Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Man scouts obviously see something in Podkolzin. #3 on Mckenzie's list even still.

6'2 RW? Sounds like we could use him, even though I know HF (this board and main) is not a fan

The guys interviewed for Bob’s list know the kid’s personality, habits, attitude, etc., much more than any of us, and those things are all a huge factor with players like this. I think there’s a lot of worry there that could either be assuaged or reinforced by chatting with him, and interviewing people who have worked with him, which we obviously don’t get to do. Maybe all those worries disappear once you learn more about the off-ice factors

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Furthermore to my post earlier, point totals at the junior level do not mean all everything to future success. Lets be honest, both Cozens and Dach have the absolute prototypical playoff 1C type tools. Where Krebs and maybe even Turcotte have more of that 1B/2C type of upside. Krebs and Turcotte might be what Mike Richards/ROR where in there primes while Dach/Cozens could be prime Getzlaf/Sundin type franchise talents. It really is a gamble. The biggest question scouts will have with Krebs isn't if he'll play, it's if he's a future top end player.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Furthermore to my post earlier, point totals at the junior level do not mean all everything to future success. Lets be honest, both Cozens and Dach have the absolute prototypical playoff 1C type tools. Where Krebs and maybe even Turcotte have more of that 1B/2C type of upside. Krebs and Turcotte might be what Mike Richards/ROR where in there primes while Dach/Cozens could be prime Getzlaf/Sundin type franchise talents. It really is a gamble. The biggest question scouts will have with Krebs isn't if he'll play, it's if he's a future top end player.
I like Krebs’ chances. He plays armed with will and determination, and grace too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

While it's fun to look in on Newhook's highlights, it's finding things on Berger (overager) that also fits the Sabres current dev model - mobile offensive defenseman, going to an NCAA program, long-term investment return.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Looks like that St. Louis Pick is going to be headed to Anaheim now so I wonder if he will make it to the bottom of the first round then seems like there's a good chance based on these rankings anyways.

Maybe - there is a possibility some team takes him as the second defense after Byram so he may not make it down to the Sabres second first rounder.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

ISS Hockey Releases ISS Top 31 for April, Rankings of the Top Prospects for the 2019 NHL Draft - ISS Hockey

April 3, 2019 [Waterloo, ON] ISS Hockey has released its new monthly rankings of the top prospects eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft. The rankings have been created and compiled by our worldwide network of scouts.

Below is the ISS Top 31, highlighting the rankings for the top 31 skater and top 2 goalie prospects, which is released on the first Wednesday of every month during the hockey season. An interactive page where the ISS Top 31 can be viewed, sorted, and commented on, and where users can interact with our scouts, can be viewed at: isshockey.com/iss-top-31

April ISS Hockey Top 31 Ranked Prospects for 2019 NHL Draft

RankNameD.O.BTeamLeaguePositionShotHeightWeight
1Hughes, JackMay 14/01USA U18NTDPCL5.10.25*168
2Kakko, KaapoFeb 13/01TPS TurkuFinERWL6.02.25*194
3Byram, BowenJun 13/01VancouverWHLLDL6.00.5*194
4Podkolzin, VasilyJun 24/01St. PetersburgKHLLWL6.01190
5Cozens, DylanFeb 9/01LethbridgeWHLCR6.03*181
6Turcotte, AlexFeb 26/01USA U18NTDPCL5.11*189
7Dach, KirbyJan 21/01SaskatoonWHLCR6.03.5*199
8Boldy, MatthewApr 5/01USA U18NTDPCL6.00.75*175
9Zegras, TrevorMar 20/01USA U18NTDPCL5.10.75*159
10Krebs, PeytonJan 26/01KootenayWHLLWL5.11.25*180
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Damn. Turcotte was so quiet until these latest lists. Now we’re going to need to
Stay 4.

I did a lot of sims, and we either won, or moved down. I couldn’t stay at 4 in 50 tries.

Reactions: Chainshot

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Just like last year. No worries. We will get first pick.

So scared of that.

Botts: “we found our 2C!”

Olof jack Reinhart
Mitts Hughes Nylander

This top 6 get eaten the f*** alive next year. Development will suffer, and ill be looking at the 2020 thread where Sabres fans are saying “don’t worry! Lafriernere will fix it!”

If we get Hughes, our plan will have to be very carefully reorganized. He’d HAVE to start on the wing, in a sheltered role, where his center isn’t Mittelstadt. Of course, then I don’t know where to put Mittelstadt...

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Damn. Turcotte was so quiet until these latest lists. Now we’re going to need to
Stay 4.

I did a lot of sims, and we either won, or moved down. I couldn’t stay at 4 in 50 tries.
Based on the math, and if the standings stay the same, Buffalo has less than a 3% chance of drafting exactly 4th. They are most likely to draft 6th, and still get a very good player. Lets assume Buffalo drafts 6th:
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3,4,5 (Byram, Cozens, Turcotte) Assuming that the Russian factor drops Podkolzin.
6th choice of (Krebs, Dach, Zegras, Podkolzin)
Wouldn't be excited about Dach, because I think he's got a decent bust chance, but those other 3 would all be top tier additions to the pool.

Reactions: Chainshot

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I love the size and the skill in the top 5 at forward (minus Hughes's size). Where's the talent drop off in this years first round?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Honestly, if our other first is around 25 (or worse...thanks, Botts), just trade back a few spots and pick up a 2nd rounder. Get another player.

So scared of that.

Olof jack Reinhart
Mitts Hughes Nylander

This top 6 get eaten the **** alive next year. Development will suffer, and ill be looking at the 2020 thread where Sabres fans are saying “don’t worry! Lafriernere will fix it!”

If we get Hughes, our plan will have to be very carefully reorganized. He’d HAVE to start on the wing, in a sheltered role, where his center isn’t Mittelstadt. Of course, then I don’t know where to put Mittelstadt...

And don't forget, "Now we have to trade Sam due to the next contracts for Hughes and Dahlin!!!"

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So scared of that.

Olof jack Reinhart
Mitts Hughes Nylander

This top 6 get eaten the **** alive next year. Development will suffer, and ill be looking at the 2020 thread where Sabres fans are saying “don’t worry! Lafriernere will fix it!”

At this rate, the only way this operation doesn't bleed talent is to win the lottery.

So I'm over here selling years of my life to the devil so that you can watch Dahlin for a career, and you don't havevthe decency to accept my offer?

A disgrace.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Honestly, if our other first is around 25 (or worse...thanks, Botts), just trade back a few spots and pick up a 2nd rounder. Get another player.

Want to know what's funny/sad, there's like a 5% chance that our GM would trade that 1st Round pick to move back in the 2nd round and also pick up a 3rd rounder next year. And I fear there is an 80% chance that an apologist for Botts would tell us it was a great move, and the real payoff will be next year...I just made myself sad.

This is a GM that traded away their 6th round pick away, because they didn't have anybody ranked around that spot, but yet drafted someone in the 7th round...

Reactions: HaNotsri

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Cozens is about as humble as an 18 year old gets.

I'd love to go something like Cozens + Harley. IMO in three years the chances are way better of Harley being in the same class as guys like Byram then a forward at 20 being as good as someone like Dach/Cozens.

I completely agree with this, buuuuut....having said that, i cannot *not* say....

love too draft high-iq, offense-only players from mississauga lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad