2C)
Option 1. To draft a future 1D to create a pairing of 1Ds is extremely rare. It's nearly impossible to create such a young talented DMen pairing. AVs will still have Girard/EJ and Zadorov/Timmins to fill the remaining pairings which is an obscene amount of riches for 3 pairings that no NHL team could match. Opens the possibility to move Barrie for further assets. Closest top pairing comparisons are: Werenski/Jones or Provorov/Sanheim.

Option 2. 2Cis the biggest need. Turcotte seemingly is the perfect match. Stellar player that plays a defensive 2C behind the impressive Hughes, but among the team leaders in scoring; without being blessed with the exceptional Wingers. Relentless 200' Game, with tremendous speed and less of a drop off in scoring. Less risky than drafting a DMan high, it opens the possibility to take chances at 16th.

I believe the Hawks will take Byram for the same reason as the AVs, to pair with their future 1D - Boqvist. Turcotte is likely the choice anyways. Irrespective of the Hawks decision, AVs can't really lose with either player. Pressure is on the Hawks and AVs choose the other.

:D

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
You shouldn't be...AVs are getting a good player regardless from an unexpected windfall from the Sens collapse. Talent is greater between the 1-2 vs 3-6.

So assume the 3/4 picks are Byram/Turcotte. Which pairing is more attractive?

• Option 1 - Byram-Makar (DMen 1st line Pairing)
vs​
  • Option 2 - Mackinnon-Turcotte (1C & 2C)
Option 1. To draft a future 1D to create a pairing of 1Ds is extremely rare. It's nearly impossible to create such a young talented DMen pairing. AVs will still have Girard/EJ and Zadorov/Timmins to fill the remaining pairings which is an obscene amount of riches for 3 pairings that no NHL team could match. Opens the possibility to move Barrie for further assets. Closest top pairing comparisons are: Werenski/Jones or Provorov/Sanheim.

Option 2. 2Cis the biggest need. Turcotte seemingly is the perfect match. Stellar player that plays a defensive 2C behind the impressive Hughes, but among the team leaders in scoring; without being blessed with the exceptional Wingers. Relentless 200' Game, with tremendous speed and less of a drop off in scoring. Less risky than drafting a DMan high, it opens the possibility to take chances at 16th.

I believe the Hawks will take Byram for the same reason as the AVs, to pair with their future 1D - Boqvist. Turcotte is likely the choice anyways. Irrespective of the Hawks decision, AVs can't really lose with either player. Pressure is on the Hawks and AVs choose the other.

:D

I agree with you, Byram and Turcotte seem to be in the class by themselves (with Caufield if you believe in magic) under Hughes Kakko. Man I would love if the Avs went YOLO and took Caufield though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ahh you can probably talk me into many different options at this point, just doesnt seem like many people think zegras will go that high

I think you'd be surprised how high some are on him. For my money the top 2 are the only ones with higher realistic-ceilings than Zegras and there's been reports that some scouts have him as high as #3...I still like Pod just the tinsiest bit more just because he appeals to the more physical/tenacious style of game that I've always had a soft spot for in skilled players, but if we're going with a C then I'm taking Zegras over everyone in this class other than Hughes.

Reactions: BigMack29

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I agree with you, Byram and Turcotte seem to be in the class by themselves (with Caufield if you believe in magic) under Hughes Kakko. Man I would love if the Avs went YOLO and took Caufield though.

I'm not too interested in the small Caufield, but his shot and skating is outstanding.

Getting both would be a huge win as they'll play together this Fall for the UWisc. Drafting both would accelerate their readiness to join the NHL.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Guys and gals... a new ranking is out and Turcotte isn't #4 on it!

Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects

Always interesting. Dach is lower than other places. Pronman having Broberg that high also surprises me.

Avs walking away with Byram/Turcotte and Podkolzin wouldn't be a bad day one. I'd still guess Podkolzin won't be there at 16 but he might go closer to that pick than 4.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sadly can't see the list, but I'll hazard a guess and say he is #3.

Here you go:

1- Hughes
2- Kakko
3- Turcotte
4- Byram
5- Caufield
6- Zegras
7- Cozens
8- Boldy
9- Broberg
10- Dach

No real surprise except that he has Caufield in the top 5 and Broberg in the top 10. Dach is really low.

Pod is down there at #12, Lavoie at #21 and Knight isn't listed (skater only).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pronman on Lavoie:

The pure tools scream first-round pick. He’s 6-foot-4, skates well for a big man and has a high skill level. There are times when you see him come down the wing, power his way to the net or make a skilled play to create a chance and you think that translates to an NHL scorer. He flashes high-end puck skills but it hasn’t been consistent. He’s got a hard shot and scored quite a few goals this season from long distance.

Man do we need that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Isn't that what most are doing with Dach? Skating, perimeter ect.

There's too much footage of Dach when he's disengaged to say that, and I don't know all that much about the technical aspects of skating so I cede that question to Henchy and folks that know more about what can realistically be "fixed" in someone's stride.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
There's too much footage of Dach when he's disengaged to say that, and I don't know all that much about the technical aspects of skating so I cede that question to Henchy and folks that know more about what can realistically be "fixed" in someone's stride.
I've only watched about 10 games from Dach but I've never seen this footage? Not trying to be a dick but I'm not sure this footage exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad